Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-19-2021, 04:07 PM   #481
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Interesting Friedman mentions in his 32 thoughts column he is surprised Gaudreau didn’t get a letter.

Does Elliott think he should get a letter over Tanev? Should have they stripped one of Monahan, Tkachuk, or Backlund to ensure Johnny got an A?
I thought Gaudreau would get a letter too.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:11 PM   #482
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I thought Gaudreau would get a letter too.
I didn’t see it unless they stripped or traded someone else. Once they chose Tanev over Gio for protection I knew he was getting a letter.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:22 PM   #483
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Though I obviously know absolutely nothing about what goes on in ‘the room’ … I wouldn’t be averse to giving him Backlund’s A.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:29 PM   #484
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
Though I obviously know absolutely nothing about what goes on in ‘the room’ … I wouldn’t be averse to giving him Backlund’s A.
From what I have heard about Backlund he is a guy that has earned his letter. Treliving mentioned how dedicated he is to the team and community during a STH session years ago. Talked about how Backs would take left over food prepared for the team after the game to the drop in center on his way home after every home game.

Guys get letters for what they do on the ice, in the room and in the community. Backs has always been a leader when it comes to that and he is now the longest standing Flame the only guy left who played with Kipper.

If we were giving an A to Johnny I would say Monahan would be the guy.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:19 PM   #485
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Backlund also wore the C for his country.

Sweden
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:24 PM   #486
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think Gaudreau wants a letter... enough pressure being 90% of the offence
Old 10-19-2021, 10:27 PM   #487
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
From what I have heard about Backlund he is a guy that has earned his letter. Treliving mentioned how dedicated he is to the team and community during a STH session years ago. Talked about how Backs would take left over food prepared for the team after the game to the drop in center on his way home after every home game.

Guys get letters for what they do on the ice, in the room and in the community. Backs has always been a leader when it comes to that and he is now the longest standing Flame the only guy left who played with Kipper.

If we were giving an A to Johnny I would say Monahan would be the guy.
I agree besides since Monahan, Tkachuk, and Backlund play on different lines it gives the Flames someone that can talk to the refs at all times. Gaudreau almost always plays with either Monahan, or Tkachuk, and doesn’t seem to crave a leadership role.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:10 AM   #488
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau played 3 years at BC and in the final 2 was unquestionably their best player going into the seasons. Never had a letter. I don't think its weird at all that he doesn't have one in Calgary
Old 10-20-2021, 08:05 AM   #489
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Gaudreau played 3 years at BC and in the final 2 was unquestionably their best player going into the seasons. Never had a letter. I don't think its weird at all that he doesn't have one in Calgary
Yup. Some guys don’t want it. Some just aren’t cut out for it. I don’t think Lafleur ever wore won for the Habs (he may have for his late career teams). I’m not sure Kane ever did full time until very lately.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:05 AM   #490
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Also will get a lot of flack for this but so be it. Gaudreau is usually missing when team goes does something for the community like visiting the kids in hospital and similar events. You don't get a letter for being a good player.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:09 AM   #491
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
Also will get a lot of flack for this but so be it. Gaudreau is usually missing when team goes does something for the community like visiting the kids in hospital and similar events.
he is?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:12 AM   #492
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Also will get a lot of flack for this but so be it. Gaudreau is usually missing when team goes does something for the community like visiting the kids in hospital and similar events. You don't get a letter for being a good player.
FWIW, my kid very randomly met Gaudreau at the Children’s Hospital. He was there for some event and my kid ironically had a hairline fracture in his arm from a slash in hockey, something JG could relate to.

They were about the same height (JK).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 08:48 AM   #493
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Can you provide examples of this? I recall seeing him at events on the Flames site.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:55 AM   #494
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I call BS on this.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 08:55 AM   #495
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Can you provide examples of this? I recall seeing him at events on the Flames site.
TBF it’s expected that every Flame participate in some events. Some go well beyond the expectations.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:14 AM   #496
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"Usually missing"? Can you provide some support for this? Are you "usually present" when the Flames do things in the community?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:15 AM   #497
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Right?? What kind of fan stalks the Flames at events like visits to hospitals?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:18 AM   #498
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is a terrible post with no merit to it whatsoever. Gaudreau absolutely participates in everything the Flames do for sick kids, parades, stampede, poker night, etc..
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 09:27 AM   #499
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
Yup give Backlund a letter so he is ready to start the season in October instead of December!
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:29 AM   #500
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I have seen Johnny with kids plenty of times
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote