Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2018, 10:24 PM   #241
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
Would be thrilled if he is 4th line centre. Unfortunately looking at how BP used him in carolina im pretty sure this is gonna be the guy we are all angry is getting too much ice time as the year goes on. With the talent on this team Ryan should never see the PP. But i guarantee you Peters will roll him out there more than Chuckie, Bennett, Backlund and lindholm.
He didn’t play more minutes last season than Lindholm.

He will not play more minutes than Tkachuk or Backlund

Up to Bennett to prove your point.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:31 PM   #242
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Would be thrilled if he is 4th line centre. Unfortunately looking at how BP used him in carolina im pretty sure this is gonna be the guy we are all angry is getting too much ice time as the year goes on. With the talent on this team Ryan should never see the PP. But i guarantee you Peters will roll him out there more than Chuckie, Bennett, Backlund and lindholm.
Lindholm averaged more powerplay ice time in Carolina than Ryan so I'm not sure why that would change here? I can see him getting more time than Bennett for sure, but no way he gets more than Tkachuk.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:59 PM   #243
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post

We shall see I suppose. he said in his intro interview he signed here expecting to play middle six and special teams... can't see how he fits into our top 6 forwards or even top 8 forwards if we go 4-1 PP.

I just don't like this signing, reeks of a coach wanting "his guy" and will ensure he gets tons of opportunity.

hopefully its just residual GG usage that have me worried and he won't take opportunity from the young guys...

bennett, janko, czarnik, foo, dube, etc. need to get chances, and while they need to earn them, so should derek ryan... a player the general fanbase of the flames had legitimately heard of up until earlier last season at best.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:02 PM   #244
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post

Taking the % of PP career goals vs overall goals, in order of percentage.

Tkachuk has 13 of his 37 career goals on the PP
Ryan 8 of his 28
Lindholm 18 of 64.
Backlund 24 of 108. If you want to take his last 4 seasons it's 13 ppg goal out of 67, giving him a lower percentage closer to Bennett.
Bennett 8 of 42

Backlund has had a lot more pp time then Bennet these last years.

I know Backlund is in there to win draws to gain possession but you'd hope a guy like Ryan with his decent FO can do that too. So Ryan's numbers, relatively speaking, are technically better then Backlund on a relative basis as far as pp efficiency
Means little given the differening teams and factors, but statically Ryan may well come close to Backlund with pp minutes if he can win draws and produce, as he has somewhat proven already in the past 3 years.

Edit, digging a bit deeper, Lindholm was actually 11th in the league in pp face off percentage. Ryan 39. Backlund? 86th.

So if Backlund is in there for his faceoff ability, he may well be bumped by one of the new guys who have a better faceoff percentage and a higher goal percentage. Nice to have options and this also proves their won't be a "coaches favourite" angle to this either.

https://puckbase.com/stats/faceoff-p...e?situation=pp

Last edited by browna; 07-02-2018 at 11:15 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 01:01 AM   #245
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Taking the % of PP career goals vs overall goals, in order of percentage.

Tkachuk has 13 of his 37 career goals on the PP
Ryan 8 of his 28
Lindholm 18 of 64.
Backlund 24 of 108. If you want to take his last 4 seasons it's 13 ppg goal out of 67, giving him a lower percentage closer to Bennett.
Bennett 8 of 42

Backlund has had a lot more pp time then Bennet these last years.

I know Backlund is in there to win draws to gain possession but you'd hope a guy like Ryan with his decent FO can do that too. So Ryan's numbers, relatively speaking, are technically better then Backlund on a relative basis as far as pp efficiency
Means little given the differening teams and factors, but statically Ryan may well come close to Backlund with pp minutes if he can win draws and produce, as he has somewhat proven already in the past 3 years.

Edit, digging a bit deeper, Lindholm was actually 11th in the league in pp face off percentage. Ryan 39. Backlund? 86th.

So if Backlund is in there for his faceoff ability, he may well be bumped by one of the new guys who have a better faceoff percentage and a higher goal percentage. Nice to have options and this also proves their won't be a "coaches favourite" angle to this either.

https://puckbase.com/stats/faceoff-p...e?situation=pp
Well then...I hope we all enjoy A better season this year
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:12 AM   #246
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
We shall see I suppose. he said in his intro interview he signed here expecting to play middle six and special teams... can't see how he fits into our top 6 forwards or even top 8 forwards if we go 4-1 PP.

I just don't like this signing, reeks of a coach wanting "his guy" and will ensure he gets tons of opportunity.

hopefully its just residual GG usage that have me worried and he won't take opportunity from the young guys...

bennett, janko, czarnik, foo, dube, etc. need to get chances, and while they need to earn them, so should derek ryan... a player the general fanbase of the flames had legitimately heard of up until earlier last season at best.
It has been indicated the Flames tried to get Ryan at the deadline and been looking at him for a while now.

This is not the coach wanting 'his guy'

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2018, 07:46 AM   #247
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Late to the party and this was already re hashed I am guessing over 12 pages I don't have time to read, but anyone want to cliffs notes where they think Ryan falls in the depth chart for us? Position? Line?

With Neal and Lindholm coming in it seems that top 6 is extra crowded, is he a depth center? What about Jankowski and his 17 goal performance?
Old 07-03-2018, 07:52 AM   #248
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Late to the party and this was already re hashed I am guessing over 12 pages I don't have time to read, but anyone want to cliffs notes where they think Ryan falls in the depth chart for us? Position? Line?

With Neal and Lindholm coming in it seems that top 6 is extra crowded, is he a depth center? What about Jankowski and his 17 goal performance?
up and down the lineup, likely third line. Can play multiple forward positions, but is one of the league's best on faceoffs.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:55 AM   #249
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post
It has been indicated the Flames tried to get Ryan at the deadline and been looking at him for a while now.

That just sounds like a very convenient spin being put on it.

Could be fake news!

Honestly, I don't hate derek Ryan, I just am worried he is too old and going to take opportunities away from our young guys and prospects. If he is a 40 point guy next year, contributes and also helps improve the development of some of our young players, I will be the first to admit that I was wrong.

But the second that he is getting moved up the lineup before a guy like bennett or janko I will be frustrated, as I think many others will be too.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:59 AM   #250
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess it depends how they play. If Ryan is playing lights out and moves up the lineup or is on the PP more, that's fine and actually good because it shows that good play will be rewarded. If Bennett plays like trash and gets moved up, I think people will be more upset.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:01 AM   #251
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I guess it depends how they play. If Ryan is playing lights out and moves up the lineup or is on the PP more, that's fine and actually good because it shows that good play will be rewarded. If Bennett plays like trash and gets moved up, I think people will be more upset.
Precisely. This is a team that should be contending for the division, whoever gives the team the best chance to win gets the spot. If Ryan plays better than Bennett, Ryan gets moved up. Simple as that. This isn't a rebuilding roster at this stage, development can't come at the expense of standings points.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:04 AM   #252
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

Could be fake news!

Honestly, I don't hate derek Ryan, I just am worried he is too old and going to take opportunities away from our young guys and prospects. If he is a 40 point guy next year, contributes and also helps improve the development of some of our young players, I will be the first to admit that I was wrong.

But the second that he is getting moved up the lineup before a guy like bennett or janko I will be frustrated, as I think many others will be too.
That's a pretty contrived spin machine to get into an attempted deadline acquisition that was thwarted when Staal had a personal issue with his family.

The league has hopefully learned from Gillis in Vancouver that you shouldn't make stuff up as the other team can just say no, that didn't happen.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:04 AM   #253
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Precisely. This is a team that should be contending for the division, whoever gives the team the best chance to win gets the spot. If Ryan plays better than Bennett, Ryan gets moved up. Simple as that. This isn't a rebuilding roster at this stage, development can't come at the expense of standings points.
Agreed, and Peters certainly has that Scotty Bowman go-with-who's-on mentality.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:10 AM   #254
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not as high on this signing as others are because I am not quite convinced he is anything more than a tweener who is poor on special teams and poor defensively, but if he comes in and produces well, I don't care what line he is on - 1st right down to the 4th. As long as he earns it, I can't see why anyone should have a problem with it. I would rather all players compete for their ice time, and when they have it, play guts to the wall in keeping it. I think Treliving built a team over these last couple of weeks that accomplishes this.

Lots of pressure on the players that are expected to make the team out of camp to position themselves as high as possible in the lineup, and still a decent amount of pressure from underneath with guys like Foo, Hathaway, Quine, Mangiapane and even Shinkaruk and Klimchuk. This is a very deep and very competitive team now.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 10:26 AM   #255
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

Could be fake news!

If Ryan scores +40 points next year, then it is most likely coming at the expense of younger players.

It has been said several times now but clearly bears repeating: Derek Ryan’s usage in Carolina is fairly irrelevant because of the terrible options that Coach Peters had to work with in Carolina. Again, concerns about Ryan’s deployment are premature and exaggerated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:39 AM   #256
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post

And Hamilton wasn't available either. Lip service is a wonderful tool.

saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:42 AM   #257
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Apparently the deal for Ryan fell apart at the deadline because it coincided with Staal and his wife losing their child, so the Canes needed to keep Ryan for the time when Jordan was away from the game.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 10:59 AM   #258
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Something to consider that I find people tend to ignore when making their projected lines is injury. While Ryan may be bumped down to our fourth line when everybody's healthy, you can pretty much bank on the fact that one or another of our top 9 forwards will be injured or otherwise out for a good chunk of games in any given season. When that is the case, Ryan can move up the lineup without taking time away from guys like Jankowski/Bennett.

If we are healthy enough that he sits on the fourth line for most of the year, we are laughing. If not, he's exactly the kind of guy that can fill a hole without dragging a line down.
Superfraggle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:43 AM   #259
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I very much doubt it.

As has been pointed out, Carolina was very thin up front, and guys necessarily had to get pushed up the lineup. But without any kids pushing their way in, there are 10 top 9 forwards on this team:

Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Backlund, Neal, Lindholm, Bennett, Jankowski, Frolik and Ryan

And I will not be at all surprised if Czarnik forces his way into that list.

As a result, there simply won't be any available icetime from which Peters can simply "give him too much". No reason for concern at all, IMO.

Taking this to a more general level, I am growing more positive about Peters' style of running a blender on the lines, based on the way the roster is shaping up. When you're thin on talent, you need to be patient. But when you have lots of it, you can continually play the "who's hot?" or "who's working harder?" cards.

The classic (successful) example of constantly changing the lineups and keeping guys on their toes was Scotty Bowman with the Habs. Guys were constantly in and out of the lineup, and up and down the roster. But he could do that because he had the weapons. If you didn't play hard, he had 3 other guys that were just as deserving of the spot.

I am not suggesting the Flames are the reincarnation of the 1976 Habs, by any stretch of the imagination.

But if you have a very deep team with lots of options, and you have a coach who likes to mix it up and run with the hot hand, that could be a very good combo!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:51 PM   #260
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kybb79 View Post
....im a fire fighter.
lol