Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2021, 09:04 AM   #21
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
The Flames are back in the saddle(dome), and so are the fans!

There was good effort on Saturday night, can it carry over into tonight's bash with the Ducks? We know one guy who's bringing the energy, and he'll burn whoever gets in his way. As some unfortunate sap is about to find out:

Spoiler!

Bring the conversation, stats, and everything - cuz it's game on!

Go Flames
These videos are going to make my day every game day...

Spoiler!
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 09:07 AM   #22
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmile04 View Post
Turning 36 today.. so 6-3 Flames!
You're so young!

I'm ahead by a decade... I like your score better, but I'll take either one. A 6 goal performance will be nice.

Incidentally I checked the stats. It's not a day they play a lot of games on but, the Calgary Flames are 5-9 on October 18. Yikes! But 4-1 since 2000.

Last edited by Buff; 10-18-2021 at 09:25 AM.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 09:23 AM   #23
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

my mom's birthday... 8-5 Flames!!!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 09:31 AM   #24
BigRed
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Look forward to seeing what Coleman brings. He's a sorely missed dimension in the top 6 and will be very noticeable.

Not looking forward to #58 being scratched.
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:00 AM   #25
Brad Marsh
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
Look forward to seeing what Coleman brings. He's a sorely missed dimension in the top 6 and will be very noticeable.

Not looking forward to #58 being scratched.
Yeah, I was kind of surprised at how limited his ice time was in the Edmonton game. In his 3 minutes and change, he had a nice rush skating the puck out of the defensive zone and got it out and deep, another play where he made a great pass from the half-wall into the slot for what may have been/could have been a good scoring chance, and then had a couple of great plays breaking up the cycle deep in their own zone. He seemed to be skating well and making a positive impact, but then ended up sitting most of the rest of the game.

I wonder if some of skating and puck possession was counter to the game plan and systems/structure that Sutter was looking for? It looked effective, but maybe wasn't what the coaching staff was looking for from him?

Not sure.

But regardless, he did look like the odd man out the other night. Which was somewhat odd because none of the defense other than Gudbranson looked all that great. I know Sutter's comments yesterday suggested that Anderson was their best defenseman but I thought that was Gudbranson. Kylington has clearly taken steps, and that's been acknowledged by Sutter, but he doesn't appear to have fully earned the coach's trust yet.

And that's too bad because he has a skill set no one else in the top 6 has, and one this team could really use. We saw flashes of that in Edmonton.
Hopefully he can do what he needs to do to earn that trust and playing time. I suspect it's a matter of utilizing his skill set within the set system the team is implementing.
Brad Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:07 AM   #26
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Please win.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:08 AM   #27
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Two words: High. Risk.

Yeah, he has skills to add on offense, but he actually has to produce something when he makes those plays because if it doesn't, those high risk plays where guys end up out of position lead to odd-man rushes the other way and high danger chances.

When you're offensively challenged the way the Flames are, you need to limit those chances as much as possible. If the risk from Kylington doesn't lead to any positive impact on the scoresheet, you can't play him ahead of guys that won't necessarily add anything on offense either, but will definitely help keep the puck out of the net.

From my viewing of his limited ice time, he took chances, but when he was checked he struggled to make anything happen, and if he had turned it over at that point, it would have been a good chance for the Oilers the other way.

It's a balancing act with a player like him. Now the one thing you can say for sure is that if he doesn't play regular minutes, he'll never develop enough experience or confidence to make a risky play in the right situation while limiting the defensive downside. My hope is that he gets in on a semi-regular basis to develop that, but when Valimaki and Gudbranson played as well as they did last game, there's not much opportunity for him to play.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 10:09 AM   #28
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Marsh View Post
Yeah, I was kind of surprised at how limited his ice time was in the Edmonton game. In his 3 minutes and change, he had a nice rush skating the puck out of the defensive zone and got it out and deep, another play where he made a great pass from the half-wall into the slot for what may have been/could have been a good scoring chance, and then had a couple of great plays breaking up the cycle deep in their own zone. He seemed to be skating well and making a positive impact, but then ended up sitting most of the rest of the game.

I wonder if some of skating and puck possession was counter to the game plan and systems/structure that Sutter was looking for? It looked effective, but maybe wasn't what the coaching staff was looking for from him?

Not sure.

But regardless, he did look like the odd man out the other night. Which was somewhat odd because none of the defense other than Gudbranson looked all that great. I know Sutter's comments yesterday suggested that Anderson was their best defenseman but I thought that was Gudbranson. Kylington has clearly taken steps, and that's been acknowledged by Sutter, but he doesn't appear to have fully earned the coach's trust yet.

And that's too bad because he has a skill set no one else in the top 6 has, and one this team could really use. We saw flashes of that in Edmonton.
Hopefully he can do what he needs to do to earn that trust and playing time. I suspect it's a matter of utilizing his skill set within the set system the team is implementing.
Not saying I agree with it, but I think they're trying to reign in his chance taking to make him more reliable shift to shift.

He jumped up and I think went off side, causing the rush to stop, and then the puck was turned over. (my recollection)

Kylington got back, but I think that was the reason he got stapled to the bench.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 10:13 AM   #29
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames want to be a playoff team they oughta make hay in California. No game in October is a 'must win' but damn if this isn't a game they need to win.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:17 AM   #30
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am hoping to see big games from Markstrom and Gaudreau today to get rolling for the season.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 10:22 AM   #31
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Richarson and Pitlick are back to practicing with the team.
https://twitter.com/Fan960Steinberg/...182245892?s=20
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 10:27 AM   #32
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

We need points early. Please get these points fellas . Do it now before the panic begins with 10 games left.

60 minutes of effort is all I want....oh and the 2 pts.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 10:29 AM   #33
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1450136772596273153
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 10:30 AM   #34
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

My prediction, 4-0 Flames
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:33 AM   #35
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Kylington should be in....
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:33 AM   #36
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
the $17M third line lol

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:38 AM   #37
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

3rd line grinder life sure has changed!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:39 AM   #38
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coaches must like what the Monahan line was doing in game 1 to stick Coleman with Backs and Looch.

I'd love to see Coleman on Monahans wing.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:39 AM   #39
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Thats some lazy projecting from Pat, lol

(Coleman will not start on the 3L)

Edit - If these were the rushes then color me surprised. Just looked like Pat typed Coleman in front of Ritchie and hit enter

Last edited by Toonage; 10-18-2021 at 10:43 AM.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:40 AM   #40
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Don't mind easing Coleman in at all.

But Kylington should 120% be playing. What does this team have against a mobile defenseman whos been a top 2 or 3 performer since the start of camp? He's head and shoulders faster than the rest of the group and we need that back there.

Entirely predictable however. Force the square peg until you start bleeding losses and have to look for answers elsewhere.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post: