Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 10:18 PM   #11601
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Feels like Stone will walk down the hall on Sunday akin to Duchene. Dorien is going for convenience and unloading his guys to each team that comes through town.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 10:19 PM   #11602
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I'd definitely keep Dube. Dube has top 6 upside and Mangiapane is pretty capped as a bottom 6 energy guy
Id keep Dube too. But i wouldnt say Mangiapane has capped yet lol. Played like 20 gsmes and seems to be improving still and getting used to the NHL

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to goflamesgo18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 10:33 PM   #11603
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Got a feeling hayes ends up in Nashville; they like having good centre depth.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:37 AM   #11604
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
If you had to choose, would you rather keep Mangiapane, or Dube (for example in a Stone deal)?

Dube, without question
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2019, 03:11 AM   #11605
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Taking into account what Mangiapane has been able to do in the AHL (two seasons with over a point pg-not alot of young guys can do that) I wouldn't completely rule out his ability to be a top-6 player, it will just be extremely hard to crack on this team. That said, not many people would take him over Dube, he's quite beautiful to watch.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:41 AM   #11606
Freddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Taking into account what Mangiapane has been able to do in the AHL (two seasons with over a point pg-not alot of young guys can do that) I wouldn't completely rule out his ability to be a top-6 player, it will just be extremely hard to crack on this team. That said, not many people would take him over Dube, he's quite beautiful to watch.
I agree about Mangiapane, when our 4th line is Ryan, Hathaway, and Eat Bread they have speed, tenacity, and legit scoring threats on virtually every shift lately.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:05 AM   #11607
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
I agree about Mangiapane, when our 4th line is Ryan, Hathaway, and Eat Bread they have speed, tenacity, and legit scoring threats on virtually every shift lately.
It's going to be hard to take Mangia and/or Czarnik out of the lineup any time soon (ie when Neal comes back) when those two are doing so well. Our 4th line in particular is one of the best in league when taking fancy stats into account.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2019, 05:28 AM   #11608
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

The old "win now" mentality is gradually creaping in with some. IMO we have a great team which could last for a very long period if we play it right. I think both Mangiapane and Dube have top 6 potential. Their young, fast, skillful, have adequate size, and IMO haven't come anywhere near their true potential in the NHL. I believe trading players like them is akin to trading away our future.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flamesfever For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2019, 05:45 AM   #11609
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
The old "win now" mentality is gradually creaping in with some. IMO we have a great team which could last for a very long period if we play it right. I think both Mangiapane and Dube have top 6 potential. Their young, fast, skillful, have adequate size, and IMO haven't come anywhere near their true potential in the NHL. I believe trading players like them is akin to trading away our future.
What if its for a 26 year old, signed Mark Stone?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goflamesgo18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2019, 06:23 AM   #11610
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goflamesgo18 View Post
What if its for a 26 year old, signed Mark Stone?

Maybe if signed to a decent contract, but that's not the case. Also, I don't think it would be wise, considering our cap situation and what it would take to tie him up long term. Besides, I believe we have adequate scoring potential. Our main areas of weakness IMO include goaltending, depth on defense, and perhaps toughness. I would also be concerned with possibly upsetting our chemistry.

Last edited by flamesfever; 02-23-2019 at 06:32 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:07 AM   #11611
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe if signed to a decent contract, but that's not the case. Also, I don't think it would be wise, considering our cap situation and what it would take to tie him up long term. Besides, I believe we have adequate scoring potential. Our main areas of weakness IMO include goaltending, depth on defense, and perhaps toughness. I would also be concerned with possibly upsetting our chemistry.
Fair enough. Im on the "All In" side. Great opportunity right now and next few years to really contend

The Following User Says Thank You to goflamesgo18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2019, 07:22 AM   #11612
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Could we get Kevin Hayes for the 2019 1st and a prospect or two who is/are not on the roster or Dube or Valimaki? He’s young, productive, possession-positive, big and strong, and a centre.

I would prefer getting Hayes and re-signing him over getting Stone and re-signing him at the cost of 2 1sts and multiple prospects plus the need to send out multiple players to make room for his contract.

I see the Flames scouting the Rangers a lot and vice versa and LeBrun, who usually knows about the Flames, said Zuccarello was a guy the Flames are looking at. As I’ve said previously, I’d strongly support his acquisition too, but would hope we could do a 2020 2nd plus two prospects not on the roster or Dube or Valimaki type deal because Zuccarello is older.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:22 AM   #11613
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goflamesgo18 View Post
Fair enough. Im on the "All In" side. Great opportunity right now and next few years to really contend

I feel the same.

If we can get another legit top 6 scoring threat and sign him to a decent contract go ahead.

We have depth everywhere and I like Rittich enough to not worry about the tendy side of things.

I would offer a similar amount that CLB did for Stone forsure. Imagine:

Gaudreau-Monny-Lindholm/Stone
Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm/Stone
Bennett-Janko-Little Z or Neal
Frolik/Eatbread-Ryan-Hathaway/Frolik

Thats crazy deep.

We could although upgrade our 3c, Janko has been pretty lazy in his own zone lately. Not a necessity but would make us even more legit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames1217 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2019, 07:50 AM   #11614
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Pierre LeBrun @PierreVLeBrun
Lots of traction on Marcus Johansson, who will be held out of lineup again for NJ for trade deadline reasons
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2019, 08:03 AM   #11615
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you can get a young player that improves the team for the next few years and all it costs is the 1st rounder and a non-NHL roster player, then I think you take it and try to recover picks at the draft or trust in this team's amazing ability to find talent in later rounds.

There are a few players like this allegedly on the block this year. The window is open now, but that's not to say Flames will have a better chance than they do this year.

Like others, my only pause would be chemistry.

I'll be happy with whatever BT decides to do.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:10 AM   #11616
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
If you can get a young player that improves the team for the next few years and all it costs is the 1st rounder and a non-NHL roster player, then I think you take it and try to recover picks at the draft or trust in this team's amazing ability to find talent in later rounds.

There are a few players like this allegedly on the block this year. The window is open now, but that's not to say Flames will have a better chance than they do this year.

Like others, my only pause would be chemistry.

I'll be happy with whatever BT decides to do.
13 M cap space for Bennett, Tkachuk and 2 goalies.. Whatever the Flames get it will be a rental. ... unless it is a goalie.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:11 AM   #11617
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're not wrong. The cost of Stone isn't just the trade chips. It's also whoever you lose because he will cost a lot to sign. You could lose Brodie/Hamonic and you at least shorten Tkachuk's contract.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:17 AM   #11618
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I'd definitely keep Dube. Dube has top 6 upside and Mangiapane is pretty capped as a bottom 6 energy guy
Ironically I see it the opposite way. At lower levels Mangiapane has been the better pure scorer in the mould of a Cammalleri type, whereas Dube has shown those "Backlund / Ryan" traits of just being an incredible play driver with Dube-ous finishing skill. Although his finish hasn't been bad this year.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 02-23-2019, 08:19 AM   #11619
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
13 M cap space for Bennett, Tkachuk and 2 goalies.. Whatever the Flames get it will be a rental. ... unless it is a goalie.
Frolik is pretty much good as gone at the draft, should help things a bit.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:21 AM   #11620
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dube is a C. Mangiapane is LW. Keep them both and see if they actually gel together (I could see it). I don't see either being more than an add-on in a trade now. They are worth more in the organization than as trade bait.
Closed Thread