Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2016, 01:36 PM   #2221
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Leaving Montreal for Calgary in the '90's had way more to do with Quebec than Alberta. Everyone left that chaos. I think only about 10% of our head offices are other than oil and gas. But we get tonnes of regional offices, hubs, and other secondary business...Wal Mart, Target (since gone) for example.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2016, 01:36 PM   #2222
110%
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Many head offices that were in Montreal left in the 90s due to the referendum as well, and they mostly relocated to Calgary or Toronto.
110% is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:23 PM   #2223
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I don't have numbers handy, but there have been lots.

Calgary is #2 in Canada for head offices, ahead of Vancouver and Montreal.

Yes, O&G is one reason. But the positive business environment, due largely to the tax advantage, is a very big reason for it as well.
The ndp is already working on getting rid of the tax advantage. The carbon tax is one way and the corporate tax is another. It should all be in affect by the end of their term.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:52 PM   #2224
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
The ndp is already working on getting rid of the tax advantage. The carbon tax is one way and the corporate tax is another. It should all be in affect by the end of their term.

Damn Notley for keeping corporate taxes lower than King Ralph.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:46 PM   #2225
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did some very elementary reading a few days ago regarding carbon emissions and Canada's contributions to them. What really stood out to me were the emissions amounts based on job sector. Oil and gas was #1 at ~25%. The 2nd biggest contributor? Transportation at 23%.

To me that screams of several issues. People are targeting electrical generation as a huge culprit when it's really not, and also the hypocrisy of those against pipelines for environmental reasons. We have a product in Alberta which many desire and it will be moved one way or another. Adding pipelines would cut down our transportation emissions, but it seems most of the vocal special interest groups (I Montreals mayor asking what's in it for them) are more concerned about their benefit than the environment.

/end small rant
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:26 PM   #2226
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

So given how unpopular coal is, and how much Alberta still uses for power generation, is there a reason more hydro hasn't been set up? Government investment into a technology like that which has been around for almost a 100 years would create good jobs in Alberta right now.

I recall reading something about a big hydro project in Alberta possibly going ahead but I can't find the article anymore.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:38 PM   #2227
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
So given how unpopular coal is, and how much Alberta still uses for power generation, is there a reason more hydro hasn't been set up? Government investment into a technology like that which has been around for almost a 100 years would create good jobs in Alberta right now.

I recall reading something about a big hydro project in Alberta possibly going ahead but I can't find the article anymore.
Alberta has a limited amount of hydro available and even though it's clean power, there would be pushback from special interest groups. Several Alberta power companies own hydro in BC and bring it back to Alberta already.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:47 PM   #2228
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Is it limited because all the possible locations already have hydro plants, or because there isn't enough water(basically)?

As a comparison, Manitoba Hydro generates around $350 million per year in electricity exports, and lots of people feel that number could easily be pushed to a million. The contracts signed are often good for 20-30 years, and therefore it is a steady stream of income. Obviously given it is a crown corporation there is a huge difference, but the general idea still applies.
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2016, 01:09 PM   #2229
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is it limited because all the possible locations already have hydro plants, or because there isn't enough water(basically)?

As a comparison, Manitoba Hydro generates around $350 million per year in electricity exports, and lots of people feel that number could easily be pushed to a million. The contracts signed are often good for 20-30 years, and therefore it is a steady stream of income. Obviously given it is a crown corporation there is a huge difference, but the general idea still applies.
The limitation is a self imposed one. The idea is you don't want to divert and control too much of a watershed. The actual amounts and percentages I'm not sure of but with hydro power, it is dammed. Damming too much can cause environmental issues. The reason it is dammed is so that the hydro stations can change electrical output based on how much water flows and in layman's terms, how open the valves are.

Edit: here's an article outlining in basic terms the issues with wind, solar and in situ hydro generation. Since their output cannot be regulated, it can have severe implications (dropping frequency and voltage levels) without having a backup form of generation in place. Read point 5 in specific.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/12/25/top-11-problems-plaguing-solar-and-wind-power/

Last edited by PaperBagger'14; 04-10-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:50 PM   #2230
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting graph on it. Ignore the size of the bars, for some reason they don't conform to any scale I can figure out, but the numbers are there.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:56 PM   #2231
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

Interesting graph on it. Ignore the size of the bars, for some reason they don't conform to any scale I can figure out, but the numbers are there.
Are we talking hydroelectric dams?

Are we now pretending that these don't massively hurt the ecosystem?

Or am I wrong?

Sorry that does sound sarcastic, I just get annoyed from the BC green police when I hear their hydroelectric green rants. Not that you are one of them based on your other posts.

It is interesting though, I wonder how they size up potential power (i.e. have they identified potential sites)?

Last edited by Kavvy; 04-10-2016 at 08:58 PM.
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kavvy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2016, 09:46 PM   #2232
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wasn't making a statement on anything, I just found a graphic that answered a previous poster's question...
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2016, 09:48 PM   #2233
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I wasn't making a statement on anything, I just found a graphic that answered a previous poster's question...
ya sorry, i get that, and how my post seemed like I was on the attack on you, just too much scotch, nothing on you.

Really chalked up to too much scotch and not reading the thread.

Last edited by Kavvy; 04-10-2016 at 10:18 PM.
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kavvy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2016, 09:55 PM   #2234
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe if I had had more scotch I wouldn't have noticed...hrmmm more scotch....
Old 04-10-2016, 11:26 PM   #2235
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There is not enough water in Alberta that could generate enough to offset coal.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:15 AM   #2236
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
There is not enough water in Alberta that could generate enough to offset coal.
Looking at the data above, and this:
http://www.energy.alberta.ca/electricity/682.asp
We have 6258 MW of coal generation, vs hydro potential of 11,800MW so technically you could. If that is a good idea or not is a different story.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:12 AM   #2237
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's a site with real time data available for generation:

http://ets.aeso.ca/ets_web/ip/Market...DReportServlet

It's brought to you by AESO (Alberta Electrical System Operator). This data is usually updated by the minute.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2016, 07:36 AM   #2238
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cool, thanks. Does the negative value for interchange indicate we are exporting, or importing?

Nevermind, RTFM and see negative is imports.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:27 AM   #2239
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Double Meat!!!!
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:15 PM   #2240
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Well 900 installed when 12,000 is potentially available is bloody sad.