Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-18-2021, 10:13 AM   #41
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Nova Scotia is a poor representation of ‘Canada’ in this regard. It was undoubtedly the most segregated, and while it’s technically true that ‘Canada’ still has a segregated school up to 1983, it’s worth noting that only one other province had segregated school - Ontario, and that stopped in 1965.

It doesn’t make any of that okay, but one school is not plural and in a place with 3% of the population isn’t a good representation of what was actually happening across Canada.

How is that any different than saying "Alabama" is not representative of all of America.

Nova Scotia is also where the largest proportion of black people in Canada lived, and we segregated them. If you want to get more representative of Canada, as you say, Ontario closed its last segregated school in 1965. Not all that much better than Nova Scotia and 11 years after the USA closed theirs.

So for Canadians to act high and mighty about racial issues in Canada is pretty obtuse. The only difference IMO is that Canada didn't have a large post-slavery population. And if we had, I don't think we would have done such a great job, as evidenced by how we've treated the indigenous population.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 10:17 AM   #42
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada delt with race issues by trying their best to not allow people of colour to enter the country. It wasn't until 1962 that Canada eliminated overt racial discrimination from Canadian immigration policy
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:28 AM   #43
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Canada delt with race issues by trying their best to not allow people of colour to enter the country. It wasn't until 1962 that Canada eliminated overt racial discrimination from Canadian immigration policy
Both Canada and the USA took a British model towards racism, which was largely based on separation. The difference is that the USA already had a large visible minority population due to slavery. Canada didn't employ slavery on a large scale, not for moral reasons, but for the reason that our climate didn't support crops conducive to slave labour.

The USA freed their slaves but segregated them into decaying ghetto neighbourhoods. Canada took a similar approach to its indigenous population via its reservation system. Canada always made sure to send regular messages to the indigenous population about their place, whether it was via residential schools, executing Louis Riel, the White Papers, via incarceration, etc..
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 06:10 PM   #44
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Terrible situation in the states right now. Would love to hear the bootlickers take on this one after the video was released of this guy being brutalized by the police. Glad they’re charged. What a disgrace. Watch the videos at your own discretion as they are terrible.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/video-...rest-1.6728407
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 06:18 PM   #45
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I highly suggest not watching the video.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 06:19 PM   #46
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
Terrible situation in the states right now. Would love to hear the bootlickers take on this one after the video was released of this guy being brutalized by the police. Glad they’re charged. What a disgrace. Watch the videos at your own discretion as they are terrible.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/video-...rest-1.6728407
Definitely a pretty brutal situation and it is really troublesome that no aid was provided for such a long time even though EMS was on scene. If I watched and kept track of the police properly there is one cop in particular that is going to be in a lot of trouble because he inflicted most of the damage (4 or so kicks on the ground and 5 or 6 severe punches to the head while Tyre was being held by the other two cops.)
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 06:34 PM   #47
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Onion becoming more and more accurate is bad things.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 06:58 PM   #48
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I highly suggest not watching the video.
Yep. I started watching and stopped. Infuriating, sickening, heartbreaking and shocking. It was too much.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 07:14 PM   #49
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

tough to watch.

zero justification from the video that I could tell...absolutely disgusting behavior.

I hope all of these guys are incarcerated for the maximum term and placed in general population.

I mean, how stupid can you be? You all have body cams, surveillance cameras are everywhere nowadays...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 07:18 PM   #50
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
tough to watch.

zero justification from the video that I could tell...absolutely disgusting behavior.

I hope all of these guys are incarcerated for the maximum term and placed in general population.

I mean, how stupid can you be? You all have body cams, surveillance cameras are everywhere nowadays...
What I find wild is how many of these incidents happen at routine traffic stops.

How lethal are these traffic violations?

"License, Registration and....OMIGOD HE'S COMIN' RIGHT FER US!!!!!!"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 07:42 PM   #51
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
tough to watch.

It's so brazen that it makes one wonder how often they actually get away with it. I bet this wasn't the first time they terrorized someone.
Old 01-27-2023, 08:30 PM   #52
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not sure what video was linked above, but apparently there’s one from a fallen body camera where he can be hard calling out for his mom. I haven’t watched or sought it out, but in the thread on Reddit they were talking about it. Gut wrenching.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 09:16 PM   #53
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

This incident is really hard to wrap your head around. How do five men lose thier minds like this and nobody steps up to stop this.

Hopefully these fellas find themselves in jail for a long time and hopefully they have a very unenjoyable time there
Old 01-27-2023, 09:43 PM   #54
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
This incident is really hard to wrap your head around. How do five men lose thier minds like this and nobody steps up to stop this.

Hopefully these fellas find themselves in jail for a long time and hopefully they have a very unenjoyable time there
The US police are an army of occupation at this point, mostly ex military they are trained to see every interaction with citizens as a life or death struggle they have to dominate and win, that means instilling fear into the enemy, and the citizens are the enemy now
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 10:37 PM   #55
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
You know what makes them look really dumb? I was curious what kind of nice camera has that view and can pan.... google maps show it's a POLICE SURVEILLANCE CAMERA. I went back to watch the video and even it's light on the box was flashing.....

Old 01-28-2023, 06:51 AM   #56
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
You know what makes them look really dumb? I was curious what kind of nice camera has that view and can pan.... google maps show it's a POLICE SURVEILLANCE CAMERA. I went back to watch the video and even it's light on the box was flashing.....

To me, this doesn't say these guys are dumb.

It tells me they don't think it matters, because they can do literally anything without repercussions.

Everything about this incident points to this being 100% routine behavior for these cops.

The only reason they didn't totally get away with it was probably because the victim died, and I would bet money that they've already killed people before for no real reason without punishment.

Last edited by Itse; 01-28-2023 at 06:53 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2023, 10:10 AM   #57
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
The US police are an army of occupation at this point, mostly ex military they are trained to see every interaction with citizens as a life or death struggle they have to dominate and win, that means instilling fear into the enemy, and the citizens are the enemy now
It's the thin blue line. On one side, the "citizens" they're supposed to protect and on the other side, the baddies who need to be taught a lesson. And this line is *very* thin. You can't see it. Only the cops can judge if you've crossed it. But if you do, watch out! You're no longer a citizen... you're a bad guy.

That's what the patch says to me, at least. "You're either with us or against us. An enemy or a friend. So you'd better respect us."
Cube Inmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:29 AM   #58
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
What I find wild is how many of these incidents happen at routine traffic stops.

How lethal are these traffic violations?

"License, Registration and....OMIGOD HE'S COMIN' RIGHT FER US!!!!!!"
That's the big question. In routine stops, presumably, the police have run the plates so they have a good idea who the driver is... in the Nichols case, they had his car. They would have know where he lived and worked. He wasn't a wanted felon from the reports I've seen; just a guy driving to his mom's house on his lunch break.

There was zero reason for escalation, even when he ran away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
It's so brazen that it makes one wonder how often they actually get away with it. I bet this wasn't the first time they terrorized someone.
This was a 'special' division in Memphis meant to be proactively stopping crime, so they were predisposed to treating everyone as a criminal imo. It's likely that they probably did get away with some incidents of police brutality, but because the victim didn't get put in the hospital no one cared.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 11:33 AM   #59
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube Inmate View Post
It's the thin blue line. On one side, the "citizens" they're supposed to protect and on the other side, the baddies who need to be taught a lesson. And this line is *very* thin. You can't see it. Only the cops can judge if you've crossed it. But if you do, watch out! You're no longer a citizen... you're a bad guy.

That's what the patch says to me, at least. "You're either with us or against us. An enemy or a friend. So you'd better respect us."
What an embarrassment that a small minority of Calgary Police Officers continued to wear that patch after the complaints, until they were forced to remove them.

Last edited by jayswin; 01-28-2023 at 12:38 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 11:48 AM   #60
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
To me, this doesn't say these guys are dumb.

It tells me they don't think it matters, because they can do literally anything without repercussions.

Everything about this incident points to this being 100% routine behavior for these cops.

The only reason they didn't totally get away with it was probably because the victim died, and I would bet money that they've already killed people before for no real reason without punishment.
Yeah. Sadly, I think this is accurate. They dont care because they've probably done this a lot without even getting so much as a slap on the hands much less a "You're off the Force McGarnagle."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
What an embarrassment that a small minority of Calgary Police Officers continued to wear that patch after the complains, until they were forced to remove them.
Well...thats Calgary, I recall there being a giant ruckus caused in the US when the Police Department issued an order requiring Police Stations to remove 'Think Blue Line' stickers that were on their front doors.

Whats worse? The fact that the Police resisted removing them from the entrance to a Police Station or the fact that they were even there in the first place?