Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2019, 01:49 PM   #41
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

IIRC, Puljujarvi didn't have many deficiencies in his scouting reports, other than some questions as to how good he would be as a scorer. His IQ was really high, and he was a very good 200ft player for his age.

I do think that he is yet another player that the Oilers have wrecked. How salvageable he is remains to be seen. I look at a guy like Niederreiter as a possible comparable. Islanders forced him into the line-up before he was really ready for the NHL, and then put him in a position to fail. Managed to regain quite a bit of his game on the Wild, and looks like a stud in Carolina again. Can Puljujarvi be a Niederreiter, or will he be more like a Yakupov?

Even Nugent-Hopkins has been completely underwhelming in the NHL. He was supposed to be an elite playmaker with incredible vision - the type of playmaker that doesn't come around too often. I don't see it. Hall unquestionably became a better player outside of Edmonton. Remember MPS? Still hanging around the NHL, but just barely as an energy player. Did he leave Edmonton too late, or was he just way over-hyped and under-scouted?

Will be interesting to see what Edmonton does with him. I hope they get nothing for him for 3 logical reasons:
1) If they didn't properly scout Puljujarvi, then they deserve to be left with nothing.
2) If they messed up yet another (way) above average prospect and ruin what may have been a really great career, then they deserve to be left with nothing (less than nothing preferably).
3) Edmonton sucks, and the entire organization from the top town is an embarrassing blight on the NHL and all things good in this world, and should be disbanded and become nothing more than a cautionary tale that you really do reap what you sow.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 01:50 PM   #42
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Can't wait for the juggernaut that is Chevy offer the Oilers Ehlers straight up.
Oilers can't eat all that cap.

Going to have to be Russell + Puljujarvi for Ehlers once the Jets can't come to terms on a deal with Myers.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:51 PM   #43
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
If we could get him while keeping all of the key roster players Dube, Mangiapane, Andersson, Valimaki, Kylington, Parsons and our 1st rd pick I think you do it no matter what.

Assets in play would be Jankowski, Frolik, Neal, Stone, 2nd rd or later rd picks, any other prospects etc.

Is it enough to entice a divisional rival however? I seriously doubt it.
This is another way of acknowledging that there is no fit for a trade between Calgary and Edmonton. The Oilers will probably get the equivalent of a second round pick from another team, which is about the most that Puljujarvi is worth. If Calgary were to make an offer it would need to be higher than that, and that is an overpayment for this type of player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 01:55 PM   #44
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1141422922927468544

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 01:55 PM   #45
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Puju's had both hips operated on.

You're either viewing that as damaged goods or saying to yourself "what's he like with two good hips".

It's a higher risk acquisition than Yakupov, but wow, him and his people must be seriously pissed off at the Oilers organization to air all of this in public.

They are trying to force a trade in the next 2 weeks imo.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:55 PM   #46
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yup way too early to completely write him off IMO. Feel like sometimes the early picks that start in the NHL get written off early. He's only 21 and really the issue is the Oiler rushed his development.

Look at Tyson Jost who was also taken early in that draft year.

Jost: GP-141 G- 25 P - 49
Puljujarvi: GP-139 G- 17 P - 37

Pretty close overall (Jost has played on the better team) but people still see Jost as a developing prospect while Puljujarvi is getting written off.

A team is going to look smart for picking him up IMO.
I think he has a really decent shot of getting back on track. The oilers development system has just been brutal on kids. If Puljujarvi wasn't anointed the next Jari Kurri minutes after he showed up in Edmonton things might have gone better for him.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:27 PM   #47
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I’d roll the dice on him for the right price. We could still badly use a young right shot RW with size and skating.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 02:31 PM   #48
1991 Canadian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Really curious what this trade ends up looking like. In theory, a former 4th overall, still young prospect should intrigue teams, but how many teams would okay with being worse short term to potentially win the trade in the medium – long term?

Normally I’d say a change of scenery prospect swap would be the smartest move, but the Oilers seem particularly desperate to prove to ole McDavid they are a winner. They are likely going to prefer an established NHL player on a below market contract, ideally with a bit of term.

These are my guesses. These players are still relatively young and established players.

Leafs: Connor Brown. 1 year. $2.1 million. RFA. 29 points.
Sens: Jean Gabriel Pageau: 1 year. $3.1 million. UFA 30 points (prorated)
Hurricanes: Jordan Martinook. 2 years, $2 million AAV. UFA. 25 points.
1991 Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:53 PM   #49
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well the Oilers got Zach Pochiro and a 3rd round for Yakupov.

Pochiro was in the ECHL last year and has never played a game in the NHL. The 3rd round pick ended up being traded to move up 4 spots where they took G Stuart Skinner. Skinner played 6 regular season games for Bakersfield last year and achieved a .879 save percentage.

Holland might be able to get the equivalent to that for Puljujarvi.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:06 PM   #50
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Puju's had both hips operated on.

You're either viewing that as damaged goods or saying to yourself "what's he like with two good hips".

It's a higher risk acquisition than Yakupov, but wow, him and his people must be seriously pissed off at the Oilers organization to air all of this in public.

They are trying to force a trade in the next 2 weeks imo.
No kidding. Press release aside, they've basically handed the rest of the League a barrel over to which to drape the Oilers.

Other than the fact they have his rights they effectively have no leverage and a publicly unhappy player.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:11 PM   #51
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yup way too early to completely write him off IMO. Feel like sometimes the early picks that start in the NHL get written off early. He's only 21 and really the issue is the Oiler rushed his development.

Look at Tyson Jost who was also taken early in that draft year.

Jost: GP-141 G- 25 P - 49
Puljujarvi: GP-139 G- 17 P - 37

Pretty close overall (Jost has played on the better team) but people still see Jost as a developing prospect while Puljujarvi is getting written off.

A team is going to look smart for picking him up IMO.
He's a year younger than Sam Bennett who has been written off by more than a few here. He was a scratch in the AHL, struggled under McLellan and Hitchcock so I don't think you can pin his issues on the Oilers as he's clearly struggling to adapt to the North American game. I'm not saying he doesn't have upside but you have to pretty well disregard where he was drafted and look at the player today and I'm not sure he's the type of prospect you give up a lot for in return. I wouldn't give up a 2nd round pick for him but maybe a 3rd round pick but it sounds like teams aren't lining up to give up a lot for this guy.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:14 PM   #52
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I’d roll the dice on him for the right price. We could still badly use a young right shot RW with size and skating.
Worst case we stick him with Gaudreau, pad his stats and trade him for what we paid.

Best case he suddenly becomes the skilled goal scoring winger we need.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:24 PM   #53
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
I can't wait for the day that we see "[Rumour] McDavid has made it clear to the Oilers that he wants to be traded" on this board.
One more losing season and I bet it will happen.
As it is, he's (seemingly) not spending any more time in Edmonton than he absolutely has to. Might be a function of his current injury status, but there is starting to be murmurs around town that no one has really seen much of him since the end of the season. I don't think that's a coincidence.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:28 PM   #54
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it will be unlikely that the Oilers trade him to the Flames - unless the Flames offer something significantly better.
They simply aren't going to want to risk the egg on their face.
So unless the Flames step up, it's gonna be tough for them to land him.
Whatever price he goes for, I think we can trust the price was higher for Calgary.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 03:31 PM   #55
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
lol "nothing against the Oilers"

How can this be seen as anything but a repudiation of that awful organization?
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:32 PM   #56
shotinthebacklund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I think it will be unlikely that the Oilers trade him to the Flames - unless the Flames offer something significantly better.
They simply aren't going to want to risk the egg on their face.
So unless the Flames step up, it's gonna be tough for them to land him.
Whatever price he goes for, I think we can trust the price was higher for Calgary.
Or find a third team willing to swing the deal with them as flames silent partner a la , martin Jones , Hoffman.
shotinthebacklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:49 PM   #57
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd probably do 26 for pool party and their 2nd. Trade down scenario. Works for all sides I think. Saves EDM cap and some face, flames get an out of the box cost controlled rw and still a real good prospect 12 spots down.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:50 PM   #58
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I'd probably do 26 for pool party and their 2nd. Trade down scenario. Works for all sides I think
No thanks.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:52 PM   #59
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
No thanks.
Brilliant well thought out retort there sport.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:57 PM   #60
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it just me or is Jankowski too high of a price to pay for Pool Party?

Maybe Dillan Dube, but I think I'd rather keep Janko
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote