Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-29-2021, 07:59 AM   #421
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
The LL Bean is open now in the old Pier 1 location.
I checked it out, and frankly the costs there are stunning. Maybe I'm just naive about how much things cost these days or something, but there's no way I'm dropping that kind of money for those clothes.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:48 AM   #422
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Everytime I walk past the Decathlon in Southcentre, I ask when their grand opening is and it has quietly kept slipping from late September to mid-October and most recently early November is the date given.

I am excited to see what all the fuss is about, it sounds like the French version of a properly run MEC with affordable in-house brands and the store will also be more of an activity center with climbing walls, volleyball, etc. rather than retail focused.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2021, 10:53 AM   #423
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Everytime I walk past the Decathlon in Southcentre, I ask when their grand opening is and it has quietly kept slipping from late September to mid-October and most recently early November is the date given.

I am excited to see what all the fuss is about, it sounds like the French version of a properly run MEC with affordable in-house brands and the store will also be more of an activity center with climbing walls, volleyball, etc. rather than retail focused.
We've bought a few items from them online and been very happy so far.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 03:40 AM   #424
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

We have them in the UAE and a lot of the stuff is cheap junk but it's definitely an interesting place to browse.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:54 AM   #425
CactusJack
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
The LL Bean is open now in the old Pier 1 location.
I went the other day as well and was really disappointed. The entire store is clothing only and unlike their American stores they have no gear whatsoever. I’d say it’s out of business within a year.
CactusJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 10:22 PM   #426
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Southcentre Mall has been closed for several days since a worker was electrocuted. It looks like there are tearing up the main entrance area to try to fix or address something.
Old 10-16-2021, 03:02 PM   #427
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

A rumour going around is that a Costco is being built in Bingham Crossing, basically kitty corner from Calaway Park on the north side of highway one.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 04:07 PM   #428
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A rumour going around is that a Costco is being built in Bingham Crossing, basically kitty corner from Calaway Park on the north side of highway one.
That will be great. I'm pretty excited about that development now. I really hope they upgrade that bridge and interchange before the place gets too much traffic. It will be a nightmare especially because that exit on westbound #1 is pretty short and the merge onto eastbound #1 can be brutal when the highway is busy.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 04:27 PM   #429
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Southcentre Mall has been closed for several days since a worker was electrocuted. It looks like there are tearing up the main entrance area to try to fix or address something.
That mall is a complete death trap electrically, this is the 2nd major electrical incident there in 2 years. Luckily the first incident didn't result in a death
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 04:33 PM   #430
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well in fairness, the story I heard through the grapevine was that the worker and/or his company were not usually involved in those types of situations. He might not have known what he was walking into and was not adequately prepared. That’s basically how it was explained to me. Regardless though, it’s tragic. Poor fellow was a younger guy who obviously didn’t expect to die on the job that day.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 07:25 PM   #431
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well in fairness, the story I heard through the grapevine was that the worker and/or his company were not usually involved in those types of situations. He might not have known what he was walking into and was not adequately prepared. That’s basically how it was explained to me. Regardless though, it’s tragic. Poor fellow was a younger guy who obviously didn’t expect to die on the job that day.
I'm familiar with the recent death and yeah, that all adds up to what I've heard. The last major incident I was very close to and I do know the details of it. The company doing the maintenance was qualified to do the work, but with southcenters very outdated prints, no site orientation and dilapidated/complex gear, this was bound to happen again. I have also worked on their equipment years ago so I'm very confident in my opinions about southcenter.

I hope the family sues the pants off Cadillac fairview for not having adequate safety training/orientation, especially after the first incident where the guy almost lost his arm.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:47 PM   #432
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Starbucks in Shawnessy connected to Indigo looks like it's gone (been gone for a while) and doesn't seem to be coming back. Unfortunate because the location is really good. What's weird is some of their machines are still in there, it's like they left suddenly with no notice
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 04:16 PM   #433
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

New Holy Grill opening in Silverado soon
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2021, 11:45 AM   #434
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Decathlon is now open in Southcentre Mall on the 2nd floor of the old Sears.

It was swamped over the weekend. Like a French MEC where everything is an in-house brand sourced cheaply and no-frills Ikea style and half the price of your typical sports store.

There is some robotic fullfilment center thing going on as well as basketball, squash courts, and I heard climbing wall but I did not see it.

There was everything from cycling (wow they have bikes and parts in stock - no name brands) to golf to hiking to home gym to tennis to hunting to equestrian (seriously there's a huge horse section), etc.
Old 11-08-2021, 11:55 AM   #435
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...-4b-investment

Amazon is putting their western Canada AWS region datacenter in Calgary. This is big news for the local economy and tech future. Even Microsoft's major regional datacenters are Toronto and Montreal and nothing out west. $4 Billion investment and 900 jobs.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2021, 02:46 PM   #436
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Amazon is putting their western Canada AWS region datacenter in Calgary. This is big news for the local economy and tech future. Even Microsoft's major regional datacenters are Toronto and Montreal and nothing out west. $4 Billion investment and 900 jobs.
I hope it's a rising trend. Free rent downtown and all their workers can afford a house thats not over an hour commute away.
Old 11-08-2021, 02:49 PM   #437
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I hope it's a rising trend. Free rent downtown and all their workers can afford a house thats not over an hour commute away.
Knowing Amazon, they will probably buy cheap land on the edges of town for the datacenter and they are getting all their power from solar windfarms in Southern Alberta from what I hear.
Old 11-08-2021, 02:57 PM   #438
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Knowing Amazon, they will probably buy cheap land on the edges of town for the datacenter and they are getting all their power from solar windfarms in Southern Alberta from what I hear.
I believe the announcement was "Calgary Area" so wherever they get the best tax deal. And those jobs? "and creating more than 950 full-time jobs across Canada. But then they also mention "investment will support 871 local jobs annually by 2037". Which is a hell of a time frame.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 03:04 PM   #439
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well yeah, but it's tech, there's virtually no need to work locally unless you're actually working in the datacenter (which there won't be a ton of on-site personnel required for). If you're doing support delivery, you are either working from home or flying to a customer unless you live near a campus location.

Quote:

Allegedly, there wasn't enough grid capacity out west for a Canadian regional datacenter for M365/Azure.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 11-08-2021 at 03:07 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 03:14 PM   #440
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Well yeah, but it's tech, there's virtually no need to work locally unless you're actually working in the datacenter (which there won't be a ton of on-site personnel required for). If you're doing support delivery, you are either working from home or flying to a customer unless you live near a campus location.

Allegedly, there wasn't enough grid capacity out west for a Canadian regional datacenter for M365/Azure.
This is our biggest issue as latency to Toronto Canada Central MS Azure is too high and Oracle doesn't like this. There is a connection hub in Vancouver but it's not the same as a datacenter region.

Regarding staffing, that is a good point, as I don't know how many support staff this will actually mean for local employment. I recall from the Facebook outage this year, their datacenters were almost empty of staff because of Covid and they had to physically bust down the stores to fix their routers.