Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2022, 07:54 PM   #761
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whole article is quite a read, but this is such a Phil quote. "Sure they're murderers and human rights abusers, but I need leverage, so whatever"

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id...ssure-pga-tour
Old 02-17-2022, 08:34 PM   #762
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
The whole article is quite a read, but this is such a Phil quote. "Sure they're murderers and human rights abusers, but I need leverage, so whatever"

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id...ssure-pga-tour
I was kind of softening on my anti-Phil feelings the last year or two. I guess his true colours are coming back out.

You never really know too much about the people you cheer for or against in pro sports. But, it sure seems like the guys with personalities that rubbed me the wrong way over the years have lined up for this tour. It's also interesting to see some pretty pointed comments coming from the tour players I have respect for against these guys. It should make for some interesting dynamics when it inevitably blows up.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 09:02 PM   #763
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Golf Digest did a piece on this and named who might be associated with it all...

Quote:
Lee Westwood has come as close as any player to publicly acknowledging his involvement. Though he hasn't officially said he's with the Saudi league, he did state he had signed an NDA during the Saudi International (Westwood also acknowledged at the 2021 PGA that a big offer would be tough to turn down at his age). Dustin Johnson echoed Westwood’s response when asked about receiving an offer at the Saudi International, while Adam Scott said at the 2022 Genesis he's in talks with the Saudi league. Jason Kokrak is a Saudi Golf ambassador and recently told the Five Clubs podcast, “I'm going to try make as much money as I can in as little amount of time, so if the money's right I would love to go play that tour and play against some of the guys that are going to go out over there." A number of European Ryder Cuppers such as Tyrrell Hatton, Tommy Fleetwood, Henrik Stenson and Ian Poulter are reportedly weighing offers, while Patrick Reed—a frequent competitor in the Saudi International—has also been in the mix.

Speaking of ... by proxy, those who competed at this year’s Saudi International have seen their names linked to the SGL. This group includes Xander Schauffele, Tony Finau, Matthew Wolff, Bubba Watson, Cam Smith, Joaquin Niemann, Sergio Garcia, Shane Lowry, Paul Casey and Marc Leishman.
Patrick Reed and Bubba being linked is zero surprise.

Quote:
Rory McIlroy has been the SGL’s most outspoken critic, stating he’s not comfortable with where the money is coming from. McIlroy reiterated his stance at the 2022 Genesis Invitational to Golf Digest. “Look, I’ve lived it—for the top guys, all that money really isn’t going to change their life,” McIlroy told Golf Digest’s Dan Rapaport. “I’m in a way better financial position than I was a decade ago and my life is no different. I still use the same three, four rooms in my house. I just don’t see the value in tarnishing a reputation for extra millions.”

World No. 1 Jon Rahm, Collin Morikawa, Justin Thomas, Jordan Spieth and Brooks Koepka have also said they will not defect to the SGL. Perhaps most importantly, Tiger Woods pledged his loyalty to the PGA Tour at the end of 2021.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/sau...ue-2022-primer
Old 02-17-2022, 09:31 PM   #764
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm one of the biggest Phil fans out there, but he's really tarnishing his legacy.
Old 02-18-2022, 09:08 AM   #765
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Phil sure is all about Phil. What's he even mad about? That he can't sell NFTs of himself using coverage from TV? That the stars don't get more money just for showing up when they're old and don't win much any more?
Old 02-18-2022, 03:27 PM   #766
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The names on either side of that list don't surprise me much at all actually.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2022, 04:34 PM   #767
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Ask Pat Perez one question... not even a question really.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 05:43 PM   #768
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Ask Pat Perez one question... not even a question really.

I've developed a lot of respect for Rory over the last few years. It seems like he really has that from a lot of the players too. He always seems to be on the right side of things and seems like a good, thoughtful guy.
Old 02-19-2022, 09:50 AM   #769
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm surprised how many of the European/British guys are looking to go over there. I would have expected more concern for the human rights side of things from them.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 09:42 AM   #770
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of course they'll go to Trump resorts.... https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...i-arabia-golf/
Old 02-21-2022, 07:16 AM   #771
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bryson says he’s staying with the pga. The super league is not looking super at all. Just phil, Adam Scott and some Europeans. Phil’s making himself look pretty foolish with no one following him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2022, 03:23 PM   #772
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Bryson says he’s staying with the pga. The super league is not looking super at all. Just phil, Adam Scott and some Europeans. Phil’s making himself look pretty foolish with no one following him.
Hard to root for FIGJAM Phil, seems like its never enough. Nice to see most of the top young players stick with the PGA. I dont believe Phil is doing this because he cares so much about the lesser players on tour.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 03:18 PM   #773
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

FIGJAM posted a massive apology, of sorts.

In totally 100% unrelated news, his sponsorship arrangement with KPMG is over.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 04:01 PM   #774
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
FIGJAM posted a massive apology, of sorts.

In totally 100% unrelated news, his sponsorship arrangement with KPMG is over.
There was no way that things werent going to go this way.

He has become toxic material in regards to anyone wanting to be associated with the PGA moving forward and he was too dumb to see it coming. (Or didnt care)

He was likely close to going into the booth with one of the networks within a couple years too at a massive salary but you know the PGA has assuredly kiboshed all that with a threat or two as well.

His agents damage control team is in Defcon 1 mode and scrambling to save his future with the PGA and beyond.
Old 02-22-2022, 04:17 PM   #775
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mickelson is one of the smartest and most media savvy athletes I have ever seen.

However in this case those qualities were trumped by his massive ego. He has enough money so that he won't feel the affects of this personally, but he has wanted to build an enduring brand and financial empire that will never be what he had hoped for now.
Old 02-22-2022, 05:25 PM   #776
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

sh|tty branding by the Saudis to let people call it the "Saudi League" given the negative connotations and fact most tour stops wouldn't even be in Saudi.

If all you did was change the name to call it, say, the "Barclay's Premier League" even though it is majority owned by the same foreign people, it would have a lot better traction.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2022, 05:41 PM   #777
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
sh|tty branding by the Saudis to let people call it the "Saudi League" given the negative connotations and fact most tour stops wouldn't even be in Saudi.

If all you did was change the name to call it, say, the "Barclay's Premier League" even though it is majority owned by the same foreign people, it would have a lot better traction.
Media driven.

The real name is the Super Golf League, but every single story seems to reference how it is Saudi financed.
Old 02-22-2022, 09:29 PM   #778
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Mickelson is one of the smartest and most media savvy athletes I have ever seen.

However in this case those qualities were trumped by his massive ego. He has enough money so that he won't feel the affects of this personally, but he has wanted to build an enduring brand and financial empire that will never be what he had hoped for now.
I don't really see him as so smart and savvy. He's built himself as a popular persona and that's about it.

He made this all about 'woe on me' for not owning his NFT footage, and bitching about the lesser known players having too much say on the tour. And then trying to frame those hardships as being worth it to take money from the journalist killing, gay-executing Saudis. At least he managed to not directly compare his plight to that of Khashoggi or gay Saudis I suppose.

He made a fool of himself bitching about taxes a decade ago, and there was nothing the least bit savvy about what he provided to the narrative on this issue.

Bottom line is Phil is a big deal for what he does against the world's best golfers. Phil hitting fancy shots without the tour or the majors is not that compelling. He doesn't get that, and he also doesn't get that there aren't really billions of dollars in golf footage NFTs.
Old 02-23-2022, 08:06 AM   #779
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I don't really see him as so smart and savvy. He's built himself as a popular persona and that's about it.

He made this all about 'woe on me' for not owning his NFT footage, and bitching about the lesser known players having too much say on the tour. And then trying to frame those hardships as being worth it to take money from the journalist killing, gay-executing Saudis. At least he managed to not directly compare his plight to that of Khashoggi or gay Saudis I suppose.

He made a fool of himself bitching about taxes a decade ago, and there was nothing the least bit savvy about what he provided to the narrative on this issue.

Bottom line is Phil is a big deal for what he does against the world's best golfers. Phil hitting fancy shots without the tour or the majors is not that compelling. He doesn't get that, and he also doesn't get that there aren't really billions of dollars in golf footage NFTs.
I don't know. I agree, his comments on this fiasco don't come across as media savvy. But he has created an entire public persona that has hade him incredibly popular. His corporate sponsorships are far beyond other golfers, he really knows how to play that game. Then once in a while the real Phil bleeds out and he gets in hot water.

I would disagree that he doesn't "get it". He gets it far more than most all of them, it just doesn't change who he is.
Old 02-25-2022, 06:29 AM   #780
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Pretty good write up on Phil, the PGA, and the whole somewhat complicated mess that the new tour has become.

Interesting that even though the new league wont be poaching top talent from them, the PGA is agreeing/being forced to several changes down the road and in consultation with the players.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id...kly-comes-next