Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #21
simmonjam1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I watched a documentary about yoga once and DDP yoga was on it. He said his practise isn't about namaste but it was about T&A.
simmonjam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #22
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
If you suffer from chronic knee/back/joint in general pain, I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend picking up the book 'How To Be A Supple Leopard' on Amazon. The guy who wrote it developed the idea behind voodoo flossing, and anyone who uses his methods calls them magic.
Cripes, are you on commission with them? You started a thread about Supple Leopard already. Why hijack this one?
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #23
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have it, got it because a friend who went to the Comic expo last year saw him and he needed to lose some serious weight and decided to give it a shot and just as a flyer I decided what the hell.

I have gone (forced/proded/manipulated by gf) to normal Yoga classes and its similar. What I like about DDP is you dont get any of the Chi/Energy/Shakra/my day was wonderful/everything is wonderful garbage that you get at normal yoga classes.

I do believe that if you combined it with a good diet that you would lose weight. I do it about 3X a week on days when I dont have time to make it to the gym and you most definately get your sweat on.

Maybe its implied in "normal" yoga classes but I find what makes DDP yoga more effective for me is the following:

1 - the flex muscle technique. You will think its BS but just do a few of the routines and honestly flex your arm muscle while shooting it out like a fire hydrant and the water will just start dripping off.

2 - the motivation. Maybe its just me but when I was younger I watched wrestling, mostly WWF but sometimes WCW and DDP is just a fantastic motivator for guys IMO.

Its like anything else, it must be combined with a sensible eating regiment if you want to gain strength and flexibility while losing weight.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mykalberta For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #24
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what kind of results have you seen, mykalberta?
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #25
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its hard to tell what it alone has produced as I combine it with other exercise, but when I first started I measured my heart rate when doing the Double Black diamond (an exercise routine in YRG second disk) after about 10 DDP workouts prior. My heart rate max while doing the double black has dropped 19bpm (again I also exercise at gym and "try" to eat healthy).

Also I tried my own "test" of doing wall assisted handstand pushups (Ive always wanted to be fit enough to walk around my condo on my hands like Jackie Chan does in "Rumble in the Bronx"). At the beginning I could do 4 comfortably. Now I can do 12.

That I credit to YRG simply because when thinking back to when I did 4, it wasnt my biceps or triceps that were giving out (Im a dude, I work those out the gym like nobodys business). But it was the connector muscles in my arms, back and chest that gave out and my for whatever reason weak elbow joints. The yoga has 100% helped in strengthening the muscles you cannot isolate at the gym and for that alone I would recommend it to anyone who is looking to build strength (not just the eye catching muscles).

Also while I havent really changed what I do at the gym alot since (other than adding swimming replacing eliptical) I have also noticed that durring backpacking I can more easily carry a 60lb pack on 4+night hikes with less of a strain on my back and muscles in general.

Again this all predicates on following YRG exactly. At the beginning its almost impossible to stay with the "flex" technique for a whole workout - its very difficult and there are times when its very easy to not do it to take a break.

Also, the manual that comes with YRG - its very granola-ee and organic-ee but the two things I have added to my diet from that book is bison and sea salt.

Last edited by mykalberta; 04-25-2013 at 09:43 AM. Reason: bison and sea salt
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mykalberta For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #26
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

So for anyone who's ordered this, can you get started using the MP3s they have for immediate download? I'm interested in this, but it GMG that in this day and age it's still a mail order dvd instead of having an option for a digital download.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #27
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
So for anyone who's ordered this, can you get started using the MP3s they have for immediate download? I'm interested in this, but it GMG that in this day and age it's still a mail order dvd instead of having an option for a digital download.
You might be able to. When you order it they also direct you to sign up at teamddpyoga.com. It is their online community where everybody shares information, supports each other, and posts their progress if they wish to use that as a way to keep themselves accountable. On that site you will find some links to videos to get you a head start while you wait for your DVDs to arrive. I haven't checked them out so I don't know how in-depth those videos go. I ordered mine on Monday and it still hasn't arrived, but after reading their forums people are reporting an average of 3-5 business days for the DVDs to arrive. I suspect I may take closer to 5 because it crosses the border.

The part about using the MP3s, I think they are more for people who are familiar with the program. I won't bother using them at first because I'll need the visual aides to get me started on the right track.

Last edited by Buff; 04-25-2013 at 01:36 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #28
Bent Wookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteEbola View Post
Which one are y'all ordering?
I'd like to know this as well.... is it worth buying the whole package?
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #29
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I bought the 11 workout one, I don't think I need the extreme right now

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #30
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did the same as Captain.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #31
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I got all of the video links for the pre prep stuff, I'll take a look at it over the weekend. I'm kind of looking forward to it, for the most part I'd lift weights and mess around with cardio, but I haven't had a lot of time to go to the gym, and I've developed some real problems in my shoulders and elbows.

This is exciting because its different, its not going to impact the hell out of me and there's variation.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #32
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I tried it last night - did the opening video "the Diamond Dozen" and I think it seems you'll get out what you put in. The harder you work yourself through the dynamic resistance the better results you'll see. I'm reasonably fit and my HR was up around the 160 and I had a good sweat going. I'm not a wrestling guy so I wasn't familiar with his personality but I found him quite entertaining.

I have to say it was neat to see my heart rate go up just from standing still engaging every muscle.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #33
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do Moksha, it's a vinyasa flow style yoga in a hot room...if you want another challenge

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #34
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TC- View Post
I do Moksha, it's a vinyasa flow style yoga in a hot room...if you want another challenge
If it ain't DDP Yoga, it's crap!!

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #35
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

There's some amazing studios in Calgary if anyone is interested in branching off from DDPYoga to try "real" yoga.

Bohdi Tree on 14th street and 8th ave SW is probably the best in the city

Santosha on 4th Street and 18th ave SW is a great studio, and they have free classes every Sunday at 2pm hosted by the lululemon beside it

Yoga Passage on 11th ave and 5th SW is a great, small studio downtown

If you really want to get your sweat on, Hot Yoga on 17th will kick your ass like no ones business. Hottest studio I've been to outside of a Bikrahm class.

Moksha Hot Yoga has two studios as well, one off Macleod trail and 90th SW, and another in the Aspen Landing mall. Probably my favourite studios.

Also, another way which I've really begun to love to sweat is One Cycle Spin Studio on 4th Street and 21st ave SW. Same owners as Hot on 17th, and it's easily the best workout I've had in a while. It's great for guys whose knees can't support cardio anymore.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #36
SeeBass
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have dropped about 50#s and looking to drop 50 more and I was looking for some variety.

The wife has gotten into the yoga and I have tried some of the moves that she showed me. I actually didn't mind them but I didn't want to admit to it and then get dragged to classes with her.

This is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks
SeeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #37
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

My problem with "real" yoga is the peace/love atmosphere they all seem to bring. Maybe it was because I wasnt brought up to think participation ribbons were an acceptable award.

I have been forced to go to a few different ones in the City and they are all the same thing. I like this because its similar baseline movement, yet its built for men because real men who do yoga, do DDP YRG's. DDY YRG is not for people who think the below is an acceptable hat (unless you are bald then I wont judge in case I go bald).

Old 04-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #38
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBass View Post
I have dropped about 50#s and looking to drop 50 more and I was looking for some variety.

The wife has gotten into the yoga and I have tried some of the moves that she showed me. I actually didn't mind them but I didn't want to admit to it and then get dragged to classes with her.

This is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks
Dragged to a yoga class? Have you ever seen the inside of a yoga class? They could make more money selling tickets and beer!
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #39
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
My problem with "real" yoga is the peace/love atmosphere they all seem to bring. Maybe it was because I wasnt brought up to think participation ribbons were an acceptable award.

I have been forced to go to a few different ones in the City and they are all the same thing. I like this because its similar baseline movement, yet its built for men because real men who do yoga, do DDP YRG's. DDY YRG is not for people who think the below is an acceptable hat (unless you are bald then I wont judge in case I go bald).

There's no "participation awards" in yoga because it isn't a competition. Yoga isn't designed to push your boundaries, it's to let you know your body and where you're at. It's something you get progressively better and grounded in the more you do it. Leaving the ego at the door is the heart of a successful yoga practice.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #40
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

"Problem with the peace/love atmosphere"

WHO HURT YOU!!??
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bang! , ddpyoga , guys do yoga too , not your mama's yoga , yrg