Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2021, 10:50 PM   #1
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Friedman: Gaudreau not expected to comment on contract status

From 32 Thoughts:

Quote:
9. Word is that Johnny Gaudreau will say at his first media availability that he will not answer questions about his contract status now that training camp has started. GM Brad Treliving told Sportsnet’s Eric Francis this week the team won’t be providing updates, either. Gaudreau is an unrestricted free agent in July. No distractions.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2021, 10:53 PM   #2
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always love the "no distractions" direction. You can say it, but it's a pretty big distraction regardless.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2021, 11:04 PM   #3
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Francis will be insufferable, annoyingly making this some sort of self-important mission, taking drive bys at the Flames or Gaudreau weekly during the season in trying to get some sort of response from either side, and consider himself a media "hero" by carrying the responsibility and challenge of trying to get to the bottom of the issue for his own ego stroking.

Also, well aware that this particular point from Friedman could've well been basically made up by Francis as part of that mission, and is fiction.

Last edited by browna; 09-21-2021 at 11:08 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:04 PM   #4
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not really surprising. I just hope they can get something done, whether that's a new contract or a trade. Just don't let him walk for nothing.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2021, 11:39 PM   #5
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I always love the "no distractions" direction. You can say it, but it's a pretty big distraction regardless.
Is it though? I’m not sure if this is true to be honest.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:43 PM   #6
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good. We don’t need either side saying anything that will lower his trade value. If any comments insinuated that a contract extension was unlikely, it would give the team no leverage.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:44 PM   #7
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Contract could be done already and will announce during the season. Or not.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:47 PM   #8
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
It's the standard "I'm going to free agency" comment. It was so important to get a contract in place in place before this season or a trade. We didn't manage either, which is kind of how I thought it would go.

I guess if a team on his 5 team trade list agrees then we can still salvage something at the deadline.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2021, 11:57 PM   #9
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

To be fair if I was Gaudreau I’d be pretty damn tempted to go to free agency too. It’s not without huge risk though… career ending injury or not putting up the same numbers he could be playing with fire here pun intended.

Still it’s likely to the tune of like $2-3MM a year over a sizeable term to settle now or go to free agency unrestricted.

Pure guess but I bet the Flames are offering about 7-7.5/yr and he thinks he could get 9-10/yr in free agency. If he is a point per game player, I could see 9 for sure.
Old 09-22-2021, 12:01 AM   #10
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Good. We don’t need either side saying anything that will lower his trade value. If any comments insinuated that a contract extension was unlikely, it would give the team no leverage.

If Calgary tries to trade him, it’s pretty much assumed they can’t/ won’t sign him. That cat is already out of the bag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:03 AM   #11
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

One thing is for sure, if Treliving doesn’t handle this one right he will for sure be fired. This could be an epic #### up for the Flames. Like possibly worst in franchise history and that’s saying something. They’ve already started to go down a terrifying path by letting this slide to Gaudreau leverage land but not sure what they could have done to prevent that to be honest.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2021, 01:16 AM   #12
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
To be fair if I was Gaudreau I’d be pretty damn tempted to go to free agency too. It’s not without huge risk though… career ending injury or not putting up the same numbers he could be playing with fire here pun intended.

Still it’s likely to the tune of like $2-3MM a year over a sizeable term to settle now or go to free agency unrestricted.

Pure guess but I bet the Flames are offering about 7-7.5/yr and he thinks he could get 9-10/yr in free agency. If he is a point per game player, I could see 9 for sure.
Doubt Treliving would insult him that bad, my guess is the offer is about 8.5 and if I was in Johnny's camp would insist on Brayden Point money/term.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:31 AM   #13
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

a player with half a year of NHL experience and 2 more points than Gaudreau in said half season just got 9M

he is not taking 7M
Old 09-22-2021, 01:33 AM   #14
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This can only mean things are going well.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:46 AM   #15
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Doubt Treliving would insult him that bad, my guess is the offer is about 8.5 and if I was in Johnny's camp would insist on Brayden Point money/term.
If Johnny Gaudreau thinks he is in same stratosphere as Brayden Point he is in for a rude awakening.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:49 AM   #16
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
If Johnny Gaudreau thinks he is in same stratosphere as Brayden Point he is in for a rude awakening.
Stats say otherwise and I suspect if Johnny played for a juggernaut like Tampa he would even be more respected as a superstar.

I shake my head at people who can't see the pure talent we have here in him, he does things with the puck that only a handful of players can do and controls the offensive play 90% of the time he's on the ice. No disrespect to Lindholm or Tkachuk ... but he is the flames offense

This team is Arizona north without him.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 03:51 AM   #17
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
Gaudreau has better offensive numbers playing with a worse team so I don't think it would be all that hard to argue he is at least in the ballpark

Point has had more success obviously but Point also wasn't on a line with Ritchie or Simon

Gaudreau has 494 points in 520 games for his career, its crazy how little some Flames fans think of him

Last edited by dino7c; 09-22-2021 at 03:53 AM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2021, 05:12 AM   #18
Flames_F.T.W
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Treliving must have this whole situation mapped out and things will all make sense some day, right? Otherwise risking and potentially losing Johnny for nothing will be a spectacular failure and will probably spell the end of Tre as a GM in this league.

Maybe ownership won't let him trade Johnny for futures and have told Brad to win now, even at the risk of losing Johnny?

I don't know how else to explain why they would allow this kind of distraction going into a "must win" season.
Flames_F.T.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 05:35 AM   #19
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Gaudreau has better offensive numbers playing with a worse team so I don't think it would be all that hard to argue he is at least in the ballpark

Point has had more success obviously but Point also wasn't on a line with Ritchie or Simon

Gaudreau has 494 points in 520 games for his career, its crazy how little some Flames fans think of him
Points aren't the only thing that matters. Do I really need to explain that? 32 teams would rather have the 2 way stud defensive center.

Nobody saying Gaudreau isn't a great player but he isn't on Brayden Points level. Not even close.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Knightslayer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2021, 06:04 AM   #20
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everything will work out. Sutter will get this team buying in and winning while creating a culture. Everyone will want to be a part of it.

Positive thoughts, keep on thinking positive thoughts.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post: