Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 08:52 PM   #21
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
While a popular take on some conservative news sites, this is not, in fact, true:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/na...etnam-veteran/
Here's the deal on Phillips.

He enlisted in the USMC (Reserve) under the name Nathanial Richard Stanard. He served just under four years, from 20 Aug 1972 to 5 May 1976. He was active duty 12 Aug 74 - 5 May 76

The USMC discharged him with the exalted rank of Private. He didn't even make Private First Class. His first stint was in Lincoln, NE. He was an electrician/reefer mech.

He worked at the USMC base, El Toro, CA, '74-'75. During that period, he was charged and convicted - wow - three times for AWOL. Don't go AWOL in the Marines; they don't like that $hit.

OK, so he served during the Vietnam War, but not in Vietnam. Alright. I don't think he has actually said that he served in Vietnam. However, he doesn't correct the media either and seems to let CNN, etc run with that narrative. He has stated that he was spit on by hippies when he came home. Take it for what you will, but that's a Rambo line, isn't it, implying he was spit on when he came home from Vietnam? Who knows, maybe he meant that he was spit on when he came home from the brig? He's a cagey dude. Certainly, service people in those days were hassled, whether they served in Vietnam or not.

But, what he did state was that he was a "Recon Ranger", of which there is no such thing. He was a Reefer Ranger lol. That is definitely stolen valour.

Last edited by Baron von Kriterium; 01-23-2019 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Corrected his enlisted name
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 09:01 PM   #22
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

These kids didn't know anything about Phillips being in the army. They only knew he was an old native american guy singing and drumming. So what does the fact that he may or may not have been a veteran have anything to do with them mocking him in a racist manner?

I don't expect an answer to this question because it keeps getting ignored and brought back to the one kid or back to Phillips somehow being the bad guy. I wonder why that is?

Is the racism against an elder okay if he allegedly lied about being a Vietnam veteran? (Which hasn't been proven one way or the other by the way.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 09:02 PM   #23
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
So since he didn't actually serve in a war, it was okay for them to mockingly taunt him... because he was a native american guy drumming? Seems pretty racist, no?
Taunting someone doesn't necessarily equate to racism. But alas most ideological possessed have the bar set so low it would make MLK roll in his grave.

Furthermore they weren't taunting him. The chanting and screaming started well before Mr. Phillips walked over to the boys. (see videos)

The left ideological possessed only see ethnicity (much like the identitarians on the right). You then refer to your oppression stack and see where both ethnicities stack up. Oh Native American is lower on the stack than white person. WHITE PERSON BAD ... feeding your confirmation bias you look for ANYTHING to confirm WHITE PERSON BAD.

that's pretty low thinking on my critical thought stack!

The real losers in this story are the dudes yelling homophobic/antisemitic slurs - but due to their position on the oppression stack - they seem to be getting a free pass.

I could care less if Nathan Phillips led people on about his service (Vietnam era veteran). I care more about the fact that a lot of media and some in twitter daycare blue checkmark crazy land reported it as fact without an inch of research - his own wikipedia page says he was born in 1954 - making him 16 in 1970 - pretty much during a time when troops were being sent home and also makes it very unlikely he was in Vietnam.

Please note: the oppression stack only applies to North America (mostly the USA, works somewhat well in Canada..just different) - when applied to other parts of the world in tends to fall apart.

Last edited by MelBridgeman; 01-23-2019 at 09:13 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MelBridgeman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 09:04 PM   #24
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
with them mocking him in a racist manner?
Thanks for your opinion. How did you conclude that? Racism is pretty serious and not a joke so dangling that word around is a pretty serious and extraordinary claim...which requires extraordinary evidence. Please share!?
The Following User Says Thank You to MelBridgeman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 09:08 PM   #25
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

Yeah, I don’t think the people calling him a war veteran are any better than the people wanting him charged with stolen valor. Points can be made without distorting the truth or completely ignoring it because some interpretation of it suits your narrative better.
the war veteran thing is a non issue really..who cares.. the more important issue is that his original statement about the events and what the video shows (build the wall chant and the boys coming up to him and surrounding him) aren't the same for whatever reason.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:10 PM   #26
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Vietnam thing matters to establish trustworthiness. If he's willing to lead people on to believe he was a Vietnam Vet he certainly losses a lot of credibility elsewhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 09:11 PM   #27
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

These MAGA hat wearing kids doing tomahawk chops, whooping and mockingly singing along weren't taunting him? Pardon?

Soooo you're saying that Tomahawk chops, whooping and mockingly singing in the native american style isn't racist? That they weren't clearly taunting Phillips?

Maybe you believe that but I know what my eyes clearly saw.

and I'd like to hope most rational people on this site can see right through that gaslighting b.s. of yours for what it is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 09:15 PM   #28
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
These MAGA hat wearing kids doing tomahawk chops, whooping and mockingly singing along weren't taunting him? Pardon?

Soooo you're saying that Tomahawk chops, whooping and mockingly singing in the native american style isn't racist? That they weren't clearly taunting Phillips?

and I'd like to hope most rational people on this site can see right through that gaslighting b.s. of yours for what it is.
We're talking about Sandmann and Philips. Sandmann was doxxed and his life turned upside down. Stick to the topic at hand. If you want to talk about the others kids, sure, I'll definitely grant doing the Atlanta Braves/FSU tomahawk chop was probably dumb at the best.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 09:17 PM   #29
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Did you watch the 2 hour live stream?

I mean let's take this photo for instance

I see with MY OWN EYES..Mrs Clinton doing a Nazi salute! SHE IS A NAZI!!!!
Old 01-23-2019, 09:22 PM   #30
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
No, I didn't lie. A mistyped CNN interview was later corrected. He was quoted as saying he was a Vietnam vet, and it was later changed to "Vietnam era vet".

There's memes going around with him being listed as a Vietnam vet, including that ####ty satirical article. He heavily implied it and got what he wanted.

Your post sucks, your opinion on this sucks, you've totally gone off the rocker. I literally have no other way to describe your opinions here other than hot garbage.
Oh, so there are memes, and an article that you knew was mistyped, and so he committed a crime in your eyes and should be vilified for it? Because memes said so?

Again, this is different than accusing the boys of racism because an article said so... how?

Throwing out insults doesn’t strengthen your point. You’re guilty of the same annoying, embarrassing outrage culture that is most concerned with getting a pound of flesh than getting it right, and it’s disgusting. You’re no better than the people wishing ill-will on those boys.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 09:23 PM   #31
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
We're talking about Sandmann and Philips. Sandmann was doxxed and his life turned upside down. Stick to the topic at hand. If you want to talk about the others kids, sure, I'll definitely grant doing the Atlanta Braves/FSU tomahawk chop was probably dumb at the best.
Don't tell me to stick to the topic at hand as if the mob of boys behind him had nothing to do with any of this. Last time I checked they were still there in the video and not back home at covington high.

Tomahawk chop- dumb at best? Similarly they should have done some spear chucking motions at the black israelites while they were at it. Dumb at best huh?

besides, Sandmann will probably be appointed supreme court judge by the republican party someday at the rate things are going. His life is gonna be just fine.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:30 PM   #32
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
black israelites
what are your thoughts on these guys? I mean on the offensive stack these guys were on top....not outraged at a bunch of homophobes? You must be homophobic?
Old 01-23-2019, 09:34 PM   #33
station
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I have zero interest in determining what actually happened or which of these characters is or isn't the worst person in history. Clearly we can only helplessly interpret what we think happened based on our own politics / ideals / cultural norms, etc. even with 2 hours of video evidence.

Instead, what's concerning to me is that teenage boys are being raised to think that taking a field trip to protest women's rights is a swell thing to do in 2019. I mean we know it's out there somewhere but it's certainly different to see that energy in the raw like that.

Those boys don't need to go to the white house to have tangerine grandpa Simpson shout some gibberish at them, or get puffball questions from Fox News hosts. In the video they act like the indigenous fellow literally walked out of history into real life and it occurred to me that these sheltered kids from a religious all-boys school in the deep south may have actually never seen a native person or native imagery except maybe in cartoons and football logos. (It turns out the state of Kentucky has an aboriginal population of only 9500 out of 4.4 million people. Alberta on the other hand has 250,000 out of just under 4 million and indigenous imagery is woven into our culture).

Getting served stale berders from chief MAGA will only reinforce their (likely) narrow world views. What those boys need is to go to a powwow, or billet an international student, read a smuggled copy of On The Origin Of Species, or go to college in NYC and maybe have a gay roommate. Instead of doxxing and shaming these kids or painting them as innocents unfairly maligned, the world should reach out to these kids and show them some s**t; let them see there is more out there than red hats and walls.

Last edited by station; 01-24-2019 at 12:50 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:38 PM   #34
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
what are your thoughts on these guys? I mean on the offensive stack these guys were on top....not outraged at a bunch of homophobes? You must be homophobic?
It's really hard to tell sometimes if you're an alt right true believer or just a bigoted troll. Props if you're just a troll because you're not bad at it. But if you actually really believe half the #### you say then.. yikes. You're a lot dumber than you sound.
The Following User Says Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 09:38 PM   #35
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

OMG why is everyone talking about this? It is ####ing weak sauce even at its most misinterpreted...at WORST some people were being rude.

Move on...give your heads a shake

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fozzie_DeBear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 09:43 PM   #36
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's really hard to tell sometimes if you're an alt right true believer or just a bigoted troll. Props if you're just a troll because you're not bad at it. But if you actually really believe half the #### you say then.. yikes. You're a lot dumber than you sound.
cool now that the tantrum/name calling is over.. what is your thoughts on those dudes? The homophobes?
Old 01-23-2019, 09:46 PM   #37
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And all the other kids behind him? what say you of them? All innocent as well?
don't know - more concerned with the Hebrew dudes shouting homophobic slurs, your thoughts?

Last edited by MelBridgeman; 01-23-2019 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:49 PM   #38
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
cool now that the tantrum/name calling is over.. what is your thoughts on those dudes? The homophobes?
The Following User Says Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 09:53 PM   #39
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Cool meme bro!

Thoughts on the homophobes?
Old 01-23-2019, 09:53 PM   #40
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Since you used a Breakfast Club gif it’s fitting to say... answer the question, Claire.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread