Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2019, 03:55 PM   #961
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ In the absence of details, people will speculate and criticize. I think that's healthy. Watching a new league launch is rare, exciting, and strange. Everything is unknown and under the microscope.

I will say that I am getting more excited again as a lot of these tangible things take shape, with more to come. Schedule, kits, more broadcasting details, etc. are all still in the queue as well. It is hard to believe that in less than three months this thing will be kicking off.

Thanks for the update, as always!
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:57 AM   #962
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Season ticket info is available to the public now, and is up on Cavalry's website. And if prices look higher, it's because members received a 10% discount on season tickets.

https://cavalryfc.canpl.ca/season-ticket-info

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:27 AM   #963
CorbeauNoir
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
It is interesting to contrast the sheer excitement that everyone has at these events with the criticisms of the league and the club on the Internet. Not just here, but basically everywhere the league is discussed. Maybe people need to stop analyzing every minute detail about this thing and just try and have some fun in the stands.
I mean, sure? The tiny handful of the population interested in paying to watch USL-level CanCon-mandated soccer on the fringe of the city limits are going to be the ones most interested in physically attending secondary events related to it. I'm not sure what the grand revelation is supposed to be there?

It's probably more accurate to say that the vast majority of the city doesn't care about the league one way or the other.
CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorbeauNoir For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2019, 01:05 PM   #964
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Apparently the full schedule comes out tomorrow. Time to get excited! Now we just need the broadcast deal and kit reveals. And a few more players.
Arsenal14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arsenal14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2019, 01:57 AM   #965
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal14 View Post
Apparently the full schedule comes out tomorrow. Time to get excited! Now we just need the broadcast deal and kit reveals. And a few more players.
I never really get excited about planning a trip back to Cowtown but I will definitely be looking for cheap flights once the schedule is released. #UpTheCavs
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Addick For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2019, 10:14 AM   #966
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well here it is - the full schedule: https://cavalryfc.canpl.ca/schedule

Old 02-27-2019, 10:16 AM   #967
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Spoiler!

New rendering out.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RM14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2019, 10:20 AM   #968
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most interesting tidbit is that there are two separate seasons, with the winner of each playing in a championship final at the very end. Interesting idea. I'm not sure if I like it yet, but I kind of think that I do. With the absence of playoffs, which North Americans are used to, this kind of gives an extra little importance to the early fixtures, and also ensures that teams aren't hopelessly adrift after the first 1/3 of their matches.

More on the league format:

https://canpl.ca/article/faq-a-prime...d-season-rules
Old 02-27-2019, 10:44 AM   #969
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that overall it looks like a decent enough schedule. Hopefully they announce a broadcasting schedule of some sort so that we can see how things go in some of these away stretches.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:03 AM   #970
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

So a 10 game first half and an 18 game second half?

Is there a reason why nearly everything they do is ridiculous in some way?

That said, the rendering of the pitch is quite nice.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2019, 11:03 AM   #971
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Awesome, getting excited! Not too many mid-week games which is great.

I'm a assuming June is a big show jumping month for Spruce Meadows?
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:05 AM   #972
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Flame View Post
Awesome, getting excited! Not too many mid-week games which is great.

I'm a assuming June is a big show jumping month for Spruce Meadows?
Yes. Major events in four of the five weeks from the start of June through Canada Day weekend.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:33 PM   #973
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post

Yeah, that seems absurd to me. Is having the two halves be dramatically unequal some sort of soccer tradition I'm ignorant of? Otherwise, why not do a 24 game season in two 12 game halves. A home and away against each team in each portion of the season. Just jettison the weeknight evening games in May and October...
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 03:50 PM   #974
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Can anyone shed light on why Moses Danto hasn't signed with a CPL team yet? I thought for sure he'd be picked up by either Cavalry or his hometown Valour FC in Winnipeg.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:31 PM   #975
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditty View Post
Can anyone shed light on why Moses Danto hasn't signed with a CPL team yet? I thought for sure he'd be picked up by either Cavalry or his hometown Valour FC in Winnipeg.

Word is he'll be signing with Winnipeg, despite Calgary trying to sign him. No idea why it's taking so long.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2019, 06:24 PM   #976
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Word is he'll be signing with Winnipeg, despite Calgary trying to sign him. No idea why it's taking so long.
Yeah, Ali Musse just signed with Winnipeg the other day so I guess that makes sense.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:29 AM   #977
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

So what incentive does the team that wins the first half have in the 2nd half? Seems ridiculous.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:26 PM   #978
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Welp, I fulfilled my deposit and with another pal & bought season tickets in section 107. Looking forward to it.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:17 PM   #979
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post

My guess is maybe the weather related, leaving more time if games have to be rescheduled? And then scheduling around other things for other teams? Voyagers Cup in there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
So what incentive does the team that wins the first half have in the 2nd half? Seems ridiculous.
The PCL where the Cannons played, did this. There it was because it being the major farm teams, if your PCL team is a very good team and then in late July or August you get half your team gets called up to the majors after the trade deadline by the crappy major league team, while the farm team of other teams is left intact, and blow your chance, it's not that fair to anyone, or fans, of the farm team whose success for 3/4 of a season goes for naught because all your good players have been pillaged.

Here, not sure. May just be an opening year thing; as teams try to get up off the ground from zero, so some teams take longer then others and they don't want a team that struggling to be done by June. It gives those teams, players, and fans, a clean slate for the second half, and the added confidence and positivity of turning it around.

Also, with things like signings, it may take some teams until later in the season to get fully on track. Plus, come July, European leagues are fully done, so while it may be tough to get interested players to come over in April or May, with the chance to get some decent bottom division players, which still takes time, means some teams could be more complete in the second half then the first, and should be necessarily be punished for a first half of the year struggle as they are forced to wait for signings to become official.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2019, 06:34 PM   #980
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post

If they coast in the 2nd half they'll get spanked in the championship game against an in-form team.

You cant turn the intensity off for half a season and expect to win the big game in the end.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post: