Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2019, 07:19 AM   #4261
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can almost feel my property taxes ramping up with that news...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:21 AM   #4262
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

The head office is staying here for now. But I would imagine they will move at some point.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:34 AM   #4263
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, to be clear, this is a move of the "legal parent" so it is no longer a Canadian company, but a US one (that happens to have it main office in Calgary and is listed on TSX).

Effectively impacts its regulatory requirements, and as the press release says, opens them up to additional investors. Most investment funds/pensions have strict rules on the amount of exposure to FPI (foreign private issuer) and/or foreign energy investments they can hold. By becoming a US energy company, they likely can be bought and held in greater volumes by large institutional investors in the US, even though the day to day at the company is unchanged.

So to all the engineers, etc, here, I wouldn't worry. As time passes, if their US ops keep growing, definitely possible the actual HQ activities could move down south.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:42 AM   #4264
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ given the current climate of the industry here in Canada versus the US it seems to be easy to see where this train is headed.

We seem to be the only oil producing country that seems determine to kill the industry to pander to a small vocal group.

The US money backing Tides/LEadnow must be happy today
Old 10-31-2019, 07:45 AM   #4265
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I can almost feel my property taxes ramping up with that news...
Downtown Calgary used to contribute 25% of all property taxes collected in the city. If it’s not them contributing then it’ll either be small business or residential property taxes that will have to fill the void.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:49 AM   #4266
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
That war room ain't working so well.
Too bad we don’t have Notley still to shrug her shoulders at pipelines being cancelled, initiate a royalty review for no reason, and raise corporate tax on the only companies foolhardy enough to stick around and try to make a go of it in the most dysfunctional oil basin on the face of the planet. A major company basically as old as the railroad that just ten years ago was the highest valued company on the TSX ahead of the banks and was building a massive skyscraper to fill just bailed on this basket case country. But at least we’ll still have you here to make sarcastic comments and vote for stupid parties. Get a ####ing clue you goof.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2019, 07:58 AM   #4267
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
i suppose it is unsurprisng news that encana is moving. Who is next TC Energy? Enbridge?

We will soon all be working at Starbucks or cutting hair.

The business climate in this country is brutal
From the Calgary Herald article:

Quote:
Separately, the company said net income for the third quarter rose to US$149 million, or 11 US cents per share, from US$39 million, or 4 US cents, a year earlier. Operating profit rose to US$195 million from US$163 million.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:05 AM   #4268
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post

Hmm. Must be why they're down 9% on earnings today. The great business environment.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:07 AM   #4269
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
I know you're pointing out that because they seem "big", but those numbers are f-ing brutal for a company the size of Encana.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2019, 08:08 AM   #4270
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I get it now, the tax breaks were to help with moving costs
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2019, 08:11 AM   #4271
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Too bad we don’t have Notley still to shrug her shoulders at pipelines being cancelled, initiate a royalty review for no reason, and raise corporate tax on the only companies foolhardy enough to stick around and try to make a go of it in the most dysfunctional oil basin on the face of the planet. A major company basically as old as the railroad that just ten years ago was the highest valued company on the TSX ahead of the banks and was building a massive skyscraper to fill just bailed on this basket case country. But at least we’ll still have you here to make sarcastic comments and vote for stupid parties. Get a ####ing clue you goof.
I wonder if you logged in to this page under a private tab and read this back to yourself if you could identify the irony here. Oh well.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:12 AM   #4272
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://business.financialpost.com/c...kota-oil-spill

Not helpful
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:22 AM   #4273
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A combination of both the liberal and NDP polices over the last four years have destroyed investment in Alberta. The election results last week was the nail in the coffin.

It's bad now, how bad will it get when there's an actual recession and global energy prices collapse???
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:22 AM   #4274
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's something wrong with the anchor design on that line. At least that was cited as a reason when it leaked in 2017.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:24 AM   #4275
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
A combination of both the liberal and NDP polices over the last four years have destroyed investment in Alberta. The election results last week was the nail in the coffin.

It's bad now, how bad will it get when there's an actual recession and global energy prices collapse???
So, that's what happened to Alberta? The NDP? Things were fine before that, right? And things are going to improve now that the NDP are gone?

You can't possibly be that naive right? This really sounds like commentary you'd find on the rebel media.
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2019, 08:26 AM   #4276
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
What clue are you insinuating he get's exactly? If these foolhardy tax breaks and archaic war room tactics aren't working it must be because of the NDP? If anything it shows that Kenny is nothing but a stooge that is in way over his head as Alberta crumbles further into oblivion on the back of a rudderless ship using tactics that aren't moving the needle at all.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:30 AM   #4277
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
So, that's what happened to Alberta? The NDP? Things were fine before that, right? And things are going to improve now that the NDP are gone?

You can't possibly be that naive right? This really sounds like commentary you'd find on the rebel media.
LOL ok, you're right, the NDP policies of increased taxes, royalty reviews, lacking support of pipelines were welcomed in 2014 when oil prices crashed.

Get a clue.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to username For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2019, 08:32 AM   #4278
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, let me rephrase my post:

Thanks again Notley.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:35 AM   #4279
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love how conservatives try and pretend like a REVIEW was frightening investors and driving away business. It's such bad faith logic, I almost wonder if they even believe themselves.

Last edited by White Out 403; 10-31-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:36 AM   #4280
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
I know you're pointing out that because they seem "big", but those numbers are f-ing brutal for a company the size of Encana.
Being on track for nearly $1B Canadian in net income for a year is far from "effing brutal". There are not many companies in the country outside of the big banks turning above those numbers and those companies are in a league of their own.

We should all raise a glass and be glad fat boy subsidized yet another highly profitable company that is leaving or will ultimately lay off hundreds shortly.