Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-18-2021, 12:01 PM   #181
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
So just drop the puck at 7pm local time? Winnipeg, Chicago and others seem to make that work just fine? Like those kinds of issues are the easiest to deal with to me. The NHL can worry about whether they have late games to play a double-header every week.
Why do you think we play at 8pm local time instead of 7pm as is?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 12:02 PM   #182
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand the people against daylight savings. I'm not going to put them on the same level as flat earth or anti-vaccers but it's still kind of a weird to see people get so invested in something like this.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 12:04 PM   #183
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Clocks were a mistake.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 12:10 PM   #184
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't understand the people against daylight savings. I'm not going to put them on the same level as flat earth or anti-vaccers but it's still kind of a weird to see people get so invested in something like this.
Speaking of weird, there’s so much about this post that’s weird. Being pro or anti DST has nothing in common with flat earthers or anti vaxxers. At all. Those are both for total nut jobs and have tons of scientific basis for being whack job theories.

DST, while having certain benefits and drawbacks, is hardly an open and shut case with only one scientifically supported answer. There are concerns about sleep patterns if we went to full DST but it’s not like there’s a whole group of nutcases who think DST is a government conspiracy.

Also, since you’re so shocked, newsflash people have a vested interest in things that will adversely affect their lives.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 12:16 PM   #185
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hop on the bus at 7am in the dark right now.

If the DST vote is rejected I get to enjoy maybe 1 more week in November where I can get out the door and the sky has a sliver of sunlight in it.

And for that I get to ensure I leave work at 4pm in the dusk/dark no matter what. Plus my SO gets to walk home alone in the dark after her workday. No thank you.

I actually don't care either way but given the choice I'm going with Yes.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craigwd For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 12:17 PM   #186
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's almost like this compromise system with time changes is the best of mediocre options. The only change I'd really like is to have it extend longer in the spring. It juuuuust starts getting light in the morning in March, than blamo, back in the dark.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 12:34 PM   #187
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
I hop on the bus at 7am in the dark right now.

If the DST vote is rejected I get to enjoy maybe 1 more week in November where I can get out the door and the sky has a sliver of sunlight in it.

And for that I get to ensure I leave work at 4pm in the dusk/dark no matter what. Plus my SO gets to walk home alone in the dark after her workday. No thank you.

I actually don't care either way but given the choice I'm going with Yes.

And I hop in my car at 8:00am, and enjoy the fact that I see some sun on my morning commute. Same with my kids going to school. It wakes me up and makes me much more alive and not depressed.

See, this argument goes both ways.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 12:43 PM   #188
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
So just drop the puck at 7pm local time? Winnipeg, Chicago and others seem to make that work just fine? Like those kinds of issues are the easiest to deal with to me. The NHL can worry about whether they have late games to play a double-header every week.
That would exclude the Flames and Oilers from a national audience on HNIC, the biggest sporting program in the country. Not ideal.

The rest of the country isn't going to change the schedule for us, so we either drop the puck at 9pm, or we lose the national audience on the doubleheaders.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 01:08 PM   #189
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Speaking of weird, there’s so much about this post that’s weird. Being pro or anti DST has nothing in common with flat earthers or anti vaxxers. At all. Those are both for total nut jobs and have tons of scientific basis for being whack job theories.

DST, while having certain benefits and drawbacks, is hardly an open and shut case with only one scientifically supported answer. There are concerns about sleep patterns if we went to full DST but it’s not like there’s a whole group of nutcases who think DST is a government conspiracy.

Also, since you’re so shocked, newsflash people have a vested interest in things that will adversely affect their lives.
Oh please. The big argument is the sleep pattern issue when switching but the reality it's no different than going back to work after taking a week or more vacation. Should vacations be banned as well? That's just a lame argument and I don't buy it and yes I have read about the pros and cons and the pros outweight the cons. I think you anti-daylight savings people are weird. Deal with it.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 10-18-2021 at 01:11 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 01:09 PM   #190
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
And I hop in my car at 8:00am, and enjoy the fact that I see some sun on my morning commute. Same with my kids going to school. It wakes me up and makes me much more alive and not depressed.

See, this argument goes both ways.

That's a fair argument too!
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 01:27 PM   #191
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
That would exclude the Flames and Oilers from a national audience on HNIC, the biggest sporting program in the country. Not ideal.

The rest of the country isn't going to change the schedule for us, so we either drop the puck at 9pm, or we lose the national audience on the doubleheaders.
So someone in Ontario can’t watch the Flames or Oilers after the Leafs game… shucks…

Hockey start times shouldn’t carry so much weight in this decision.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to badradio For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 01:40 PM   #192
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
So someone in Ontario can’t watch the Flames or Oilers after the Leafs game… shucks…

Hockey start times shouldn’t carry so much weight in this decision.
Don't get me wrong, hockey times aren't a big deal for me. I usually record, avoid the score, and watch on a time delay anyway. 9:30-11:30 is my prime time hockey watching, even if the puck dropped at 7.

It is just one example of what being out of sync with most other jurisdictions in North America will look like. Sure, we won't change our clocks twice a year and think we've saved ourselves from undue hardship, but everyone else still will, and there are implications on health, business, travel, and to a lesser degree, sports.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 02:05 PM   #193
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Oh please. The big argument is the sleep pattern issue when switching but the reality it's no different than going back to work after taking a week or more vacation. Should vacations be banned as well? That's just a lame argument and I don't buy it and yes I have read about the pros and cons and the pros outweight the cons. I think you anti-daylight savings people are weird. Deal with it.

Tell me about it.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 03:32 PM   #194
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess it was on me for not looking it up in detail before voting, but I read that question like 3-4 times when I saw it.

"Do you want Alberta to adopt year-round Daylight Saving Time, which is summer hours, eliminating the need to change our clocks twice a year?"

What normal human being poses a question like this?
I figured it out in the end, but that middle bit sure made it a bit of a head scratcher at first.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 01:59 PM   #195
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It truly was a monumentally stupid decision for the UCP to make this a binding referendum. Politicians can barely function in their jobs, let alone leaving complex decisions like this one to the mouth breathers who inhabit our province.

You’re absolutely right that most people that vote yes will do so completely not understanding the effects and only think of those two benefits you listed.

This has Brexit written all over it. Not in terms of scope obviously but in terms of support and subsequent regret. We are going to need our very own r/LeopardsAteMyFace thread when people start flipping out over the multitude of massive negative results this will cause.

Thankfully this isn’t going to happen for at least a year so maybe by then the government can find a way to reverse course.
Will it be much different than the subtle but significant issues that come in the week(s) following each time change? Like increased car accidents and heart attacks ...

It would be pretty dumb if UCP pulled the trigger on this immediately instead of passing a "we're ready to change when most others are, too" bill (as has happened in many jurisdictions. But even if they did...it would just be like living in Saskatchewan or Arizona...

Quote:
Why do you think we play at 8pm local time instead of 7pm as is?
Largely a holdover from pre-cable/internet days. The league/teams/networks could easily adapt. Maybe the official HNIC broadcast cuts some non-eventful action from the 1st period and catches up to live in the 2nd. Just make the local CBC cut to the new game.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the eastern audience isn't the biggest concern here...it was about not pissing off westerners by missing the start of their games. It doesn't need to be an issue any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I guess it was on me for not looking it up in detail before voting, but I read that question like 3-4 times when I saw it.

"Do you want Alberta to adopt year-round Daylight Saving Time, which is summer hours, eliminating the need to change our clocks twice a year?"

What normal human being poses a question like this?
I figured it out in the end, but that middle bit sure made it a bit of a head scratcher at first.
I think a lot of people would have found it confusing without the summer hours bit...a lot of people equate 'Daylight Saving Time' to the time changes themselves, not the title of the time zone from Mar-Nov.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 02:13 PM   #196
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Beyond hockey games, I think we should be considering all of our lifestyle start/end times.

For things like school, that runs Sep-June, why don't we optimize it for those months?

Jobs that follow the sun will still follow the sun. Jobs that need to align better with EST or PST for business reasons will do that. Lots of stores already do summer vs. winter hours.

Of course these changes will be slow/incremental, but I think stopping the time changes will actually allow us to make more changes that make sense. Tweaks will be easier when they don't have to account for a big change twice a year.
Old 10-20-2021, 02:39 PM   #197
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Largely a holdover from pre-cable/internet days. The league/teams/networks could easily adapt. Maybe the official HNIC broadcast cuts some non-eventful action from the 1st period and catches up to live in the 2nd. Just make the local CBC cut to the new game.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the eastern audience isn't the biggest concern here...it was about not pissing off westerners by missing the start of their games. It doesn't need to be an issue any more.
LOL, a "holdover from pre-cable/internet days"?!?

Our Saturday night games are scheduled at 8 pm MT precisely because the broadcasters want as many people possible watching the games. They could start our games at 7 pm MT and have the Alberta stations kick over to the Flames/Oilers game instead of the third period of the early game, while the rest of the network catches up after the end of that early game to the Flames/Oilers game in progress, but they would NEVER want to do that. That's just silly, you're alienating fans from the eastern side of the country who wanted to watch the entire late game, and you're alienating the Leafs/Habs/Sens fans out west who wanted to watch the entire early game. I know the point you're trying to make is that there are technical solutions that could allow people to pick and choose which they'd prefer, but you're missing the point that having the games staggered such that they won't overlap maximizes viewership. If we go to year-round CST our Saturday games will absolutely shift to 9 pm starts; Rogers/CBC couldn't care less about whether it inconveniences 20,000 local attendees, they only care about making it easier for an order of magnitude more viewers on TV.

The NFL is a perfect example of prioritizing this. They have many games being played simultaneously on Sundays, but they all start at 11:00 am or 2:00-2:30 pm, with one late game at 6:20 pm MT. It doesn't matter what the local time is for those 11:00 am and 2:00-2:30 pm games: they will always be played at those times, such that there's 3:00-3:30 for the early games to be broadcast without overlapping the afternoon games, and 3:50-4:20 for the afternoon games to be broadcast without overlapping the game in the evening. That late afternoon/early evening gap between the end of the afternoon games and beginning of the evening game is very, very carefully timed to allow people across North America to eat dinner before the evening game.

Now of course there's no way to watch them all, and there are ways to pick and choose which games you want to watch over the course of the day, but they are never, ever scheduled such that the beginning of one game will overlap the end of another. They want you to pick your 11:00 am and 2:00 pm games and stick with 'em, keeping your ass glued to the TV all day. They don't want to start games at 11:00 am, then another at noon, then another at 1:00, because chances are if you can only watch portions of them you won't watch at all.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 03:04 PM   #198
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rogers absolutely would care about alienating the local audience...a 9pm start time would draw them fewer total viewers.
Old 10-20-2021, 04:55 PM   #199
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Beyond hockey games, I think we should be considering all of our lifestyle start/end times.

For things like school, that runs Sep-June, why don't we optimize it for those months?

Jobs that follow the sun will still follow the sun. Jobs that need to align better with EST or PST for business reasons will do that. Lots of stores already do summer vs. winter hours.

Of course these changes will be slow/incremental, but I think stopping the time changes will actually allow us to make more changes that make sense. Tweaks will be easier when they don't have to account for a big change twice a year.
Is daylight savings really a big change? I literally never think about it outside of about 10 minutes a year.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 05:00 PM   #200
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Rogers absolutely would care about alienating the local audience...a 9pm start time would draw them fewer total viewers.
You know the solution is so easy for this though. Just play the games when the times make sense locally. People who want to watch the games will watch them, and they adjust. There are millions of people who watch EPL games every week in North America despite the time zone. This is just such a non-factor.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post: