Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2014, 11:19 AM   #1141
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I've been wanting to investing some money into Sunalta properties for the last couple of years but unfortunately I'm young and don't have a huge pool of money for investments right now.
Your username begs to differ.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #1142
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Your username begs to differ.
Being a Geologist doesn't immediately come with a huge wad of cash. I already have two properties and a family to support. The dollars don't purchase as much nice stuff as they did in the past.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:45 PM   #1143
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's too bad 3 eau Claire isn't a go anymore. That would of added nicely to the skyline as well. Maybe somebody knows more?
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:08 PM   #1144
Free Ben Hur!
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
That is a gorgeous development.
If only Brookfield was as inspired as this.
Free Ben Hur! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #1145
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Being a Geologist doesn't immediately come with a huge wad of cash. I already have two properties
Ah, I see now.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #1146
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's hot.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:44 PM   #1147
Mista_Incognito
Backup Goalie

Exp:

1 car dealership down. Cant wait until the other 4 to the west disappear.
Mista_Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:27 PM   #1148
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

What's with the "wall" facing 9th? Hope it turns out good!
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:46 AM   #1149
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Yeah seriously! It's nice overall, but the wall is definitely an aspect that I don't like.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:44 AM   #1150
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Yeah seriously! It's nice overall, but the wall is definitely an aspect that I don't like.
Perhaps the architect and developer realize that any interaction along the 9th avenue frontage is doomed to fail based on the current condition of it?

Seriously, you are pretty much interacting with the MAJOR artery into the CBD and it only feels slightly below walking next to a freeway on that sidewalk.

I'm not an architect, planner, or designer. But I'd love to see if there was a way to actually "soften" the interaction between the street and sidewalk/development that would make it in any way shape or form comfortable for the human level of interaction.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:05 AM   #1151
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Perhaps the architect and developer realize that any interaction along the 9th avenue frontage is doomed to fail based on the current condition of it?

Seriously, you are pretty much interacting with the MAJOR artery into the CBD and it only feels slightly below walking next to a freeway on that sidewalk.
And with that attitude, it's doomed to stay that way - which lowers the value of the condos you're selling.

The previous version we saw for this site had much better street interaction.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:10 AM   #1152
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Which is why I said throw out some ideas on how you can "calm" that area for the pedestrian scale.

I'm genuinely curious on ways it could be done that won't cause Sun readers to have a heart attack (like on-street parking).
Old 04-26-2014, 09:15 AM   #1153
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

wide ass sidewalks with cotton woods planted?

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:39 AM   #1154
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
The previous version we saw for this site had much better street interaction.
I don't think there was a previous version. You're probably thinking of the WAM proposal across the street.

Personally, I don't mind that sloped wall, I think it's rather interesting architecturally.

I'm usually all for making things more pedestrian friendly, but honestly, I don't think that street will ever have much pedestrian use. There's just always going to be way too much car traffic for it to be a pleasant experience. It would be like trying to take a stroll on Macleod Trail...who wants to do that? It's the biggest western artery into downtown...the separation between pedestrian and car would have to be huge to make it worthwhile. I wouldn't even want to bike down that street.

I do hope that over the years it can become a much more pleasant entry into downtown, but you're not going to get boutiques to set up shop there. The best you can hope for is bigger retailers/grocery stores...or just more condos and office.

8th Street on the other hand, I think would have some potential.

Last edited by Table 5; 04-26-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:38 PM   #1155
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Which is why I said throw out some ideas on how you can "calm" that area for the pedestrian scale.

I'm genuinely curious on ways it could be done that won't cause Sun readers to have a heart attack (like on-street parking).
Trees between the sidewalk and road maybe? But how often do you see pedestrians on that section of 9th. It's rare. Most people use 8th ave where there's actually something to walk to. They've probably done a study and figured it's not a big pedestrian corridor.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:02 PM   #1156
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Posted this over in my commercial real estate thread but thought it belonged here as well. 3 Eau Claire was a disaster from the start and we are happy to say that we never advised Shaw to do that deal. I still think with the right partner you could see a world class development on the site with Shaw being the anchor tenant but a developer will have to assume a lot of risk to see that materialize.

Quote:
3 Eau Claire project seeking partner or new owner to continue

CALGARY - The owner’s representative and project manager for a financially-troubled downtown highrise twin tower development says the multi-million-dollar initiative is seeking a joint venture partner or new owner so it can move forward.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...822/story.html
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #1157
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I don't think there was a previous version. You're probably thinking of the WAM proposal across the street.
Nope. I was thinking of this. It's not a rendering, but I believe it qualifies as a "version".

Quote:
To me it's not about traffic calming. Bow Trail traffic is a minor factor in those blocks' unattractiveness to pedestrians. 17th Ave is arguably the best pedestrian corridor in the beltline, despite having (or maybe even because of) relatively high levels of traffic. The major factors are the total lack of a proper sidewalk on the south side of 9th Ave between 9th and 10th Street, the lack of destinations, and the surface parking lots.

Despite these factors, as a pedestrian I still sometimes prefer 9th Ave in that area over 8th Ave - it's sunnier, and there's quite often less sketchy people. "The wall" takes away light (both direct sunlight in the early morning and late evening in spring/summer/fall and indirect light at other times) and lacks sightlines that deter sketchy activity (it seems to have few ground-floor windows and doors).

As for pestrian activity in the area, I would assume that most of the flow is residents of the beltline coming into downtown via 11th Street, and residents of downtown west end heading into the beltline (also via 11th Street). While most of the downtown destinations and trip sources are north of 9th Ave, and thus there are very few people who must use it, it's a convenient option for many that if it were attractive or had retail that they wanted to visit would not be much of a detour if at all. Long term, if the parking lots around it get developed, then suddenly it's on a lot more pedestrian trips. But if that doesn't happen, by virtue of being adjacent to a busy pedestrian intersection (9th Ave and 11th Street), it's really not that bad. It could be a toe-hold for retail in the area that could help steer nearby properties to a better development route.

I'm not asking to pedestrianize 9th Ave or anything crazy like that, I'm just saying I'd much prefer a 2010s version of Calgary Place to a 2010s version of Continental Towers. It's a missed opportunity that will have long term ramifications on the community if the retail bays in WAM's proposal for Metro Ford (which shows that at least some people who know what they're doing believe that 9th Ave retail is viable) are staring accross at a blank concret wall.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:44 PM   #1158
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

As for the other aspects of the project:

- I love the tower design.
- I like the tower spacing (i.e not using adjacent corners for tower sites like Guardian is).
- I like the height.
- I like the density.

I'm not sure I like the organization and orientation of the towers. I think I'd rather see them stagger down towards Millenium Park. Seems like they've tried to make the tallest one standout and have awesome views, but it comes at the expense of the other two towers (particularly the short one in the back) and the park. Alternately, I think putting the tallest one on the north site, shortest one to the West and middle one on the East would also be a pretty good arrangement. I also think that the west tower should have it's point go towards the inside, again to mitigate shadowing, but for aesthetics I think that as long as the tower is short this doesn't matter that much. Prefered orientation for the other two might depend on layout - I haven't thought about it enough.

Some possibilities:

***/|***
***||*|\
/|*||*||
||_||_|| (best shadowing?)

***|\***
***||*/|
/|*||*||
||_||_|| (possible favorite)

***|\***
***||*/|
|\*||*||
||_||_||
(pretty good)

***/|***
***||*|\
|\*||*||
||_||_|| (not bad)

******/|
***|\*||
/|*||*||
||_||_||
(not bad)

******|\
***/|*||
/|*||*||
||_||_||
(kinda boring aesthetically, best shadowing?)

******|\
***/|*||
|\*||*||
||_||_||
(better)

Last edited by SebC; 04-28-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:36 AM   #1159
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Mark condo on 10th avenue and 8th street SW is apparently 100% sold now.

Also the development permit has been approved for the 19 unit Palfreyville condo in Sunnyside, just across 2nd avenue from the Vendome block.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:42 AM   #1160
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Mark condo on 10th avenue and 8th street SW is apparently 100% sold now.

Also the development permit has been approved for the 19 unit Palfreyville condo in Sunnyside, just across 2nd avenue from the Vendome block.

Wow. Sunnyside is losing a lot of the old houses lately.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote