Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2019, 05:16 PM   #221
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loved how Tod Button broke down Pelletier and Nikolaev in the Flames post draft video. Give it a watch. Preaches their core fundamentals. Love the organizational mindset now.

Last edited by dammage79; 06-22-2019 at 05:43 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 05:40 PM   #222
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default With the 26th OA pick, the Flames select LW Jakob Pelletier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Loved how Tod Button broke.down pelletier and Nikolaev in the Flames post draft video. Give it a watch. Preaches their core fundamentals. Love the organizational munset6 now.

Ya I mean it’s hard to take Craig’s word about the flames prospects at face value. He’s got obvious close ties with the organization but I do agree that Flames have been prioritizing drafting high IQ players for some time which is why we are seeing many sub 6 footers being drafted. It’s starting to pay dividends in the regular season and hopefully will translate to playoff success at some point. We will have a very small team in the future tho if MEP and Pelletier make the team in the next couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 05:44 PM   #223
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveicedhockey View Post
That's a good point: position be damned, he's their BPA.

I did hear Francis on the radio yesterday being Francis and suggesting that he doesn't expect Johnny to finish his contract here.
I don't think that's an outlandish claim at all. If the Flames are smart it will likely be a hugely beneficial move to get something for Gaudreau before this contract is up. He's either a) leaving for nothing or b) re-signing for like $12-14mil right before 30 years old.

Make the runs now, sell the last off season he is here, imo.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 08:12 PM   #224
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I don't think that's an outlandish claim at all. If the Flames are smart it will likely be a hugely beneficial move to get something for Gaudreau before this contract is up. He's either a) leaving for nothing or b) re-signing for like $12-14mil right before 30 years old.

Make the runs now, sell the last off season he is here, imo.
If the Flames poop the bed again this post-season I think you move him next summer, two years before he's a UFA. Moving him then would return maximum value instead of a team worried about losing him after only one year. If he's moved to the Flyers in 2020 they get two years of a great contract with the ability to sign him to an extension after one year.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 11:05 PM   #225
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default With the 26th OA pick, the Flames select LW Jakob Pelletier

Pelletier’s point totals are very similar to what Hischier put up in his draft year. Not comparing them but it does show that he’s got some high offensive potential. Looking forward to seeing him progress. Wouldn’t surprise me if he was pretty high in the flames rankings.

On his HF profile there was a French article that was posted that noted that 9 out of 10 scouts the writer talked to had him as the best player in the Q in his draft year.

Last edited by Beninho; 06-22-2019 at 11:16 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:17 PM   #226
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
If the Flames poop the bed again this post-season I think you move him next summer, two years before he's a UFA. Moving him then would return maximum value instead of a team worried about losing him after only one year. If he's moved to the Flyers in 2020 they get two years of a great contract with the ability to sign him to an extension after one year.
I agree, but it is shortsighted to continuously fixate on the Flyers as if they would be the only team extending an offer for one of the best wingers in the game on a high-value contract. I get that he would probably prefer to play close to home, but Gaudreau’s availability would command leaguewide attention and I would expect the Flames to make a deal for the highest return in a likely bidding war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:31 AM   #227
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I agree, but it is shortsighted to continuously fixate on the Flyers as if they would be the only team extending an offer for one of the best wingers in the game on a high-value contract. I get that he would probably prefer to play close to home, but Gaudreau’s availability would command leaguewide attention and I would expect the Flames to make a deal for the highest return in a likely bidding war.

Sort of like the bidding war that Trouba generated when he had one more year left with the Jets?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:34 AM   #228
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Sort of like the bidding war that Trouba generated when he had one more year left with the Jets?
It's like you didn't follow that story at all.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:12 AM   #229
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It's like you didn't follow that story at all.
He's not wrong. Trouba had one team in mind and he forced his way there. If the worst fears about JG are confirmed, you don't wait until he's 1 year away from UFA to trade him, that's when his 5 team NTC kicks in. If Calgary waits until he is 1 year from UFA, the returns will be extremely diminished.
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:27 AM   #230
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoFleury View Post
He's not wrong. Trouba had one team in mind and he forced his way there. If the worst fears about JG are confirmed, you don't wait until he's 1 year away from UFA to trade him, that's when his 5 team NTC kicks in. If Calgary waits until he is 1 year from UFA, the returns will be extremely diminished.
Yeah, I know but that's what my entire thing was about and what Textcritic was agreeing with. The Jets should've addressed the situation a minimum a year ago. Good point about the five team trade list though, totally forgot about that. Yeah, move him next summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Just using Philly as an example, it's not a fixation. The entire idea of moving him next summer is to have as many possible trade partners available as possible.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:21 AM   #231
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
...Just using Philly as an example, it's not a fixation. The entire idea of moving him next summer is to have as many possible trade partners available as possible.
Right. This was less so directed at you specifically, and more of a general complaint about seeing trade discussions around Gaudreau almost entirely featuring Philadelphia. Some posters have gone so far as to suggest that the Flames would get a poor return on a trade for Gaudreau next year because of Philadelphia’s cap situation—as if the only option for the Flames in the next 12-24 months is to move him to one team.

Quote:
Old 06-23-2019, 12:00 PM   #232
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoFleury View Post
What is the specific date that these clauses kick in? Is it 1July or thereabouts?

Quote:
Old 06-23-2019, 02:17 PM   #233
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Managed to stumble upon a brief interview of Jakob Pelletier from their game this past February 8th.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bza...ew?usp=sharing

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 02:57 PM   #234
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Gaudreau is signed, at a great value. Trouba is not signed. If you can’t figure out the difference in a salary cap system I can’t help you.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 09:06 AM   #235
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

How do people feel about Jakob Pelletier after training camp and a couple of NHL exhibition games?

As expected?

Disappointing?

He will be a Flame next year?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:23 AM   #236
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
How do people feel about Jakob Pelletier after training camp and a couple of NHL exhibition games?

As expected?

Disappointing?

I think he showed well at camp. I hope they take their time with him though. Next year it would be great to see him play a full season in the AHL.

No need to rush him, let him progress at a steady rate.

If he is a solid addition to the middle 6 in 2 years that will be great for the organization.

I am happy with the pick/player.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 10:08 AM   #237
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Loved how Tod Button broke down Pelletier and Nikolaev in the Flames post draft video. Give it a watch. Preaches their core fundamentals. Love the organizational mindset now.
I may have it wrong but I recall that in recent draft past (like Ruzicka draft) they were kind of swinging for high upside potential and ability.

I watched that video of Button and at the end when talking about Nikolaev he talked about fundamentals of centre in Russian hockey and having that core 200 ft game in place. This was also mentioned about Pelletier. Button goes on to compare that profile to guys who don't have the fundamentals and are just playing pond hockey - which he says there is nothing wrong with.

To me it's like he's saying we wanted 'safer' or higher floors this time around while in the past they went for highest ceiling but perhaps some issues?

Are they just trying to balance the prospect pool out or did they learn something from like drafting a kid like Mitchell Mattson who had big upside (not to focus on individual players but more the philosophy).

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 09-28-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:14 AM   #238
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

As expected?

Disappointing?

I think it's always important to remember what part of the first round a first rounder came from. Is he top five? Top ten? middle of the round? End of the round.

When a team picks in the final 5 or so picks of the draft the player is great at many things but certainly not complete, and not expected to compete for a NHL spot at his first camp (not saying you thought he should be).

I liked the pick, and I liked that they seem to be choosing lack of size as the "zit" on their picks now and not lack of hockey sense or skill. I think he'll play, but don't know when or to what extent up the roster.

He had some pretty good hockey sense and polish to his game five on five.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:17 AM   #239
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Pelletier was first star, two goals and two assists in his first game back for Moncton last night

Also named team captain
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 10:19 AM   #240
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

To me it's like he's saying we wanted 'safer' or higher floors this time around while in the past they went for highest ceiling but lots of warts.
Pelletier and Nikolaev both have huge ceilings, though. At 26th and 88th you have two guys who respectively might project to be similar players to a Brendan Gallagher or Mikael Backlund. How they pan out remains to be seen, but I don't think floor ever outweighed ceiling. They were simply the best prospects available at the time.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote