Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2019, 12:01 PM   #41
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Nm
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 12:01 PM   #42
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yep and Backlund is ideally a 3rd line center on a contending team so steep price to pay for sure.
Hes 26 now, not 30 like backlund

Also think your undervaluing bscklund
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 12:01 PM   #43
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
JT Miller scored as many points last season as backlund....
Backlund played 3 more minutes per game than Miller. Miller was a victim of the massive depth Tamp has going for it.

The two previous seasons Miller had 56 and 58 points playing 17 minutes a game.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 12:04 PM   #44
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barca View Post
I still love this deal, the pick is protected and by 2021 the Canucks should be a playoff team with Petersson and Hughes leading the way.
Should be, maybe... no guarantees. The D is not playoff worthy, basically you are banking on Hughes becoming a top pairing guy? On Demko breaking out? Both? Not trying to be snarky but I just don't see it unless things break their way. Petterson, Boeser and Horvat are great but they still need help unless you are expecting 250 points from those guys. The rest of roster doesn't impress me, but who knows, maybe the kids change that. Lots of questions, I certainly wouldn't be placing any bets that they make it either year.
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 12:06 PM   #45
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yep and Backlund is ideally a 3rd line center on a contending team so steep price to pay for sure.
Miller played 3 less minutes per game; makes slightly less money, less term.

People that think Miller is a cap dump must have really unkind things to say about backlund.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 12:06 PM   #46
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I still love this deal, the pick is protected and by 2021 the Canucks should be a playoff team with Petersson and Hughes leading the way.
Should be, or more likely could be. It's tough to make the playoffs when you are just another team trying to do so, and the Canucks won't be better than a maybe I would suggest in the next few years.

Giving up a first round pick at this stage of their growth for a decent but complimentary player at best is a foolish thing to do. even if they make the playoffs, the pick could easily be around 20.

As someone said, speeding up the rebuild by trading draft picks is usually not the thing to do. It would have better to use the cap space at the UFA market.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 12:10 PM   #47
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

people are reacting like the Canucks gave up a 1st OA pick for Miller... it's not that serious guys.

the 2021 draft class is not anywhere near as deep as next years, and that pick is lottery protected.

J.T Miller is 26 yrs old player in his prime not a 39 yr old Marleau who is a true definition of a cap dump.

a 1st for a top 6 forward is not that steep of a price. Like i said, the Canucks is likely a playoff team by 2021 so that pick on a weak draft is probably not that valuable anyway.

and besides, its not like they cant recoup a 1st in 2021.

if that 2020 pick wasnt protected JB would be in witness protection program
Barca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 12:11 PM   #48
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
people are reacting like the Canucks gave up a 1st OA pick for Miller... it's not that serious guys.

the 2021 draft class is not anywhere near as deep as next years, and that pick is lottery protected.

J.T Miller is 26 yrs old player in his prime not a 39 yr old Marleau who is a true definition of a cap dump.

a 1st for a top 6 forward is not that steep of a price. Like i said, the Canucks is likely a playoff team by 2021 so that pick on a weak draft is probably not that valuable anyway.

and besides, its not like they cant recoup a 1st in 2021.

if that 2020 pick wasnt protected JB would be in witness protection program

No it isnt.

Bob McKenzie
@TSNBobMcKenzie
·
16m
Replying to
@TSNBobMcKenzie
BTW, if the conditional VAN first-rounder to TB slides to 2021 (because the Canucks miss the playoffs in 2020), that 2021 first-rounder is not lottery protected.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:19 PM   #49
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Both sides of the terminology debate are correct in a way.

Yes JT Miller is a cap dump from the TB perspective.

However he differs from most cap dumps in that he’s not overpaid, he’s still in his prime.

VAN got a good player and had to give good value to get him. Seems like a good deal for both teams.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 12:27 PM   #50
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

This has big blow-up potential if the Canucks are worse in 21 than in 20
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 12:27 PM   #51
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Its very similar to the Hamonic trade. Although that Flames team had been a playoff team prior to that move. Still its the type of deal that helps mske a team better now but stops them from being great.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:29 PM   #52
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

No doubt JT Miller is a good player in his prime. Some will say Miller's points are propped up from playing in Tampa, some will say Miller's talents were being underutilized and he could put even more points if given more ice time.

But at the end of the day, Tampa was in cap trouble, and Vancouver is not yet a Stanley Cup contender. The condition this year is wise, but the risk in 2021 is huge. IF Van does not make the playoffs in 2021, this trade is a disaster.

As it stands today this trade is a win for Tampa, with the potential to be a landslide win for Tampa. Unless Van wins the cup of course LOL
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 12:31 PM   #53
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can smell the desperation on Benning. He knows if he doesn't make the playoffs next season he's out of a job, so potentially trading away an unprotected 2021 1st rounder is no big deal for him. Let the next GM clean up his mess.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 12:33 PM   #54
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
This has big blow-up potential if the Canucks are worse in 21 than in 20
It's obvious, but looking at the 8 teams the Canucks would need to displace...given their defense...it is entirely plausible that they dont make the playoffs for 2 more years.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:55 PM   #55
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta love this deal for Tampa. They needed to move salary and got a 1st from a team that has been a dumpster fire for the last 5 years.

Don’t hate it for Vancouver acquiring a 26 year old locked into a decent contract. They have the young talent to believe in 2 years this will be a pick in the teens at worst. They need to address that blueline though.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 01:54 PM   #56
Darth Tkachuk
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm listening to round 2 on the radio, got Pat Steinberg and two clowns from Vancouver. Said clowns seem to think this is going to help vault the Suckanucks into the playoffs in the next 2 years. I'm sitting here scratching my head wondering what kind of drugs they're smoking. Yes they have some really good young players, but they have even bigger holes to fill. The problem isn't the young players, it's the massive holes, and lack of depth in the lineup. Am I wrong in thinking this team is a lot farther away from the playoffs then they seem to think they are?
Darth Tkachuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:04 PM   #57
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Nucks don't make the playoffs by 2021 then they have far bigger issues than the loss of the 1st, as such this is a decent move, the contract doesn't have a NMC or the like so if things do go south for them they can move him easily enough.

Last edited by afc wimbledon; 06-22-2019 at 02:09 PM.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:06 PM   #58
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I actually think the Canucks have a ton of forward depth -- in fact, maybe too much.

Pettersson
Boeser
Horvat
Miller
Pearson
Goldobin
Baertschi
Eriksson
Virtanen
Roussel
Leivo
Granlund
Sutter
Motte
Beagle
Gaudette
Spooner
Schaller

Those are all good, NHL-calibre options. My issue with the Canucks is that their defense is unproven and injury-prone, and their goaltending situation is somewhat uncertain, but that team is starting to shape up quite nicely.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 02:08 PM   #59
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Tkachuk View Post
I'm listening to round 2 on the radio, got Pat Steinberg and two clowns from Vancouver. Said clowns seem to think this is going to help vault the Suckanucks into the playoffs in the next 2 years. I'm sitting here scratching my head wondering what kind of drugs they're smoking. Yes they have some really good young players, but they have even bigger holes to fill. The problem isn't the young players, it's the massive holes, and lack of depth in the lineup. Am I wrong in thinking this team is a lot farther away from the playoffs then they seem to think they are?
I don't think the playoffs in 2 years is that far off. That said there is a difference of a playoff team and a stanley cup contending team. If the rumours are true, it sounds like Vancouver will be very aggressive on July 1st. Won't be surprised if Gardiner signs there for huge money. They are trying to fast track the rebuild and i think they end up with a mindling playoff team if they do. Trevor Linden had the right aproach on being slow and methodical for the rebuild . Benning, Weisbrod and ownership don't see it that way.I think Linden was correct and the latter are wrong.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 02:24 PM   #60
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I actually think the Canucks have a ton of forward depth -- in fact, maybe too much.

Pettersson
Boeser
Horvat
Miller
Pearson
Goldobin
Baertschi
Eriksson
Virtanen
Roussel
Leivo
Granlund
Sutter
Motte
Beagle
Gaudette
Spooner
Schaller

Those are all good, NHL-calibre options. My issue with the Canucks is that their defense is unproven and injury-prone, and their goaltending situation is somewhat uncertain, but that team is starting to shape up quite nicely.
Green said that Miller will play on the top line with Pettersson and Boeser.

and in two years where some people are fearing the Canucks to be a lottery team, they add Podkolzin to the top 6.

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - Podkolzin
Beartschi - Gaudette - Virtanen
Roussel - MacEwen - Granlund

i mean its not bad, definately not a lottery pick lineup.
Barca is offline   Reply With Quote