Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2021, 04:22 PM   #501
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Because trajectory matters. If we were average but trending in the right direction, I can deal with that. But this? Average, trending who the f knows where, with no top-end prospects to speak of? Yea, that’s just as bad as being a cellar dweller.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:23 PM   #502
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
He said ideally Backlund is your 3rd line center on the fan...he has said it in the past too even when he was a TV analyst.
Hmmmm I've never heard Sutter pigeon hole any of his players. Not once. I find this hard to believe.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:28 PM   #503
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
November 23rd...that's 20 games and they have a 3 day break after that. If they don't have at least 22 points in that time then you start to look at a teardown.
That is not a friendly schedule. 18 points in that stretch may be a reach. Is it possible the Flames could be out of the race by American Thanksgiving, or is the Pacific division going to be their saving grace?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:29 PM   #504
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Show of hands ...

The people really upset after two games were

a) massively positive leading up to the start of the season
b) massively negative leading up to the start of the season

I'm guessing it's about 96% b) which is puzzling.

Why are you acting shocked and upset about something you spent all summer promising would happen?

And bonus question ... if they win 3 of the next 5 are you going to react similarly in the opposite direction? Or just be quiet until misery returns?

Free country ... heck free website! But I don't get the joy in misery that some people have.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 04:29 PM   #505
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
And there are probably 15 other fanbases saying the same thing. There are about 8 Elite Teams, 7 Bad Teams, and 16 Average teams. That's just the NHL with a salary cap era.

If you look over the last 5 seasons there are:

Let’s stretch that out to the last 20 seasons. Heck, 30. We are one of the most perpetually average teams in the league. I don’t understand why people don’t understand frustrations within this fan base. Again, trajectory matters. Bring average with no clear indication of which way we’re heading, that sucks.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:31 PM   #506
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

The important part of the season for the Flames IMO is post new years. I walked into this season with very low expectations of this roster so a slow start is totally on par with expectations.

Hopefully they are up to speed after November.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:34 PM   #507
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Show of hands ...

Why are you acting shocked and upset about something you spent all summer promising would happen?

And bonus question ... if they win 3 of the next 5 are you going to react similarly in the opposite direction? Or just be quiet until misery returns?

Free country ... heck free website! But I don't get the joy in misery that some people have.
Should be an option C. Low expectations but not negative.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:34 PM   #508
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Show of hands ...

Definitely B. Heading into the off-season, I was excited to finally see change to the core, but here we are…

Now that the games are back on, it’s a nice reminder that yep, we still suck. If the Flames win 3 of the next 5, I will still be as pessimistic as ever. I know where we’ll be at the end of the season no matter what. As always though, I would LOVE to be wrong.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:50 PM   #509
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Show of hands ...

There you go, labeling again.

You know what's funny? I don't see a lot of people "upset" about this. I think more people are upset about the reaction from other posters and their individual statement of their reservation toward the team that has been assembled, than the outcomes themselves. I don't see much anger. There just isn't much to get angry about. We knew this was going to be a Sutter team and most games would be a race to three goals. That has come to fruition. That is likely to playout all year. It's a Sutter thing. People are okay with that.

I think if there is anything making people upset it is the constant reference to the sudden turnaround, promised by advanced stats, that suggests the team deserved a better fate, and discounting the comments and observations of so many posters, when the outcomes were extremely predictable. It isn't like we haven't seen this script play out year-after-year-after-year with this team. There is nothing to get angry about when the team plays down to the level expected. It's disappointing, and worthy of comment, but I don't see anyone angry over this. Most are resigned to the outcomes because those outcomes are so predictable.

Ironically, a Ducks goaltender.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:52 PM   #510
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

God it's going to be a long couple of days until the next game.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:53 PM   #511
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Were the last two games more entertaining than last year. Sure frustrating with missed passes all the time, but the games were much more entertaining. Or was that just me?
Old 10-19-2021, 04:58 PM   #512
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post

You know what's funny? I don't see a lot of people "upset" about this. I think more people are upset about the reaction from other posters and their individual statement of their reservation toward the team that has been assembled, than the outcomes themselves. I don't see much anger. There just isn't much to get angry about. We knew this was going to be a Sutter team and most games would be a race to three goals. That has come to fruition. That is likely to playout all year. It's a Sutter thing. People are okay with that.

I think if there is anything making people upset it is the constant reference to the sudden turnaround, promised by advanced stats, that suggests the team deserved a better fate, and discounting the comments and observations of so many posters, when the outcomes were extremely predictable. It isn't like we haven't seen this script play out year-after-year-after-year with this team. There is nothing to get angry about when the team plays down to the level expected. It's disappointing, and worthy of comment, but I don't see anyone angry over this. Most are resigned to the outcomes because those outcomes are so predictable.
up-set

noun
noun: upset; plural noun: upsets
/ˈəpset/
a state of being unhappy, disappointed, or worried.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:02 PM   #513
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
Hmmmm I've never heard Sutter pigeon hole any of his players. Not once. I find this hard to believe.
I don't know what to tell you, he has said it multiple times...I wasn't recording my radio or TV though
Old 10-19-2021, 05:03 PM   #514
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
up-set

noun
noun: upset; plural noun: upsets
/ˈəpset/
a state of being unhappy, disappointed, or worried.
I'm pretty sure that Bingo was referring to people being angry or surly after the losses, which I don't think has been the case.
Old 10-19-2021, 05:03 PM   #515
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

You're missing my point.

If you spend all summer saying we are going to suck, why are you rushing to the internet to say we suck two games into the season?

Didn't you already see that coming?

Or is it a told you so kind of thing?

Either way I think you're splitting the atom here between upset and disappointed.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:04 PM   #516
BigRed
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
I mean, it's been more than "one" injury plagued season. But I've been on the "Trade Monahan asap because he's magic beans" train for years. He's a winger playing center who can score when he has an elite passer playing with him. Problem is most elite passers are they themselves at center. When the talk was "Gaudreau or Monahan" a few years ago, I was adamant the answer was Gaudreau and you do Monahan now before everyone realizes. They waited, and now everyone realizes.
He just turned 27 last week, and has scored the second most goals of anyone in his draft year after MacKinnon. So he peaked at 24?

You're right that he needs someone to feed him the puck. But when he has that, he's averaged 28 goals per year, if we treat last year as an aberration/injury year.

No-one's making the case that he's McDavid. He lacks fire, for sure. But he's a smart player with good hands, and with a winger that can distribute, he'll score. The Flames have two.

The idea that he's useless all of a sudden is kind of silly, two games into the season -- unless his injuries are more serious than we know. If he's healthy and is paired with a winger that rounds out his game, he shouldn't even have peaked yet.

Last edited by BigRed; 10-19-2021 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Sorry, he just turned 27 last week
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:07 PM   #517
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 10-19-2021, 05:20 PM   #518
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You're missing my point.

If you spend all summer saying we are going to suck, why are you rushing to the internet to say we suck two games into the season?

Either way I think you're splitting the atom here between upset and disappointed.
I can't speak for anyone but myself. All summer I expected us to suck because of the lack of core changes. Here we are two games in and still not winning. Why am I upset or disappointed even though I expected this? Because I had the hope of being wrong.

It's like when you don't feel right and believe there is something wrong. Before going to the doctors you hope you are wrong, but when you get the bad news, it still sucks.

Make sense?
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:36 PM   #519
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Or people are tired of ridiculous doom and gloom posts like the team will be out of it by American Thanksgiving.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:39 PM   #520
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're missing my point.

Yeah, but being sports fans we hold out hope that we are wrong and that through some miracle of cosmic karma we will get a better hand dealt to us that we see coming. It's hard to not let your heart get in the way.