Don't eat the yellow ice...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:58 PM   #42
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
So these terrifying things showed up today. Does this likely mean there's an airflow issue or possibly something more diabolical? I'll also echo the request for recommendations of companies people have used & had good service with in correcting stuff like this?

Spoiler!

Looks like this is happening at an intersection between two roofs - could be an ice damming issue. Is this happening anywhere else at your soffits - ie - in straight runs in the soffit? Or just at this corner?
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:21 PM   #43
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Pad View Post
Looks like this is happening at an intersection between two roofs - could be an ice damming issue. Is this happening anywhere else at your soffits - ie - in straight runs in the soffit? Or just at this corner?
Just in this corner. It is an intersection, and the roof slopes down at that seam.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:49 PM   #44
BigBCalgary
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGame View Post
Do you know if these guys are able to find and fix issues with gaps in the membrane between top floor ceiling and attic? Have they worked on your home or do you just know them/know of them?

I had severe attic rain issues my first winter in the house and the builder put in more venting on warranty, but we still have minor attic rain every year and it's just enough to drive me crazy. Tonight the one drip we have is coming off a pot light every five seconds square into the middle of my 2-year-old's bed. Having taken a run at the venting issue I'm inclined to think the next step is to tackle membrane gaps, especially as our top floor is riddled with pot lights. I would go up into the attic myself but I'm really worried about accidentally stepping through sheet rock.
Best thing to do is call and ask, they have a thermal camera and other assorted gear. They would be more knowledgable than I for answering your questions.
BigBCalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:31 PM   #45
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Just in this corner. It is an intersection, and the roof slopes down at that seam.

Normally, there should be some underlayment at the valley between the two roof slopes. I have seen installations where it wasn't used. They may have not installed underlayment (or better yet - self adhered ice and water sheild), at the valley.

Anyway, for now, just get up on the roof and remove the snow from the valley. If there is a build up of ice under the snow covered area at the valley, there is a good possibility that it is an ice damming issue. After you have cleared the snow off of it, use some de-icer on it and melt the ice.
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shin Pad For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2019, 06:41 PM   #46
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Will do, thanks!
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:44 AM   #47
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Global had a story on this yesterday. This is probably what is happening.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5002574/attic-rain-calgary/
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote