Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2018, 09:59 AM   #41
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

For me I would say Mandarin and Spanish - for the coverage and the sheer number of speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
japanese never carried value and neither will mandarin
Speaks like a true Korean!!
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:01 AM   #42
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I started with Spanish. The nice thing about it is that it makes learning other languages like French, Portuguese, and Italian MUCH easier. The latter two are mostly identical to Spanish, in fact, with only some minor differences; so much so that on my most recent trip to Europe I could speak Spanish in these countries and still have a rudimentary level of understanding with locals. Another nice benefit is that if you ever go vacationing in Mexico or other parts of Latin Central America, the locals will absolutely love you for it.

French is useful here in Canada of course (and will be extremely helpful for anyone looking for a job in government or sales), west Africa, and I found is understood in a large part of Europe along with the obvious France and Switzerland as well. Plus we are fortunate to have so many immersion and schooling opportunities for French here, that will make it by far the easiest for a young Canadian to become fluent in.

I have my doubts about the value of Mandarin since it's a huge time investment to learn, does not have a lot of immersion opportunities (outside of maybe the Greater Vancouver Area), and most Chinese nationals you're likely to engage with will know at minimum basic English, or will speak Cantonese anyway.

The best advice I can give is to start with whatever language you're interested in and go from there. You're much more likely to stick with something you're interested in learning rather than whatever is "valuable."

Last edited by mrdonkey; 10-12-2018 at 10:05 AM.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:04 AM   #43
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
For me I would say Mandarin and Spanish - for the coverage and the sheer number of speakers.

Speaks like a true Korean!!

She's Korean? I thought they were just a K-Pop fan.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:10 AM   #44
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Spanish and Mandarin, hands down.

However it depends what you want to do with it. Farsi is good if you want a career in national security.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:10 AM   #45
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't waste time on French personally.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 10:14 AM   #46
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless you are truly interested in a gov't job in Canada, I would scrap French. In all my travels, French has not been a helpful option. Morocco perhaps but they are slowly switching to English as a second language.

My first preference for a second language would be Spanish. Second would be Mandarin.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:21 AM   #47
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

French is basically free through the CBE, so I wouldn't disregard it since you have a lot of resources and French teachers here. Spanish, she would be more likely to have to spend extra time outside of school, which might not be so desireable, in addition to learning with less frequency than she would French.

I would only say, try to figure out the European French dialect. Apparently Canadian French sounds really nasty to European French speakers.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:23 AM   #48
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
The 2 most difficult languages in the world are Mandarin and Finnish.

I would go with German.

Funny, before I met my wife I was studying Mandarin since I had intended to visit China eventually. Verbally I found it quite easy to get a hang of, it was just the written characters that were difficult to keep track of. After marrying a Vietnamese girl though and trying to learn that language, it's way more difficult IMO even though it's the only Asian language to use the latin alphabet. The pronouns in Vietnamese alone are a struggle to get my head around
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:35 AM   #49
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Funny, before I met my wife I was studying Mandarin since I had intended to visit China eventually. Verbally I found it quite easy to get a hang of, it was just the written characters that were difficult to keep track of. After marrying a Vietnamese girl though and trying to learn that language, it's way more difficult IMO even though it's the only Asian language to use the latin alphabet. The pronouns in Vietnamese alone are a struggle to get my head around
ha!

vietnamese is the best and worst language in the world at the same time

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:45 AM   #50
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
French is basically free through the CBE, so I wouldn't disregard it since you have a lot of resources and French teachers here. Spanish, she would be more likely to have to spend extra time outside of school, which might not be so desireable, in addition to learning with less frequency than she would French.

I would only say, try to figure out the European French dialect. Apparently Canadian French sounds really nasty to European French speakers.
As one Frenchman described it to me: Quebecois french is just like European french, only you have a roll of quarters in your mouth.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:49 AM   #51
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
As one Frenchman described it to me: Quebecois french is just like European french, only you have a roll of quarters in your mouth.

I heard it was something like the French Canadians adding some "dz" sound to the certain words insetad of a better flowing sound. In any event, the French guy I talked to said he prefered to speak to English to these people because it was easier on his ears.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:03 AM   #52
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Almost every where in Europe you can find really good english speakers... Except France.. The damn french.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:05 AM   #53
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

As many others have stated, Mandarin and Spanish. IMO the reason for this is that it has the highest coverage for travel where finding someone who can speak English to help is much more difficult.

For instance, most places that speak French generally have enough people who can speak English as well. India has a ton of people who speak English.

Knowing Spanish can also aid in guessing French.

Not to stomp of Quebec'ers, but I have definitely heard that Quebecois French is definitely less elegant than French spoken in France. I believe the major differences are all "Qu" sounds are more like "K" and Quebecois has a bit of slang that slurs words together and drops syllables (ie: Chez pas vs Je ne sais pas?). I've heard someone describe it as listening to someone speak French over a walkie talkie with poor reception. That being said, I recall a comedian say the easiest way to pretend you know how to speak French is to close your eyes, make exaggerated facial expressions and mumble.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:24 AM   #54
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Almost every where in Europe you can find really good english speakers... Except France.. The damn french.

They speak great English when they realize you are Canadian and not American. I witnessed this many times.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:24 AM   #55
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Mandarin and Spanish are very valuable for business opportunities.

French is also valuable. There are a lot of jobs in government that are only available to bilingual French/English speaker.

From a purely opportunity/skills point of view Mandarin, Spanish, and French are the only languages I would consider. Languages like German, Russian, or Arabic could be valuable, but a lot of their international business is done in English, and most people in those countries will likely speak better English than your kid's secondary language.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:36 AM   #56
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

It is way easier to become Prime Minister and a Supreme Court judge if you speak french and english. Do you really want to limit your daughters future already?
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:46 PM   #57
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
They speak great English when they realize you are Canadian and not American. I witnessed this many times.
Just spent a week in Paris and beg to differ. Next to no one spoke good English let alone half assed english. Almost everyone I know has had similar experience in France.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:12 PM   #58
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spanish.
I know knowing some Spanish, got me out of some very precarious situations in Mexico.
Also you can converse with Filipino people with it.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:37 PM   #59
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

We've gone with Spanish for our kids for a few reasons. We seriously considered both Spanish and Mandarin (largely for the reason stated by others). However, I think Mandarin would be harder to learn. Largely because we as parents would be much less likely to pick it up and practice with them. Also, there is a well regarded CBE spanish program near where we live, so we plan on sending them there, which I think makes it much more likely that they'll continue the language learning they're doing now (pre-school aged).

The most common question we get is why not French. I get that reduces opportunity for government/political jobs, but I've never met anyone who had a job like that I'd consider happy. I don't have a perfect sample set, obviously, so no need to reply that you're a bureaucrat and the happiest person on earth. I think Spanish will open up a comparable amount of private sector opportunities, and we use it already when travelling.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:44 PM   #60
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think it even limits your ability to get government jobs. IIRC,they just send you on a language training course to get your French up to something passable. Personally we just think French is a convenient extra language because we have the French immersion school in our neighbourhood, so why not?