Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2021, 11:50 AM   #1201
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our 2yrs has come to an end and we are looking to just renew what we already have- limited tv, internet 300, and crave. Curious if anyone else has a similar plan and what they are paying? We paid $135 on the previous 2 year plan but now being offered the same but for $144.

I want a simple and easy transition to the new plan, but have given Shaw an insane amount of money over the last 15 years and want a good deal.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 02:16 PM   #1202
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Our 2yrs has come to an end and we are looking to just renew what we already have- limited tv, internet 300, and crave. Curious if anyone else has a similar plan and what they are paying? We paid $135 on the previous 2 year plan but now being offered the same but for $144.

I want a simple and easy transition to the new plan, but have given Shaw an insane amount of money over the last 15 years and want a good deal.
Seems like a lot for TV. I have Internet 300 through Shaw (no TV) which they offered at $68/mo for 2 years. That was only after I threatened to go to Teksavvy though
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:43 PM   #1203
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

The last time my 2 years was up, Shaw was not in the bargaining mood... I played a little CSR roulette but no matter who I talked to it was all the same.

I was on a ridiculously good deal for the previous 2 years and maybe that's why... but my bill ended up increasing about $30 a month unfortunately.
Old Yeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 02:30 PM   #1204
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Seems like a lot for TV. I have Internet 300 through Shaw (no TV) which they offered at $68/mo for 2 years. That was only after I threatened to go to Teksavvy though
I just switched to Lightspeed ($69/mth - no contract) after my Shaw contract ended. Got a call from Shaw CSR offering $69 but on a 2 year contract.

Since Lightspeed uses Shaw cable and I don't want to lock in for 2 years so I'll give Lightspeed a tryout.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:24 AM   #1205
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

It looks like my only option is to go with Shaw. I still get the TV package and to get the package my family "needs" I have to get Internet with Shaw or Telus. Telus can't give me speeds higher than 75 Mbps. Even though their Fibre is available close to my area, it isn't on my street and several parallel streets. A telus rep called me a few weeks ago and told me that he can only get me 150 Mbps. I checked online and that contradicted what the rep told me. I talked to my neighbour and he said Telus told him they can get him 150 but they actually can't.

So I'm stuck with Shaw and will soon be signing a 2 year contract to get a cheaper cost. I'm hoping I can get them to give me a better deal because the pricing is still ridiculous, even for a long term customer. In this day and age it bothers me that Canadians have to pay so much for TV and/or Internet even though steps were supposedly taken to make things better for us. That was useless.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:43 AM   #1206
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

My 2 year contract with Shaw ends on Black Friday. Does anyone have the direct line for retentions? Planning to call to get an offer with Black Friday promos and if not it will need to be a quick switch to Telus to take advantage of their offers
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:57 AM   #1207
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post

We re-upped maybe a year ago or so ago for a 2-yr value plan of limited tv, internet 300 and home phone (yes my wife still insists on a home line). We got the $135 price. But I generally got the impression that the phone line inclusion was the issue for costing for us.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:42 PM   #1208
MonsieurFish
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone having internet issues in the downtown area right now? My internet has been down for over an hour.
MonsieurFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 06:05 PM   #1209
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
It looks like my only option is to go with Shaw. I still get the TV package and to get the package my family "needs" I have to get Internet with Shaw or Telus. Telus can't give me speeds higher than 75 Mbps. Even though their Fibre is available close to my area, it isn't on my street and several parallel streets. A telus rep called me a few weeks ago and told me that he can only get me 150 Mbps. I checked online and that contradicted what the rep told me. I talked to my neighbour and he said Telus told him they can get him 150 but they actually can't.

So I'm stuck with Shaw and will soon be signing a 2 year contract to get a cheaper cost. I'm hoping I can get them to give me a better deal because the pricing is still ridiculous, even for a long term customer. In this day and age it bothers me that Canadians have to pay so much for TV and/or Internet even though steps were supposedly taken to make things better for us. That was useless.
Did you check out Lightspeed? They should be able to service your residence as they use Shaw cable for their backbone.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:10 PM   #1210
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got one of the newer white XB7 modems from Shaw today and replaced the XB6. I ran speed tests before and after and the change is impressive. I went from 314 down and 15.8 up to 613 down and 106 up. Later this week are speed is supposed to be upgraded even further which will be sweet.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2021, 06:19 PM   #1211
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
We re-upped maybe a year ago or so ago for a 2-yr value plan of limited tv, internet 300 and home phone (yes my wife still insists on a home line). We got the $135 price. But I generally got the impression that the phone line inclusion was the issue for costing for us.
Have a look at Ooma for your phone line. We did and it’s about $4 per month for the ooma line once you buy the basic equipment. It’s voip like shaw so all you are doing is saving money every month.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:32 AM   #1212
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Did you check out Lightspeed? They should be able to service your residence as they use Shaw cable for their backbone.
Yes. They're only internet. To get the TV package that works for our house Shaw and Telus only sell that with internet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2021, 10:37 PM   #1213
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know where else to dump this but it will get crawled and hopefully someone that needs it can find it. I dug this information up on the infinity site and not the shaw site. maybe it is there...maybe it isn't but I couldn't find it.

I bought shaw gigabit 2.0 infinity xb7 and it's great; everything works as advertised. I put the shaw router in bridge/passthrough mode.

I got the new router and it has 3 @ 1 Gb ports. it has another that is 3.25 Gb/s. Shaw does not currently offer this speed but the port itself works up to the speed that you pay to shaw. There were some reports online that you could get some "speed leakage" up to 20% on a Gb plan through that port so I decided to test that out. Unfortunately, I have not found speed leakage on shaw to be the case. I went and bought 2 CAT8 cables just to test it out and there is no upward speed leakage. one thing that concerned me was that instead of the usual green and orange flickering lights of a normal switch, it was bright orange flashing. it still worked at the advertised speeds. internet digging though helped me to discover that the flashing orange light was just a warning that I wasn't using the rated speeds down network even although I was using cat8 cable. This is true; I run a 1 Gb switch and related cabling but not at the 3.25 Gb rated speeds.

I also bought an Eero 6 pro mesh wifi to replace my Netgear Nighthawk. so far, the mesh is more stable, and delivers better speeds than my nighthawk did. so far my tests all confirm that the Eero are pushing great speeds throughout my house.

I don't know if this will help anyone...but hopefully the information on this new router helps.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:39 AM   #1214
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
I don't know where else to dump this but it will get crawled and hopefully someone that needs it can find it. I dug this information up on the infinity site and not the shaw site. maybe it is there...maybe it isn't but I couldn't find it.

I bought shaw gigabit 2.0 infinity xb7 and it's great; everything works as advertised. I put the shaw router in bridge/passthrough mode.

I got the new router and it has 3 @ 1 Gb ports. it has another that is 3.25 Gb/s. Shaw does not currently offer this speed but the port itself works up to the speed that you pay to shaw. There were some reports online that you could get some "speed leakage" up to 20% on a Gb plan through that port so I decided to test that out. Unfortunately, I have not found speed leakage on shaw to be the case. I went and bought 2 CAT8 cables just to test it out and there is no upward speed leakage. one thing that concerned me was that instead of the usual green and orange flickering lights of a normal switch, it was bright orange flashing. it still worked at the advertised speeds. internet digging though helped me to discover that the flashing orange light was just a warning that I wasn't using the rated speeds down network even although I was using cat8 cable. This is true; I run a 1 Gb switch and related cabling but not at the 3.25 Gb rated speeds.

I also bought an Eero 6 pro mesh wifi to replace my Netgear Nighthawk. so far, the mesh is more stable, and delivers better speeds than my nighthawk did. so far my tests all confirm that the Eero are pushing great speeds throughout my house.

I don't know if this will help anyone...but hopefully the information on this new router helps.

The different colors denote different speed of the connection. They're standard across ethernet ports. Green is 100mbps, solid Orange is 1000mbps.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cSpooge For This Useful Post:
McG
Old 11-21-2021, 03:06 PM   #1215
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I'm about a week away from my 2 year with Shaw expiring. I've been looking online for a couple months now since I new it was coming. Finally I contacted Shaw hoping an agent could get me a better deal. I fully expected to "fight" them for it and not come out with anything.

I have Internet 600 + Total TV and one of those archaic phone land lines through Shaw. I was getting that for the price of the Internet 300 and TV bundle from the contract I signed two years ago. They bumped me up to 600 because of installation issues I was having (I got a bad modem and I complained about having to have no internet when I was supposed to be working from home... I was actually only on-call and the odds of getting a call where extremely slim).

I told them my contract is about to expire and I want to renew or upgrade. I didn't even ask for a deal, they outright offered me Fibre 1.5 Gig + Total TV and my archaic landline for less than what I was currently spending. I started the car.

Don't ask me how I got so lucky, because that has NEVER been my experience with Shaw or Telus. They must finally be putting more value on retentions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2021, 04:17 PM   #1216
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

My contract is up but I'm not going to even bother trying to get a better deal from them. We finally got Moby fibre in the building and they have way better prices. Bye-bye Shaw.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 08:21 PM   #1217
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
My contract is up but I'm not going to even bother trying to get a better deal from them. We finally got Moby fibre in the building and they have way better prices. Bye-bye Shaw.
Does Moby piggy back off Telus fiber lines? Their site doesn't have a way to check availability, but my house is Telus fiber ready so if they're just a reseller that's definitely the way I'll go as well
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 08:28 PM   #1218
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Surprised to see Moby isnt available at my home (Calgary)
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 10:07 PM   #1219
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Does Moby piggy back off Telus fiber lines? Their site doesn't have a way to check availability, but my house is Telus fiber ready so if they're just a reseller that's definitely the way I'll go as well
No they have their own lines. Availability is limited. They’re a local company and I think mostly serve downtown and the Beltline.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:23 PM   #1220
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I called to cancel and they didn’t even try to keep me. Oh well.

I am annoyed that they want their equipment mailed back instead of dropped off at their office downtown.