Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2018, 06:11 AM   #541
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
I don't see it that way. I posted it after all the facts were out.
Actually the facts aren’t out. The investigation is on going, the women pictured isn’t yet a suspect, the racist language comes from word of mouth of a passerby, the motive is completely unknown. The “facts aren’t out”, but here you are rushing to judgement.

Now, I’m not saying it doesn’t fit in the thread, it does and it’s a horrible story, but it doesn’t meet your own standards. The rest of your post makes it pretty clear you’re just part of the “complete toxic tribal anti science hyperbolic dumbing down of (internet) society.”

If trolling a thread you don’t like is fulfilling, have at er. But you’re not fooling people, we all see it.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 08:31 AM   #542
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like that Fox News is held to the same journalistic standard as...uh...YouTubers...

Speaking of 30 second videos.

https://www.facebook.com/bentley.san...1701961186720/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:06 AM   #543
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Actually the facts aren’t out. The investigation is on going, the women pictured isn’t yet a suspect, the racist language comes from word of mouth of a passerby, the motive is completely unknown. The “facts aren’t out”, but here you are rushing to judgement.

Now, I’m not saying it doesn’t fit in the thread, it does and it’s a horrible story, but it doesn’t meet your own standards. The rest of your post makes it pretty clear you’re just part of the “complete toxic tribal anti science hyperbolic dumbing down of (internet) society.”
she has been charged now

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/13/us/el...rge/index.html

Quote:
Laquisha Jones, 30, was arraigned Thursday at the Los Angeles County Superior Court and stood behind her lawyer, away from TV cameras. She was also charged with elder abuse, infliction of injury.

Last edited by MelBridgeman; 07-19-2018 at 09:49 AM.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:11 AM   #544
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I like that Fox News is held to the same journalistic standard as...uh...YouTubers...

Speaking of 30 second videos.

https://www.facebook.com/bentley.san...1701961186720/
Cenk Uygur is more than just a youtuber - look at his work history.

The YTN is more than just a youtube channel. They raised 20 million last year for gods sakes.

I would suggest not to pass of youtube as just some sort of fad.
The Following User Says Thank You to MelBridgeman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 09:46 AM   #545
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I don't mind be called out when i am wrong but you are wrong..

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/13/us/el...rge/index.html

Off your moral high horse if you are going to pedal false information in this thread. ^ And since you are coming at me with a condescending attitude well right back at ya
Fair enough, why didn’t you just post the article with the facts originally? The article you posted claiming it was different did not provide that, and considering both articles seem to have been published before your post, you probably could have just posted the article that says the lady was actually apprehended and charged, no?
Old 07-19-2018, 09:47 AM   #546
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough, why didn’t you just post the article with the facts originally? The article you posted claiming it was different did not provide that, and considering both articles seem to have been published before your post, you probably could have just posted the article that says the lady was actually apprehended and charged, no?
Ok i see fair enough, i take it all back
Old 07-19-2018, 10:06 AM   #547
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Cenk Uygur is more than just a youtuber - look at his work history.
I'd never heard of him until this post. A quick visit to wikipedia reveals that he named his son Prometheus Maximus. So I assume he's a complete wanker.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 10:24 AM   #548
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I'd never heard of him until this post. A quick visit to wikipedia reveals that he named his son Prometheus Maximus. So I assume he's a complete wanker.
That goes without saying.

He got into the ring with Shapiro last year

Old 07-19-2018, 11:08 AM   #549
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
You, the great searcher of progressive intellectuals and follower of Sam Harris, has never heard of Cenk Uyger? That’s fascinatingly telling.

Obligatory rational wiki:
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/The_Young_Turks
Old 07-19-2018, 11:45 AM   #550
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That’s fascinatingly telling.
I'll bite - what does it tell you?

Also, I've listened to about six or seven of Harris' podcasts. I haven't read any of his books. I've never donated. I'd hardly characterize myself as a 'follower.'

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 07-19-2018 at 11:47 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:46 AM   #551
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cenk Uyger really is a wanker.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 11:52 AM   #552
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I listen to a lot of Harris's podcasts, and he rarely mentions Cenk except in passing. I don't think they've directly interacted since this.

But yeah, Harris aside, Cenk is pretty terrible. He'd fit right in as some random, not terribly bright youtuber with a small niche audience, but the reach of TYT in terms of audience simply exceeded his capabilities as a thinker. He's sort of like if Rogan actually presented himself as a knowledgeable and intelligent authority.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:24 PM   #553
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I listen to a lot of Harris's podcasts, and he rarely mentions Cenk except in passing. I don't think they've directly interacted since this.

But yeah, Harris aside, Cenk is pretty terrible. He'd fit right in as some random, not terribly bright youtuber with a small niche audience, but the reach of TYT in terms of audience simply exceeded his capabilities as a thinker. He's sort of like if Rogan actually presented himself as a knowledgeable and intelligent authority.
That "debate" or discussion was the verbal equivalent to Harris beating him half to death with a shovel. Cenk can't stand on his own 2 feet. Then again, Harris incredibly intelligent so it's not an easy standard to be up against.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:23 PM   #554
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Update on the news I posted earlier about the confrontation at a private pool for residents only, where a black family was asked by the caretaker to produce ID at the request of a suspicious resident, Colin Goss, that saw them getting ready to use the pool.

He actually seems fairly genuine in his regret and gets emotional at the end of the interview, where he gets a chance to tell his side of the story.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4335540/b...ool-id-surrey/
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:03 PM   #555
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

He saw them scan in, yet believed they were trespassing? Strange story. Does he think he knows all the residents?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:43 PM   #556
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cenk is a loudmouth obnoxious maroon, why are we even bothering with him?
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:29 AM   #557
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Cenk is a loudmouth obnoxious maroon, why are we even bothering with him?
Many may disagree with me, but I think it's valuable to listen to people and media sources you may think of as nutty but who have a big following. If a person or network is communicating a message and has a large audience, then it's worth listening to even if you vehemently disagree because it helps to actually understand the point of view of people in that audience. Even the Alex Joneses of the world are worth listening to on occasion to understand where their audience are coming from.

People really should be discouraged from just pursuing and consuming media sources that confirm their own world view, but that's what most of us do.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2018, 07:33 AM   #558
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Update on the news I posted earlier about the confrontation at a private pool for residents only, where a black family was asked by the caretaker to produce ID at the request of a suspicious resident, Colin Goss, that saw them getting ready to use the pool.

He actually seems fairly genuine in his regret and gets emotional at the end of the interview, where he gets a chance to tell his side of the story.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4335540/b...ool-id-surrey/
I don't really believe his story. the situation should have ended after the woman produced her key fob. when the pool staff then told Goss the family belonged it should have ended there.

no way he should have then took it upon himself to confront the family after that.
he should have minded his own business. racist or not, at that point he's a total jerkoff.

I just read the article but didn't watch the video.
did he explain why he didn't complain about any of the other people at the pool or why he didn't run around confronting anyone else?

if the strata was that worried about trespassers, then make everyone prove they should be there. not just the black people.

on the surface, it really does appear he targeted the family because they were black.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:51 AM   #559
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Despite being a blowhard at times and relying on cultural norms rather than logic Cenk did better than I expected, especially considering that Harris is fine-tuned machine in this format.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:31 PM   #560
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are calls here to boycott Trevor Noah over a bad joke he made about Aboriginal women in 2013.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/ent...23-p4zt0x.html

It happened 5 years ago after which Noah learned from his actions, sincerely apologised, and removed the joke from Youtube and his routine. What more was he supposed to do?