Old 07-20-2018, 11:41 AM   #142
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
So this is insane. Like the player and all, but holy crap

https://twitter.com/user/status/1020343675359059968
Okay, I've never heard of him because I dont watch much Watford, but he got 5 goals and 4 assists in 38 matches.

Is he a stellar shut-down mid or something? What am I missing here?

EDIT: What? Hes a striker? Thats terrible!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:07 PM   #143
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice piece of business from Watford though - buy a guy for 11M, have him score 5 goals, sell him for 50M
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:08 PM   #144
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Richarlison was outstanding from August to November, then the Watford troubles began (when Everton tried to sign Silva) and the wheels came off. At times I thought Richarlison was going to be the next big thing. Not really surprising that Silva wants to re-sign him.

EDIT: 5 goals and 4 assists in his first 12 games last season, pretty impressive. Then he - and Watford as a whole - completely imploded.

EDIT2: but it'd be incredibly stupid to pay 50m for Richarlison and then sell Lookman to Leipzig for only 20m or so. But hey, that's the same club that thought an old Rooney could replace Lukaku, so everything is possible. They were A LOT smarter before they got their sugardaddy.

Last edited by devo22; 07-20-2018 at 12:23 PM.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:41 PM   #145
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not a bad player but prices are getting totally out of hand. Also... I know Watford is small, I like everton and goodison park a lot but wtf are players doing going to a club like Everton from another prem team, to me, outside of the big 6 clubs jockeying around the other premier league teams almost seems pointless, totally lateral moves. Zero chance of winning the league and the wage structure for most of those clubs is not that different. Top earner at Watford is on 70k a week and they just came up, if you're a good player at any non-top 6 club you're going to top out around 100k a week unless you're a legend. I know Rooney makes 150 but if Watford stay up for a few seasons their top earners will all be on 100-120. All the income is in TV money now and there's increasingly less between all the clubs that are outside of europe.

Maybe Watford didn't see him as meriting a pay increase? Or he realized he could get more house for his money in Liverpool? Obviously his agent's cut of the transfer fee is what did it.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:47 PM   #146
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Not a bad player but prices are getting totally out of hand. Also... I know Watford is small, I like everton and goodison park a lot but wtf are players doing going to a club like Everton from another prem team, to me, outside of the big 6 clubs jockeying around the other premier league teams almost seems pointless, totally lateral moves. Zero chance of winning the league and the wage structure for most of those clubs is not that different. Top earner at Watford is on 70k a week and they just came up, if you're a good player at any non-top 6 club you're going to top out around 100k a week unless you're a legend. I know Rooney makes 150 but if Watford stay up for a few seasons their top earners will all be on 100-120. All the income is in TV money now and there's increasingly less between all the clubs that are outside of europe.

Maybe Watford didn't see him as meriting a pay increase? Or he realized he could get more house for his money in Liverpool? Obviously his agent's cut of the transfer fee is what did it.
I think Marco Silva is key here. He was instrumental in getting Richarlison to Watford in the first place, and Richarlison was frustrated when Silva was sacked and vented on social media. His form also completely dipped without Silva. Playing for him again is probably tempting after the early success they had together last year.

Also, a part of the fee is apparently compensation for the illegal approach Everton made over Silva last season. There's still a complaint and a possible multi-million settlement on the table, so speculation is that paying over the odds for Richarlison will make that go away.

But yeah, some prices are insane and some clubs clearly have too much money available for their own good. Leicester paying 12m for Liverpools 3rd or 4th choice goalkeeper is ridiculous too.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:21 PM   #147
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yes that makes sense and I'm a bit harsh on Everton there as I know they are bigger than Watford but sometimes lately it seems like players are moving these days just for the sake of the move, often leaving good situations and ending up on the bench or less successful - do they get a cut of the transfer fee themselves or something?

The media is all over these Zaha to Everton rumors right now and they just make zero sense, he already makes more than 99% of the squad at Everton, there's nothing between the teams and he's the whole focal point of Palace's attack as the main man. Can't tell if it's just this media era where there are so many people trying to be "sport journalists" and have something to talk about or a hot take or players are just bouncing around for the sake of it with some of these rumors.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:44 PM   #148
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Yes that makes sense and I'm a bit harsh on Everton there as I know they are bigger than Watford but sometimes lately it seems like players are moving these days just for the sake of the move, often leaving good situations and ending up on the bench or less successful - do they get a cut of the transfer fee themselves or something?

The media is all over these Zaha to Everton rumors right now and they just make zero sense, he already makes more than 99% of the squad at Everton, there's nothing between the teams and he's the whole focal point of Palace's attack as the main man. Can't tell if it's just this media era where there are so many people trying to be "sport journalists" and have something to talk about or a hot take or players are just bouncing around for the sake of it with some of these rumors.
Like I said in a previous post, theres just so much more to transfers in soccer.

The manager, the City (ie. palace, Croyden is adjacent to Hell) and various other deals and feelings between players and owners and managers, its weird.

But at the same time in your comparison with Zaha, he probably thinks he can be the main man at Everton and he probably looks at guys like Rooney and Lukaku who used that as a springboard to bigger, better and more lucrative things.

Now thats not necessarily true or accurate, but its likely there.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-21-2018, 04:09 AM   #149
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Manchester United pictures being used to promote Man City's US tour game!

The International Champions Cup organisers have a tough job at times, trying to sell games such as Borussia Dortmund vs Manchester City to a largely disinterested American audience.

Since we arrived in the Windy City, the only signs of there actually being a game between two European heavyweights has been a few TV adverts, and some posters outside the splendid Soldier Field stadium.

Only problem is that the pictures they have used on those posters are of Manchester United star Joel Pereira, playing in last season's tournament.
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...-tour-14934289

Old 07-21-2018, 07:07 AM   #150
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Manchester United star Joel Pereira
Uhhhhhhhhhhh.......
Old 07-23-2018, 11:02 AM   #151
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Loris Karius has used Instagram to hit out at people who "take joy in seeing other people fail or suffer."

Karius posted the message on Instagram shortly after he played the entirety of Liverpool's 3-1 defeat to Borussia Dortmund in Charlotte on Sunday.

The goalkeeper has been under intense scrutiny so far this preseason following his two costly errors in the Champions League final defeat to Real Madrid back in May, and he was the subject of more criticism for his performance against Dortmund.

"To those who take joy in seeing other people fail or suffer, I feel for you," he wrote after the game. "Whatever it is that's happening in your life to hold this much anger and hate, I pray that it passes and good things come to you."
http://global.espn.com/football/live...offers-support

I dont think the people criticizing Karius are taking any joy in his suffering, but I think they'd take joy in his limiting their suffering my making the occasional save from tim to time or perhaps just going a couple of games without some complete howlers.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:23 AM   #152
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think he just has to move ASAP. Not like they need him now after signing Alisson, and he'll never get his confidence back at Liverpool. Change of scenery would be the best for him.

Too bad he seems to be so fond of social media, because obviously hate is omnipresent there.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:29 AM   #153
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
http://global.espn.com/football/live...offers-support

I dont think the people criticizing Karius are taking any joy in his suffering, but I think they'd take joy in his limiting their suffering my making the occasional save from tim to time or perhaps just going a couple of games without some complete howlers.
It's funny because Lewis Hamilton had the exact same quote yesterday on his IG.

Spoiler!

You can't even come up with a unique statement? It's like he let in a bad goal all over again!
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2018, 11:35 AM   #154
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I think he just has to move ASAP. Not like they need him now after signing Alisson, and he'll never get his confidence back at Liverpool. Change of scenery would be the best for him.

Too bad he seems to be so fond of social media, because obviously hate is omnipresent there.
We still need a backup goalkeeper and I dont think Mignolet is cool with that so it may well be Karius.

But Karius? Who would have him? No one. No one....

Old 07-24-2018, 10:31 AM   #155
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

random.. The Asian Games football tournament is turning into a farce. It starts on August 14 in Indonesia and the draw for the 24 teams was done earlier this month. Except they forgot two teams, Palestine and UAE. So tomorrow they have to redo the draw with 26 teams.

That aside, what is important to you folks here is that Spurs have released Son Heung-Min for the tournament. He will miss the first 4 weeks of the premier league season. They are banking on him winning the gold medal which means he will be exempt from military duty in 2020.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:34 AM   #156
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
random.. The Asian Games football tournament is turning into a farce. It starts on August 14 in Indonesia and the draw for the 24 teams was done earlier this month. Except they forgot two teams, Palestine and UAE. So tomorrow they have to redo the draw with 26 teams.

That aside, what is important to you folks here is that Spurs have released Son Heung-Min for the tournament. He will miss the first 4 weeks of the premier league season. They are banking on him winning the gold medal which means he will be exempt from military duty in 2020.
I heard that he has until he's 35 to do that service? I don't really know about how that works and what the requirements are though. Spurs signed him through 2023 this summer though, so presumably they have some kind of clause relating to this either way.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:45 AM   #157
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

he has to go when he's 29, in 2020 or 2021

When Korean men turn 20, they receive a letter to enlist in the following year. In 2017, males born in 1997 were invited to enlist in 2018. Most Korean men enlist after freshman or sophomore year of college.

Though the enlistment letter arrives after the 20th birthday, men could postpone the enlistment for many reasons. Illness, death of a family member, university and graduate school, enlistment of a sibling, opening a business, raising a child, and more (including being a professional soccer player or a singer/actor).

However, men can’t postpone enlistment for any reason when they turn 29.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2018, 11:44 AM   #158
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like the French are invading England.

Quote:
Thierry Henry has been lined up to replace Steve Bruce as Aston Villa manager
http://global.espn.com/football/asto...-villa-sources

Old 07-24-2018, 12:40 PM   #159
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not good news for Gooner fans. Not good news at all.

Quote:
Arsenal fans fear their club will be run from America if Alisher Usmanov sells his stake to US majority shareholder Stan Kroenke.

The Financial Times reported this morning that Usmanov is actively exploring the sale of his 30.4 per cent share in Arsenal after accepting that Kroenke will never sell full control to him.

Russian billionaire Usmanov failed with a £1bn takeover bid to buy out Kroenke in May last year and has become frustrated at not having a seat on the board or any say over the running of the club. He turned down Kroenke’s £525m offer for his shares in October.

Kroenke owns a 67 per cent stake in Arsenal and there are fears that if he acquires the club outright then it could lead to a reduction in transparency.
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...-a3894956.html

Listening to Robbie on AFTV and he was repeating speculation that Usmanov could take his money, follow to and join forces with Moshiri at Everton. If so Arsenal's loss will be Everton's gain and we could very well see Chelsea v2 up there with Usmanov in control.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...oring-14944900

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:42 PM   #160
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its rare that you see the Russian bemoaning the lack of transparency of the American...