Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-29-2018, 06:55 PM   #21
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Big signing today as the Riggers inked Rhys Dutch who was released by Vancouver yesterday. He’s getting up there but his big shot will be a big weapon
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2018, 07:48 PM   #22
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Pumped to have Duchy on the team, dude is all heart.

Remain frustrated that we keep re-upping Malawsky as coach. He has a losing record over the last four years, and nothing has really pointed to a change in direction. McBride is assistant coaching for the Mammoth this season, could see him turning into a decent coach as he has been paying his dues in Jr. A. Toth assistant coached for a while in Vancouver too. Maybe a homer move, but I think the fans would get behind giving one of them a shot at running the Necks.

Also, Mike Board is a nice enough guy but he ended up as GM because he was the web guy for CSEC and had some lax background? Gotta think we can try something different.

We have some decent tools, I'm sure other teams would love to have Currier, Berg, Bell. Dickson is still a threat, and even Dobbie is hanging on. Still astounded we gave up Sciliangno in the expansion, Board told a STH meeting they would keep both goalies at all costs. Just can help but get a vibe that there is a real culture problem with the team. They start the season slow and never seem to get cranked up like they used to.

Here's hoping we see something good in a couple of weeks.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:12 PM   #23
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not reading too much into it as it was a preseason game, but the Rush had their way with us last night with a 17-11 loss. One bright spot is I think Rhys Duch had 5 goals of our 11. Didn't see any of the game, looking forward to the home opener next week.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:33 PM   #24
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

seems odd that a team like Vancouver who aren't good would let Duch go... always liked him as a player
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:27 PM   #25
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

No Berg or Curtis Dickson to start the season it looks like. Both are still negotiating contracts.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:09 PM   #26
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Utterly brutal loss to Vancouver. Should have that game under control despite not having a couple of our top players. Vancouver's roster is a serious re-build, tons of guys who have never played at the NLL level.

Del Bianco looked a little shaky compared to last season, but our fourth quarter was an offensive disaster. It's like the Roughnecks got back on their heels and fell into forcing low percentage shots with tons of clock rather than working the ball on set plays. Bold is a decent goalie, you need to take away his line of sight.

Dobbie came to play, was worried about him being in game shape with the short camp. Loewen looked good, Duchy was solid. Defensively we struggled to keep the ball outside in the second half.

I know I'm a broken record on this, but Malawsky has to be able to coach them out of these regressions. This pattern is getting old.

Overall game product lacked a little something last night, new in-game host and the crowd was a bit light. Was happy to see some young guys in the roster, we need to keep refreshing the core.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:36 PM   #27
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Line-up was very thin with both Dickson and Berg still out. But then you also didn't have Jesse King who was a very late scratch. So you basically had Dobbie on the left doing all he could, and Duch on the right. The rest was largely guys like Loewen who you don't usually rely on for offense or rookies/sophmores like Pace (who was very good), Dickson and Boushy.

Dobbie was dominant in the first half but they really keyed on him in the second half and Bold turned back into the Bold from a few years back.
But the real difference was Del Bianco who just didn't have a good night and never got on track.

No excuses for blowing a lead like that, but they didn't get saves. It was a game they should have had.
Puts pressure in the team to sign one of Dickson or Berg now. The line-up just doesn't have enough weapons. Getting King back will help.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 09:05 AM   #28
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Utterly brutal loss to Vancouver. Should have that game under control despite not having a couple of our top players. Vancouver's roster is a serious re-build, tons of guys who have never played at the NLL level.

Del Bianco looked a little shaky compared to last season, but our fourth quarter was an offensive disaster. It's like the Roughnecks got back on their heels and fell into forcing low percentage shots with tons of clock rather than working the ball on set plays. Bold is a decent goalie, you need to take away his line of sight.

Dobbie came to play, was worried about him being in game shape with the short camp. Loewen looked good, Duchy was solid. Defensively we struggled to keep the ball outside in the second half.

I know I'm a broken record on this, but Malawsky has to be able to coach them out of these regressions. This pattern is getting old.

Overall game product lacked a little something last night, new in-game host and the crowd was a bit light. Was happy to see some young guys in the roster, we need to keep refreshing the core.
Even prior to this ridiculous loss I have felt that Malawsky needs to go, would like a new voice. too many times when they have a fast break, he seems to want them to set up. Need to turn guys like Bell loose. These guys don't make much, just sign Dickson and Berg.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:17 PM   #29
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Del Bianco was a huge reason we lost on the weekend. Very disappointing to have let that one slip through the fingers.

The Hail Mary passes in overtime weren't any help either. I don't understand why they kept trying to force a very low percentage pass.

Ugh.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Esoteric For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 04:25 PM   #30
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
Even prior to this ridiculous loss I have felt that Malawsky needs to go, would like a new voice. too many times when they have a fast break, he seems to want them to set up. Need to turn guys like Bell loose. These guys don't make much, just sign Dickson and Berg.
A good friend of mine has often said that Malawsky needs to go. He was a STH for many years and finally said enough is enough and didn't renew this year.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:18 PM   #31
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
Del Bianco was a huge reason we lost on the weekend. Very disappointing to have let that one slip through the fingers.

The Hail Mary passes in overtime weren't any help either. I don't understand why they kept trying to force a very low percentage pass.

Ugh.
Agreed, he wasn't good and gave away several possessions with the low percentage passes. That Vancouver team is not good, a very embarrassing loss being up by 4 in the 4th. Malawsky plays to not lose, need someone more aggressive. "prevent" D doesnt work
Old 12-17-2018, 10:46 PM   #32
cavalera403
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

https://calgarysun.com/sports/lacros...uld-sit-longer

Well reading this doesn’t make me feel very good about the season.
cavalera403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cavalera403 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2018, 12:36 PM   #33
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalera403 View Post
https://calgarysun.com/sports/lacros...uld-sit-longer

Well reading this doesn’t make me feel very good about the season.
with the low salary these guys make, they have agents? that seems odd to me. Flames organization needs to step up, this is ridiculous. going to be a long season for a team that has not improved in some time
Old 12-19-2018, 09:06 AM   #34
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

That's ridiculous. Spend the money.
If they don't play this year, and we still have the same coaching, I don't think I'm renewing season tickets next year.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:40 PM   #35
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
That's ridiculous. Spend the money.
If they don't play this year, and we still have the same coaching, I don't think I'm renewing season tickets next year.
I can see your point. team has an easy first few weeks and the chance to set up a good year and they cant sign these guys. much preferred when Banister owned them, he is a better lacrosse man than Board. This team continues to flounder.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:40 PM   #36
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Nine minute interview with Malawsky on 960 this afternoon. Lots of softball questions, nothing about gassing the home opener, nothing about Dickson/Berg not signed.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:25 PM   #37
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good win against the San Diego seals tonight 9-5

Back and forward all game until the 4th quarter and the flood gates opened for us and we scored 4 unanswered goals

Del Bianco looked sharp in the 2nd half
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:52 PM   #38
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Great game, 109 combined shots in a 9-5 game. Nuts. I will admit I looked up the league record for lowest scoring game in the 4th when it was still 5-5. (7-4 Toronto-Albany in 2001) Both goalies were dialed in tonight. San Diego's D played us well at times, but we showed some nice adjustments. Duchy was such a good pick up. Burton had a weird night, lost the first 11 face offs and then went 5 of 7 to finish the night. Currier seemed a bit off his usual loose ball gathering self. Boushy's got to be happy with two goals in such a tight game.

Nice to have Frankie give the crowd a bit of a wave after the handshakes. Still one of my faves, was sorry to see him go.

No Bell tonight, anyone hear why?
Old 01-06-2019, 03:37 PM   #39
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Suddenly 3-1 with a win over Mammoth and best in the west. Still no Dickson and Berg, also no Bell and Pace this game. Del Bianco was great again, and we would be in deep trouble if we hadn't have signed Duch. Dobbie had a good start to the season but wasn't much of a factor today. Loewen is coming on a bit better but still needs to work on shot placement. Getting some good looks. Currier with a goal off transition is always a big help. Burton continues to struggle on faceoffs (6-22).

Watched the game on BR Live, thought the video quality was better than last season but still got annoying drops on the feed.
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2019, 07:19 PM   #40
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Suddenly 3-1 with a win over Mammoth and best in the west. Still no Dickson and Berg, also no Bell and Pace this game. Del Bianco was great again, and we would be in deep trouble if we hadn't have signed Duch. Dobbie had a good start to the season but wasn't much of a factor today. Loewen is coming on a bit better but still needs to work on shot placement. Getting some good looks. Currier with a goal off transition is always a big help. Burton continues to struggle on faceoffs (6-22).

Watched the game on BR Live, thought the video quality was better than last season but still got annoying drops on the feed.

Pace was put on the DL. Not sure about Bell.
The Following User Says Thank You to Julio For This Useful Post:

Tags
lacrosse , nll , roughnecks