Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-20-2019, 03:10 PM   #21
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
All three of them?
I get that their stadium sucks and is in a bad location, but what exactly do they expect when nobody shows up to the games?
No I get that, I really don't care if the Rays leave, I'm just saying watching 1/2 year of baseball doesn't make any sense for most fans to commit to. It's not even the good half!
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:30 PM   #22
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
No I get that, I really don't care if the Rays leave, I'm just saying watching 1/2 year of baseball doesn't make any sense for most fans to commit to. It's not even the good half!
Yeah, this seems like a move specifically designed to kill the team in Tampa without violating their current lease.

Meanwhile, the mayor of St. Petersburg says they can't do this.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1141798096957071360

I'm sure MLB wouldn't blink an eye at any threats from St. Pete. The cost of breaking the lease shouldn't be too much at this point.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:45 PM   #23
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keeping them in the AL East makes more sense.

Natural rivalries with TOR and BOS
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:16 PM   #24
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Keeping them in the AL East makes more sense.

Natural rivalries with TOR and BOS
Ya that seems like a no-brainer to me.

Just the ticket sales alone would be reason enough. Jays fans in Montreal and Expos fans in Toronto would have a lot more opportunity to buy tickets if they were in the same division. Plus the added opportunity of having the Expos play in the AL and play games in Seattle and draw more western Canadian Expos fans down to watch.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:14 PM   #25
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

i know as an Alberta tax payer I'm stoked to foot the bill for the new stadium they'd need. Wonder if the mob labor premium runs higher or lower than the Big O.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2019, 05:58 PM   #26
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy19man View Post
From what I have heard, most fans there would want the team to be in the National League if a team moves there permanently.
The only way it makes sense to have a second Canadian team is if they both play in the same division. You can't have Montreal and Toronto only meeting in interleague affairs, especially when the team you're relocating already plays in the AL East.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:07 PM   #27
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

The concept isn't necessarily that ridiculous. A local rugby team plays in two different cities but they are only 60km apart with games being alternated. I can't see it working when you have teams in two different countries and one city only gets the early season games. I agree with those saying this seems like more a ploy to get out of the St. Pete lease early.

If they are thinking of combining teams wouldn't it make more sense to do it with the Florida teams? Miami doesn't have much support either. Call them the Florida Marlin Rays and split the home games. Then give Montreal an expansion team and let them start the first couple weeks on the road.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:47 PM   #28
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why bother having any games in Tampa, why not just move the whole team to Montreal if attendance is that bad?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:00 AM   #29
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand baseball fans as I could never get into the game so I have a bunch of general questions. Are there really enough fans in Montreal to support a team or would it just be one year of nostalgia followed by apathy and empty seats? Is baseball is growing sport and do the kids like it (the future fan base) especially in Montreal? Teams play something like 90 home games in the regular season. Who has time for that many games as a season ticket holder especially when they play back to back games or mid week afternoon? There doesn't seem to be enough action or intensity during a baseball game to build any level of excitement in the stands. Why see a game in person vs watching on TV?

Again, I don't like baseball or understand the attraction to the game so please educate me.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:10 AM   #30
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Why bother having any games in Tampa, why not just move the whole team to Montreal if attendance is that bad?
For the same reason why attendance would quickly (i.e.: within a couple years) be just as bad in Montreal: The existing ballpark sucks and is in a bad location.

Both markets need new stadiums in accessible locations to be viable.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:28 AM   #31
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I would assume an MLB would be a knockout blow to the CFL in that City.
Kavis Reed was the knockout blow to the CFL in Montreal.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:31 AM   #32
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
For the same reason why attendance would quickly (i.e.: within a couple years) be just as bad in Montreal: The existing ballpark sucks and is in a bad location.

As an Albertan I would much prefer to have some of my taxes pay for new facilities in Calgary rather than a new baseball stadium in Montreal.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:40 AM   #33
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I don't understand baseball fans as I could never get into the game so I have a bunch of general questions. Are there really enough fans in Montreal to support a team or would it just be one year of nostalgia followed by apathy and empty seats? Is baseball is growing sport and do the kids like it (the future fan base) especially in Montreal? Teams play something like 90 home games in the regular season. Who has time for that many games as a season ticket holder especially when they play back to back games or mid week afternoon? There doesn't seem to be enough action or intensity during a baseball game to build any level of excitement in the stands. Why see a game in person vs watching on TV?

Again, I don't like baseball or understand the attraction to the game so please educate me.
I've always had a soft spot for baseball. I enjoyed playing hardball as a kid and over variations like slow pitch. It is probably one of the major league sports that may die out faster than others as it seems kids don't want to play it anymore and young people don't like watching it on TV or in person. I can't get my kids to sign up for it because none of their friends play and of all sports it seems to be one that younger kids just don't gravitate to anymore. You can search the internet as there's plenty of theories on why it's dying. I feel sports in general as we know will start to decline over the years as we become less active as technology becomes more and more prominent and sports are less a part of our lives. I don't think the movie Wall-E is very far off of what the future could look like one day.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:18 AM   #34
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
If you want to use movies to compare it baseball is like a drama. There's isn't endless action like hockey but the anticipation of what is going to happen next is what makes it exciting. The early innings not so much because you have a lot of innings left to get runs back but the later innings can be just as tense as a hockey game late in the third or in OT.

I always followed the Blue Jays and would flip over to a game for an inning or two if there was nothing else on but never started actively watching games until their playoff run in 2015 and started to appreciate how exciting baseball can be. Since they suck so bad right now it's hard getting through a whole game but I still will watch games from the start as long as they aren't afternoon games when I'm at work.

Like the Blue Jays I always followed the Raptors and wanted them to do well but I can't see them winning the NBA title making me watch more games next season.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2019, 11:38 AM   #35
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I played baseball as a kid, and will always go to a game if I'm in a city with a MLB team playing. There is a real "summer relaxation" feel to baseball, its more of a casual sporting experience. You have a beverage and visit with the people you came with. I don't watch baseball on TV, because it moves too slowly. (Although I feel the same way about the NFL, so YMMV).
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 12:22 PM   #36
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
All three of them?
I get that their stadium sucks and is in a bad location, but what exactly do they expect when nobody shows up to the games?
Current issue is that the owner doesn't care about local baseball. Since he doesn't reside in Tampa it causes issues with corporate support and local fans. Until they can agree upon a new stadium (which I feel this is a power move to get a sweet heart deal in St Pete) attendance will continue to suffer.

They had a project that failed yet again in 2018 and can no longer negotiate stadium deals outside of St Pete. The project was an ideal location (so people have said I don't live in Tampa) the whole process is pretty much the same as the Flames current arena issues.

As a Rays fan I don't want them being a split city I would much rather outright move to Portland or Vegas if they can't be in Tampa.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #37
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

The plan would be to build an open aired stadium in Tampa to save considerable costs and a brand new open aired facility in Montreal.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:59 PM   #38
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yes, that's the plan. But unless shovels are in the ground, I wouldn't bring the team to Montreal yet. All it takes is a few delays, and you're stuck in the Big Owe permanently - until you relocate again. So simply relocating is not good enough. The new park needs to at least be under construction.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:00 PM   #39
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Anyway, the Tampa Bay Times throws a big ole can of gasoline onto the fire:

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/rays...the-positives/

Quote:
First and foremost, this community renege on the promise it made Stu Sternberg when he assumed control of the Rays in 2005. Almost everyone told him back then if he put a winner on the field, fans would arrive in droves, games would sell out and everything would be right about baseball in the bay.

He held up his end, the community didn’t.

We must accept a cold reality: maybe this market can’t fully support three major sports franchises. Maybe the lack of corporate headquarters, low wages and fixed incomes mean while we love to watch “our teams” on the television, we don’t have enough disposal dollars to prop up the Bucs, Lightning and Rays.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:28 PM   #40
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Anyway, the Tampa Bay Times throws a big ole can of gasoline onto the fire:

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/rays...the-positives/
Newspapers gonna newspaper. Need those clicks. We are still 2/3 years away from the end of this saga. They are stuck until 2027 which means agreement for moving/building new park is 2022 to have a place to play in 2027.