Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-11-2021, 09:19 AM   #1
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default A note on conditions

Conditions are an important part of trading, and while they seem easy at the time of a trade being conceived, they create problems down the road.

I'm seeing more things like this:
To CALGARY
Top 15 pick in 2022 draft now owed to the Flames by the Islanders[

Please do not make conditions like this. It makes it very hard to track conditions and risks problems down the road. Any condition is between the two teams and should not involve another team. If you know you are getting a pick from someone else - cool beans - but it is still the responsibility of the two teams involved to make sure conditions are met.

Clear?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2021, 07:11 PM   #2
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Yeah — I wasn't even consulted on that move (or a bunch of other similar ones) before it happened.

If you want to owe somebody else a first knowing you're getting a first, great. I do that all the time. But please don't put the impetus on me to send that first directly to somebody new.

Particularly given, if I'm making a trade involving a conditional first with a particular GM, I might have an understanding about how that GM trades and values picks and that they might be willing to do different sorts of supplementary deals to satisfy that condition in the future. That's why I would consent to owe a pick in the first place. That can totally differ based on which GM I'm trading with. I would usually try to avoid owing Dave a pick, for instance, because I know he's pretty steadfast about what and how he values particular assets.

I ended up having to sift through like four different conditions to figure out to whom I owed a top-26 pick a few weeks ago. I figured it out eventually, but it was a pain in the ass.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:11 PM   #3
Knut

Exp:

Personally I find it insane how many conditions are out there in the league. Trading first rounders two years from now is a great way to sewer your franchise value.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2021, 08:21 PM   #4
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Sorry I just did it because I’ve done it before and there was never an issue presented that time
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to savardandjokinen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2021, 08:30 PM   #5
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
Sorry I just did it because I’ve done it before and there was never an issue presented that time
no worries pal

Old 05-11-2021, 08:32 PM   #6
Knut

Exp:

In regard to the moving of an owed asset. I don’t think it should matter if a pick you send is moved, even if conditional. You moved the asset.

You can’t get mad when someone deals a player to Dave and then flips him to someone else.

Once the asset is gone, it’s gone.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:34 PM   #7
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
In regard to the moving of an owed asset. I don’t think it should matter if a pick you send is moved, even if conditional. You moved the asset.

You can’t get mad when someone deals a player to Dave and then flips him to someone else.

Once the asset is gone, it’s gone.
sure but if I owe a 1st to Florida and then Florida owes a 1st to Dallas, that should be viewed as two separate transactions. I shouldn't be expected to facilitate the second one.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2021, 09:05 PM   #8
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
sure but if I owe a 1st to Florida and then Florida owes a 1st to Dallas, that should be viewed as two separate transactions. I shouldn't be expected to facilitate the second one.
I would just send your first to Florida, and close shop and call it a day as condition met and move on to your next one
Old 05-11-2021, 09:11 PM   #9
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

Scorp raises a good point. I guess instead of me combining it into 1 trade making Scorp sending a pick he owes me elsewhere, I should just make it a separate deal. I will do this moving forward.
BagoPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:22 AM   #10
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
Personally I find it insane how many conditions are out there in the league. Trading first rounders two years from now is a great way to sewer your franchise value.
Or to get million dolla bills and whoop it up now!
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MJK For This Useful Post: