Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2016, 12:44 PM   #1581
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
The GF has not closed the app yet (and it hasn't froze like mine did, forcing restart)... So she is still happily walking 1.25Km to get a Dratini candy.
My protest of unfairness falls on deaf ears
I had Lapras as my buddy, and it still said 1.25 km, but I didn't get a candy when I went past that mark. Now it has changed back to 5km.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:46 PM   #1582
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

I wonder what the drop off of players will be like how that the halloween update is gone. I have 1 10km egg in my incubator and if I don't get another 10km egg after it I will likely stop playing.

It was a really fun game while it lasted though, got a lot of playing time out of it. Really good game.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #1583
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal14 View Post
I'm jealous of your Doduo - my Pokedex is at 128 but I've never seen one yet. A mere 1000km of walking will get me the candy to evolve 10 of the remaining Pokemon but I'm going to need some luck to get Hitmonchan, Tangela, Doduo and Dodrio.
First Doduo I've seen. I was driving around briefly, and it showed up on fastpokemap nearby.

Hatched my Hitmonchan out of one of my first 10k eggs.

------

I'm up to 112 now, Saw a Scyther show up near my house on fastpokemap last night, and hatched Onix this morning from a 10k egg.

Caught a 2nd Snorlax yesterday eve as well, only 684CP though, and the three candies I got will be used to power up my first one to over 2200CP.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:47 AM   #1584
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was playing during the event and walked enough to get a muk and my pokedex is at 136 but I'm done playing until the next event
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:07 AM   #1585
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

It looks like Niantic has killed off the third party trackers again.

That probably ends my interest in the game.

The message on FastPokeMap looks like he has thrown in the towel.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:24 AM   #1586
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I figured that was inevitable. Was fun while it lasted, shame the developer is run by largely clueless people who believe wasting people's time is the same as compelling content.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:53 AM   #1587
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I figured that was inevitable. Was fun while it lasted, shame the developer is run by largely clueless people who believe wasting people's time is the same as compelling content.
One of the biggest flaws of the game is it seems to be designed around urban customers. Even the new tracking system they're getting ready to release isn't particularly helpful in more rural areas. From what I understand it will show you what pokestop the pokemon are closest to. That's great if you live in San Francisco where there are literally pokestops every few hundred feet. On the other hand the closest pokestop to my house is nearly a mile away, so telling me which pokestop the sightings are closest to isn't really any different than what I have now.

Add into that lower spawn rates of rare/evolved pokemon in rural areas and the game is almost unplayable at higher levels. Even with trackers I've literally only seen two dratini ever, and a single starter evolution (Ivysaur). I'm sure I'll keep playing because my son really enjoys it, but they're bound to lose large swaths of rural customers at this point unless there are some much needed changes.
Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:01 AM   #1588
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

^ The game isn't even great for suburban people like me.

The nearest Pokestops are 800m to 1km away. I read about that new tracking system they are bringing out, and I can't see how it will help me at all. Also, because I'm not near lots of pokestops, I'm constantly running out of Pokeballs. Right now, I have ZERO pokeballs and great balls, and only about 8 great balls. On Monday, I had 200 balls of various types, and in between, I constantly drive a little bit out of my way to drive past a few extra pokestops. The only way I can really stock up on balls so that I'm not running short right away is to drive across downtown a few times, but that's a specific tripsince I don't usually have reason to go there.

I live in Castleridge, and it's like the game developers forgot this community when picking Pokestops, Zero in Castleridge, and most of the neighbouring communities have 8-10.

Without a proper tracker, the only real chance of getting rare Pokemon is me happening to walk/drive right into them, and with the. Sightings turning off at speed, it's hard to find anything while driving. (Though I did catch my Lapras because it popped up on my screen as I stopped at a light).

The chances of me running into things that I don't already have is quite low. Even to evolve some of them would take my another 6 months to a year of playing at my current pace. I've never seen a handful of Species, some of those, not even on a tracker.

I may walk enough yet with buddies to evolve to a Exeggcutor and an Electrode, yet. After that, everything else is at best, nearly 100km of walking for any one evolve. Without a tracker, I don't come across enough of the type for random catches to really speed up anything. With a tracker, I can catch a couple a day of types I still need to evolve, which goes a long way towards progressing towards the goal. With trackers working, I had been averaging around adding 1 species per day to my Pokedex. Without them, The only realistic ones I can add without random chance are exeggcutor, and electrode, like I said.

With the new Training rules, it seems like more and more gyms are getting to be level 10, as well. Opportunities to train to get a Poke into a gym are getting less and less, and I don't have time to sit somewhere for an hour to attack a high level gym. I had a long stretch of collecting from gyms every day. Now, for the last few days, I've had no assigned Pokemon, with no easy opportunities to assign one.

The main reason I've been playing is to fill out my Pokedex, because my kids ask nearly every day if I have any new Pokemon. However, the amount of effort required to play without a tracker to get any further at this point just doesn't make any sense. I conceivably can see myself getting 1 new Pokedex entry every couple of weeks if I keep playing. At this point, I don't see how playing is worth it.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:21 AM   #1589
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can't even have the game open to stumble on anything rare since its became such a power pig. Used to last a few hours, now maybe one and a half.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:50 AM   #1590
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

FPM developer has called it quits, but released the reversed api publicly first, so other third party tracking is excellent, although the despawn timer no longer works. There are a couple good Android apps (PokeMesh and PokeAlert). These do require PTC accounts, as they may be singled out as tracker accounts and possibly banned.
I never used FPM though, so I'm quite accustomed to it working as it is now.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:24 AM   #1591
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Daily/weekly player bonuses are now active in Pokémon Go.
Essentially you get extra XP and dust on your first catch of the day, and extra items and XP on your first spin. Play 7 days in a row, and the bonuses for each are a lot higher.

https://www.google.ca/amp/heavy.com/...pokemongo/amp/
Old 11-07-2016, 12:20 PM   #1592
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looks like there is a speed cap for pokestops now too. We usually stock up by having my son get the pokestops on the way to and from school while I drive. Today any he spun when we werent at a stop sign/signal said try again later.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:25 PM   #1593
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Just reached Level 24:

109 Caught

Arcanine 2048
Vaporeon 1908
Slowbro 1667
Aerodactyl 1502
Ninetales 1479
Clefable 1427
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2016, 03:22 PM   #1594
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodlad View Post
Looks like there is a speed cap for pokestops now too. We usually stock up by having my son get the pokestops on the way to and from school while I drive. Today any he spun when we werent at a stop sign/signal said try again later.
Yup. Seems to cut off at about 30kph.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:50 PM   #1595
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Playing today, I think there are way more Pokemon out there. I think at least in part because I heard that they now spawn for 30 minutes instead of 15.

Also, it seems to me that the percentages may have been adjusted - for example, I think I caught 4-5 Magnemites today, as much as I've caught in 3 months prior.

Lastly, this evening I was getting at least 6 items from every poke stop. If that's a change Niantic has made, that offsets a whole lot of the frustration about not being able to get poke stops while moving too fast.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:45 AM   #1596
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Playing today, I think there are way more Pokemon out there. I think at least in part because I heard that they now spawn for 30 minutes instead of 15.

Also, it seems to me that the percentages may have been adjusted - for example, I think I caught 4-5 Magnemites today, as much as I've caught in 3 months prior.

Lastly, this evening I was getting at least 6 items from every poke stop. If that's a change Niantic has made, that offsets a whole lot of the frustration about not being able to get poke stops while moving too fast.
Yeah, I noticed all the same things. This Saturday my son and I went for a two hour walk. We caught an exeggcute, two eevees and tons of pidgies/rattatas/paras. Last night we went for a 45 minute walk and caught an exeggcute, a persian, a staryu, a machop, a machoke, a ponyta, a slowpoke and a few growlithes. I'll gladly take the variety in exchange for the speed cap on pokestops, especially with the bonuses and extra items at the stops.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:07 AM   #1597
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been noticing a lot more spawns of a lot of different types of things on my daily walk to/from work. The catch rates also seem a bit better (I generally expect to catch most things I'm going to catch within 5-10 throws) as well. I was wondering if your 'buddy' pokemon spawns or draws more of the same type to it. I have only ever seen one Magnemite, and that was currently my buddy. So now in the last week or so I've seen 3-4 more pop up.

Also, saw and caught my first Snorlax on my way to work today. A 982.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:32 AM   #1598
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I've been noticing a lot more spawns of a lot of different types of things on my daily walk to/from work. The catch rates also seem a bit better (I generally expect to catch most things I'm going to catch within 5-10 throws) as well. I was wondering if your 'buddy' pokemon spawns or draws more of the same type to it. I have only ever seen one Magnemite, and that was currently my buddy. So now in the last week or so I've seen 3-4 more pop up.

Also, saw and caught my first Snorlax on my way to work today. A 982.
I don't think your buddy plays into the spawns - Magnemites just became way more common now. I've been using an Ivysaur as my buddy and haven't seen any Bulbasaurs spawn yet. I'm seeing way more Magnemite, Paras, Krabby and Nidorans lately and less Pidgeys.

Oh yeah, and I'm up to level 26 with 131 in my Pokedex. If the trackers hadn't died I think I would have been able to get another three or four of those pretty quickly.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:04 AM   #1599
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post

Those extra items at every stop and extra spawns are only from Nov 7 to 11, apparently.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:21 AM   #1600
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Just opening the game now causes 4 pokemon to spawn right away by your trainer. More variety than before too.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote