Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Ehliz, Yasin 0 0%
Fischer, Zach 0 0%
Gawdin, Glenn 12 4.46%
Healey, Josh 1 0.37%
Joly, D'Artagnan 1 0.37%
Karmaukhov, Pavel 0 0%
Klimchuk, Morgan 96 35.69%
Koumontzis, Demetrios 0 0%
Lindstrom, Linus 2 0.74%
Lomberg, Ryan 0 0%
Mattson, Mitchell 0 0%
McDonald, Mason 0 0%
Pettersen, Mathias Emilio 0 0%
Phillips, Matthew 139 51.67%
Pollock, Brett 1 0.37%
Pospisil, Martin 0 0%
Rafikov, Rushan 0 0%
Roman, Milos 0 0%
Ruzicka, Adam 10 3.72%
Schneider, Nick 0 0%
Shinkaruk, Hunter 1 0.37%
Sveningsson, Fililp 2 0.74%
Tuulola, Eetu 4 1.49%
Zavgorodny, Dmitri 0 0%
Voters: 269. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2018, 10:28 AM   #21
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

My concern with Ruzicka is effort level. I've seen games where he is a complete no-show.
The upside and skill is there but too often he just is invisible.
That worries me.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:29 AM   #22
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

After a clear cut top 8 the waters get really muddy here on out. We will be lucky if anyone from 9 onward develops in to an NHLer.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:30 AM   #23
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
This is where these polls become interesting. I believe that there is at least one NHLer left on the board. It will be interesting to see who CP thinks that will be.

My choice is Adam Ruzicka. He is 6'4" 203 pounds at 19. He was just about a point per game player in his OHL career. The one draw back I read in his scouting reports is consistency. That is something that he can work on. A year in the AHL will do wonders for his game.
I was disappointed that Ruzicka didn't show up in the OHL playoffs when it matters the most. For a big body he doesn't seem to play very big. He will struggle to even play in the AHL if he doesn't have the drive to succeed.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:33 AM   #24
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
My concern with Ruzicka is effort level. I've seen games where he is a complete no-show.
The upside and skill is there but too often he just is invisible.
That worries me.
I agree, but effort is something that can be worked on. At this point every prospect left to be ranked has warts. Klimchuck has the highest floor but has a low ceiling. Phillips is a point production machine but is just over 5 feet. Gawdin has a wicked release but doesn't skate well. Ruzicka has size and skill but has no consistent will. Pick your poison.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:34 AM   #25
flame^thrower
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I went with Klimchuk. Interested to see how he does this year. Hopefully he continues to progress.
flame^thrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:41 AM   #26
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I guess I am just less high on Phillips than the rest of this board. He is very talented, but unlike the smaller guys before him (Gaudreau, Mangiapane), he isnt as physical. In the half-dozen games I saw him play live last year, he just got pushed off the puck too much. I don't see his game translating to the NHL....But that's just me.

I took Adam Ruzicka. His improvement last year was fun to watch, and with his size/skill combo, I do think there is a chance he is an everyday player in the bigs.
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:45 AM   #27
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Both good prospects here. Still voting Klimchuk. Definitely a ledge for me after these two.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:48 AM   #28
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Voted for Lindstrom... but I got ahead of myself. I haven't slept, and seemed to skip both Klimchuk and Phillips.

It will be interesting to see how Phillips does in the pro league against men. I discounted Mangiapane, and it looks like he is going to be an NHL'er. I won't discount Phillips.

Klimchuk probably belongs here. He has an NHL-type game, and nobody has made a mention of his shot. He has an elite shot - a total sniper shot. Not that my vote will make a difference, but I have it as Klimchuk - Phillips - Lindstrom. I just worry about Klimchuk's durability. If he starts getting a bit more durable, I think he becomes an NHL'er.

Ruzicka doesn't have that drive in him for me to rank him anywhere close right now. Sure, he can wake up and get a bit of drive into himself, and if he does so, he might be a legitimate force to be reckoned with. I just think that often it is the determination and perseverance, along with consistency, that sets a prospect off on an NHL career, while another prospect plies his trade in Europe.

I have Sveningsson, Zavgorodny and obviously Lindstrom ahead of him in the next batch of prospects, perhaps a few more. I just like prospects with a high compete level and who exhibit that compete level consistently - which is why I like Zavgorodny so much, and why I have been very high on Rafikov in the past. I actually am not a big fan of Russians unless they have a very high compete level. I don't know where to vote Rafikov - I haven't heard any news on him or seen any video, so I would have no idea where he would rank, so he may default to the last couple of picks this year for me (as he has for most of you the last poll or two already).
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:04 AM   #29
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Linus Lindstrom votes are interesting to me. For whatever reason I am a fan of this player. He has played 95 game in the SHL which is likely the 3rd best league in the world. His team went all the way to the finals last year. Still, his point totals are pitiful in that league. However, he is only 20 this year so he still has room to grow. His Super Elite J20 numbers were good, so he has been a scoring talent at other levels. I would like to see him come to the AHL sooner rather than later.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:35 AM   #30
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incogneto View Post
I guess I am just less high on Phillips than the rest of this board. He is very talented, but unlike the smaller guys before him (Gaudreau, Mangiapane), he isnt as physical. In the half-dozen games I saw him play live last year, he just got pushed off the puck too much. I don't see his game translating to the NHL....But that's just me.

I took Adam Ruzicka. His improvement last year was fun to watch, and with his size/skill combo, I do think there is a chance he is an everyday player in the bigs.
When did Johnny become physical? I think it's "never", but even if he did it was certainly not as a prospect.

My question is whether Phillips can be as elusive as Johnny, which is a super high bar. Johnny succeeds by not getting trapped where he can be easily pushed off (when he does get trapped, exactly that happens) and by not taking a hit.

That being said, if you look at short players who succeed, their skill set and what makes them good is a pretty mixed bag. Some have raw speed, some are aggressive despite their size, some are elusive, etc. I guess the common denominator would be hockey IQ.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:44 AM   #31
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hard time voting for any of these players. Our hope is one of these remaining guys surprises and becomes an established NHLer. Klimchuk and Shinkaruk both require waivers this year so it's hard to vote for them, given I don't even see them being claimed by any other team...so I'd hope for a little more from our 9th best prospect.

I think Gawdin is my favourite lottery ticket at this point...
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:07 PM   #32
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I voted Klimchuk. Good character kid with a good all around game. He’s no #1 prospect but I do think he fits in this range.

Phillips I’m not a believer in til he shows it against men. Don’t think he’s anywhere near as elusive as Gaudreau. I’ll remain skeptical on him until he proves it at a level higher than the WHL.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:09 PM   #33
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
This is where these polls become interesting. I believe that there is at least one NHLer left on the board. It will be interesting to see who CP thinks that will be.

My choice is Adam Ruzicka. He is 6'4" 203 pounds at 19. He was just about a point per game player in his OHL career. The one draw back I read in his scouting reports is consistency. That is something that he can work on. A year in the AHL will do wonders for his game.
Ruzicka just no showed the OHL playoffs. Pretty worrying sign IMO. I’m pretty down on him based on that.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:14 PM   #34
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

E2
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:34 PM   #35
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

3rd times a charm for Phillips; I think this player is my dark horse to have an impact at the NHL level, his road to the show still has miles left to travel no doubt but I think he could turn out to be an absolutely fantastic pick for us.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:46 PM   #36
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went with Klimchuk. I think Flames would not have given him a contract if they didn't think he has a decent chance of helping the Flames this next season.

Phillips is in comparison more of a longshot IMO at this point.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote