Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2018, 09:45 PM   #401
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Maybe I misread but I thought he was calling property tax regressive and proposing the city change. I more or less agree with you on the role property tax plays.

That's my interpretation as well. I agree with you, I was just piling on.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:42 PM   #402
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Drever I would argue has been an effective MLA for a backbencher with no power. What % of MLAs have passed a private members bill?

The homophobic tweet was bad but she got roasted over those pictures by a bunch of pearl clutchers. She was sacrificed for politics.
Partisan politics at it's finest. It doesn't matter what you've done for us lately, it's your past that we are going to focus on.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:35 AM   #403
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Of course the leader has influence, I'm personally more concerned about my backbencher plug which wont. I honestly questioned Notleys belief before about pipelines but I truthfully believe she wants them now, despite her previous stance.

Peoples beliefs and values can and do change, Notley is proof of that, but unfortunately it's too little too late.
here's where we disagree. we all know notley's strongly stated values about oil sands and pipelines over many years.
I honestly think her stance now is lip service to try and stay in power.

I haven't seen anything from the actions of her government that indicate she truely now believes in their value.

what sways your thinking to believe she now honestly in her core values believes in and supports pipelines?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:22 AM   #404
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
here's where we disagree. we all know notley's strongly stated values about oil sands and pipelines over many years.
I honestly think her stance now is lip service to try and stay in power.

I haven't seen anything from the actions of her government that indicate she truely now believes in their value.

what sways your thinking to believe she now honestly in her core values believes in and supports pipelines?
I believe it's a bit of lip service for sure, but shes seen it's a large part of our economic driver and that we can build it to be environmentally friendly. I do think she believes in the BS about social licensing and that we have done our due diligence to make this a safe pipeline with as minimal environmental impact as possible with current technology.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:39 PM   #405
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I don't know, there's something unsettling about having a bunch of crooks, creeps and criminals running a political party as long as they say "lower the taxes and we're open for business!" This is the exact problem with the Republicans right now - support the t-shirt at any cost even if your team is full of the worst kind of people. Blind support for the party is why democracy is in the state it is at times.
What if they are all crooks?
Old 09-22-2018, 08:34 AM   #406
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Probably not what the party needed, but you also need that young conservative vote so what are you gonna do?

Calgary UCP hopeful offered support to Instagram page posting racist, anti-Semitic memes

Quote:
Roughly an hour after StarMetro Calgary first contacted him about his association with the account, Rightwingism, Schuman unfollowed it and said he never would have extended the offer had he realized the sorts of images posted by the account’s administrators.

“This was disappointing, very disappointing, and I’ve cut all ties,” Schuman said Wednesday.

---

The private Instagram account frequently posted pictures and animated “stories” to roughly 51,000 followers. Some are innocuous conservative-leaning polls on common political topics, ranging from cannabis legalization to the inclusion of women in the military.

But many of Rightwingism’s posts are hateful. One depicts Adolf Hitler as a Black man with the fist icon of “Black Lives Matter” below it, and claims Hitler was killed “because he persecuted the false Hebrews” and led a Black-oriented political party. Another shows a political axis chart and depicts left-wingers as “getting gassed” rather than right-wingers (who are either “selling gas” or “gassing” people). Other posts mock same-sex couples choosing to adopt children, Muslims, and African refugees.

In a private Instagram message obtained by StarMetro, Schuman reached out to Rightwingism’s administrators asking if they’d “benefit from receiving some funding?”

--

“I have been talking about your account a lot as a part of my political campaign and have met some older, wealthier, people that would be interested in helping you out,” Schuman’s message reads. “Your account brings hope to a lot of older baby boomers that think that the younger generation is a lost cause.”

--

“What I saw was young people trying to make a difference, and that’s what I thought, and I, in good faith, offered a conversation,” Schuman said.
I'm rather concerned that somebody who wants to be in control of the province's financial direction would offer up money and access to an Instagram account without even a cursory look at their posting history.

Some of the people who run/ran the account are members of the U of C's Conservative group.

Last edited by Roughneck; 09-22-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:34 AM   #407
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Probably not what the party needed, but you also need that young conservative vote so what are you gonna do?

Calgary UCP hopeful offered support to Instagram page posting racist, anti-Semitic memes

I'm rather concerned that somebody who wants to be in control of the province's financial direction would offer up money and access to an Instagram account without even a cursory look at their posting history.

Some of the people who run/ran the account are members of the U of C's Conservative group.
And really the guy wants the nomination in Calgary Glenmore of all ridings and is pledging support for posts glorifying Hitler? Good luck. If that gets around before the vote (it might be today?) he’s sunk.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2018, 09:59 AM   #408
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
And really the guy wants the nomination in Calgary Glenmore of all ridings and is pledging support for posts glorifying Hitler? Good luck. If that gets around before the vote (it might be today?) he’s sunk.
I would sincerely hope that anyone in Alberta who pledges support glorifying Hitler is resoundly defeated in every attempt for public office.

Utterly repugnant
Old 09-22-2018, 10:02 AM   #409
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why Hitler? Why is it always Hitler? The man has been dead for over 70 years!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:07 AM   #410
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m hearing that more UCP nomination candidates could be disqualified by the party for their online activities.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:22 AM   #411
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I’m hearing that more UCP nomination candidates could be disqualified by the party for their online activities.
It appears as if many UCP "candidates" are seeing this election as a slam dunk. Win the nomination, get elected, $$$$. We saw this in the last provincial election when literally, place holders became MLA's overnight. Just getting your name on the ballot should NOT be any political strategy.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:33 PM   #412
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
What if they are all crooks?
Why do you think God invented snakes?

He needed practice before he got to politicians.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:39 PM   #413
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Lol UCP candidates just can't seem to stay out of far-right trouble ... It's really not that hard to be a decent human being and this election should be a cakewalk, seriously they keep wounding themselves.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:13 PM   #414
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is no joke. I recently asked Jason Kenny about the inevitable crap that’s going to come from the fringe elements of the party. They know this is an issue.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2018, 06:19 PM   #415
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
This is no joke. I recently asked Jason Kenny about the inevitable crap that’s going to come from the fringe elements of the party. They know this is an issue.

Well they had a convention where they let them vote on things, so I don't think they're taking it all that seriously.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:29 AM   #416
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well they had a convention where they let them vote on things, so I don't think they're taking it all that seriously.
The fact of the matter is that you cant cure crazy so you just have to try and ignore it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:24 PM   #417
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And then promptly ignored the results. So they are doing an okay job so far. Patrolling the nomination process is more difficult.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:56 AM   #418
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

A look at released internal NDP documents and their spin strategy for Transmountain.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...foip-1.4835909

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:34 PM   #419
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Third NDP MLA in Calgary chooses not to run in the next election.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/polit...tion-next-year

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:40 PM   #420
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
A look at released internal NDP documents and their spin strategy for Transmountain.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...foip-1.4835909
This reminds me of the democrats strategy of "Trump's a bad guy"