Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-11-2018, 09:08 PM   #61
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yes, let’s grab a bonified starting goalie at the game 4 mark. I’m sure lots of teams are anxious to unload this commodity right now.

Cmon guys...
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 2ArmBands For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 09:09 PM   #62
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
That might be too late to salvage the season though. What percentage of teams that are out of the playoffs at American Thanksgiving miss the playoffs again?
At .500? Lol, it really isn't.

Heading into December teams above the playoff line are usually 5 or 6 games over. That can definitely be made up in 4 months if that's the case. I think they'll be on the right side of the fence though.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:12 PM   #63
Dr. Doom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The typical train of thought is that after a shutout you go back to your starter... it doesn't break often.

In this case however, and considering the obvious wear with age and how much rubber he saw from the Preds... I'm really surprised they didn't make the call to Rittich.

I have to give the team benefit of the doubt, but I hope they start to realize (and talk to Smith about the reality of the situation), that it's best for everyone involved to share some time in net when it makes sense.

Instead everyone is questioning the goaltending now. Maybe they just need to better manage the backup situation. At the very least that way you find out if we can get through sharing some time or we need an entirely different starter.

It's so early but they need to figure this out soon.
Dr. Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:13 PM   #64
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Who’s San Jose’s 3rd string goalie? Will they take a 2nd for him?
Flames in SC finals 15 years ago, 15 years before that. Its destiny.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 09:14 PM   #65
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
6. Father Time has caught Mike Smith and it’s not pretty.
This is a little premature. Given how Smith played coming off shutouts last year, and couple that with his terrible record in St Louis, and this looks more like an unsurprising loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:14 PM   #66
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ArmBands View Post
Yes, let’s grab a bonified starting goalie at the game 4 mark. I’m sure lots of teams are anxious to unload this commodity right now.

Cmon guys...
For sure, more of a reflection of the poor decision making prior to the season. I think they can try to acquire an upper level back up so that they don’t lean so heavily on the old man. The decision to start him tonight was ridiculous. He’s always bad following a shut out so I didn’t understand what they were doing other than being afraid of the guy they have behind him
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:14 PM   #67
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

"70 year old goalie"

Jesus...he's 36.

Luongo is 39
Anderson is 37
Lundqvist is 36
Rinne is 35.

Yes, he's not young, but he's not exactly ancient either.

There are 12 other NHL starting goaltenders in their 30s.

He had a mediocre to bad game. It's not the end of his career.

It just means Rittich probably should have been given the start. Smith needs to manage his workload. That's it.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 09:16 PM   #68
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Who’s San Jose’s 3rd string goalie? Will they take a 2nd for him? At this rate, I think I’d rather have Rittich and Gillies battling it out. Smith has looked horriawful for 3/4 games.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:16 PM   #69
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

These Smith complaints are ridiculous lol.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 09:16 PM   #70
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doom View Post
The typical train of thought is that after a shutout you go back to your starter... it doesn't break often.

In this case however, and considering the obvious wear with age and how much rubber he saw from the Preds... I'm really surprised they didn't make the call to Rittich.

I have to give the team benefit of the doubt, but I hope they start to realize (and talk to Smith about the reality of the situation), that it's best for everyone involved to share some time in net when it makes sense.

Instead everyone is questioning the goaltending now. Maybe they just need to better manage the backup situation. At the very least that way you find out if we can get through sharing some time or we need an entirely different starter.

It's so early but they need to figure this out soon.

Best case scenario, Rittich comes in, plays great and creates a 1A/B situation.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:17 PM   #71
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This is a little premature. Given how Smith played coming off shutouts last year, and couple that with his terrible record in St Louis, and this looks more like an unsurprising loss.

Yeah, I’m definitely being a touch dramatic - but I do think Smith has been exceptionally bad since February.

A big thing we need from a starting goalie is consistency - and Smith just hasn’t delivered that for some time.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 09:19 PM   #72
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
"70 year old goalie"

Jesus...he's 36.

Luongo is 39
Anderson is 37
Lundqvist is 36
Rinne is 35.

Yes, he's not young, but he's not exactly ancient either.

There are 12 other NHL starting goaltenders in their 30s.

He had a mediocre to bad game. It's not the end of his career.

It just means Rittich probably should have been given the start. Smith needs to manage his workload. That's it.
It’s uhhh... a joke. Hyperbole meant to induce irony. A uh joke. Also, two of those goalies are on completely uncompetitive teams, 1 on a fringe team and he’s already on IR and the last is a still elite player with a ready to start up and comer behind him. So terrible comparison anyway

Last edited by jonkaupp; 10-11-2018 at 09:27 PM.
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:19 PM   #73
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

One of the most promising things I've seen in regards to this year's team is that in Games 1 and 4 when down significantly the Flames had big pushes back whereas I felt the team folded up shop easily under Gulutzan.

Of course, getting that big push earlier, or not falling into 3+ goal holes is key going forward, the push back is a big improvement.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 09:20 PM   #74
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Honestly, I think everyone is overreacting to the goaltending situation. We had God-mode Smith last game, and although 5 goals looks bad if you look at each one it's not that bad on Smith. 1st goal was deflected off of Stone, 2nd was a 2 on 1 tap in, 3rd Smith reacted to the missed one timer in the slot and the blues got lucky that Edmundson was right there to finish it off. 4th, hate to see it jump over his stick like that, but it happens, sort of a fluke for St. Louis. and the 5th deflected off Czarnik.

I'm not saying we're going to get God-Mode every night from Smith but I think this was just a weird game. It's still early and I think things will settle themselves out for Smith sooner rather than later. I think everyone just needs to relax about Smith a bit, there were a lot of positives that we could be focusing on instead. Like Sam Bennett for example, he's looking good and I'm starting to get excited for him.
BigErnSalute_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:23 PM   #75
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I don't know.........I thought Smith looked pretty great early on. They should have been down a goal or two but Smith held the fort until the Flames went up by a goal. I think Steen's shot dipped or deflected, Rasmus made a poor play, Johhny misses the puck and his man and all of a sudden it's 3-1. Wasn't like Smith let in 3 softies.

I get that it would've been nice for him to make one of those stops, but it was one of those games. Flames were hitting posts, missing penalty shots, missing other high quality chances. Just one of those nights.

If Tre can somehow snag a stud #1 goalie, then great, he should be looking and I hope he does find one. But tonight wasn't a game to pin the loss on the goalie IMO.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 09:24 PM   #76
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Somebody find this little guy for Saturday

Old 10-11-2018, 09:25 PM   #77
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smith wasn’t the best goalie on the ice tonight and that is why they lost. Pretty even game otherwise. Really enjoying the style of play so far this season
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 09:30 PM   #78
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wouldnt it be amazing if one of Rittich or Gillies took the reigns and became a solid starter! I mean that would be better than Bennett rising up and becoming a number one centre. In my opinion the only teams in the Western Conference with a worse starting tender are the Canucks and Blues(whos tender just outplayed Smith tonight).

I hope he proves me wrong and I eat crow. But I just dont see the Flames going far with him. Prove us wrong Smith!

Avalanche - Varlamov
Predators - Rinne
Blackhawks - Crawford
Stars - Bishop
Jets - Hellebuyck
Wild - Dubnyk
Blues - Allen
Ducks - Gibson
Kings - Quick
Sharks - Jones
Canucks - Maarkstrom
Coyotes - Raanta
Golden Knights - Fleury
Oilers - Talbot
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:32 PM   #79
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
I don't know.........I thought Smith looked pretty great early on. They should have been down a goal or two but Smith held the fort until the Flames went up by a goal. I think Steen's shot dipped or deflected, Rasmus made a poor play, Johhny misses the puck and his man and all of a sudden it's 3-1. Wasn't like Smith let in 3 softies.

I get that it would've been nice for him to make one of those stops, but it was one of those games. Flames were hitting posts, missing penalty shots, missing other high quality chances. Just one of those nights.

If Tre can somehow snag a stud #1 goalie, then great, he should be looking and I hope he does find one. But tonight wasn't a game to pin the loss on the goalie IMO.
Yeah, I agree.

Goal 1: Unfortunate as Hanifin looked to brush the puck twice as that slow pass was coming across to Steen, and then Steen appeared the shoot the puck right around Hanifin's leg so Smith didn't get a great look at the shot.

Goal 2: Woof by Andersson.

Goal 3: Pass into the slot goes to Johnny, who fumbles it and lets Edmundson get the shot away.

The giveaway is the only one I blame Smith on. Goal 5 was a high tip with about 4 bodies screening.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 09:35 PM   #80
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
6. Father Time has caught Mike Smith and it’s not pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote