Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2019, 10:47 AM   #21
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flyers look to be revamping their D-core. Niskanen, Braun in. Gudas out. Macdonald being bought out. Potentially trading Gostisbehere too.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:54 AM   #22
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

No sense in trading Brodie if you think this sets a comparable. Brodie is 3+ years younger, has 100+ career points more in less games, and was a +29 last year as a partner to the Norris trophy winner.

If Brodie is traded, I think some will be surprised at the return (in a good way). I think Brodie has a ton of value to a lot of GMs, including our own. I don't think we're going to trade Brodie just for the sake of trading Brodie. We'll either get a good return, or he will be a Flame to start the season.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to the-rasta-masta For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 10:55 AM   #23
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Flyers look to be revamping their D-core. Niskanen, Braun in. Gudas out. Macdonald being bought out. Potentially trading Gostisbehere too.
IMO, Gostisbehere is great for hockey pools but not for winning Stanley cups. The guy is too 1 dimensional at his current development.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Husky For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 11:13 AM   #24
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

If this is Braun's value, then Brodie's should be quite a bit more than I figured.

Now, it may be that for some reason the Flyers loved Braun. I don't know why. But Brodie is better than every metric you could likely use.

This certainly should peg his value starting with a late first.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:21 AM   #25
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
agreed, it's a rough year to be trying to move Brodie. Aside from the tradable dmen that have already moved, and are on the market, there's plenty of decent fill in options on the FA market also...
- Gardiner
- Myers
- Edler
- Stralman
- Engelland
- Hainsey
- del Zotto
- Benn
- Nemeth
- Mcquaid
- Polak
- Gunnarson
- Petrovic
- Methot
- Lovejoy
- kronwall

Naturally, some are 5-7 guys there, but definitely guys that teams may be wiling to take a shot on, that don't cost much cap wise, and don't require assets.
I think Brodie's a better option than most, if not all, on that list.
Steve Bozek is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve Bozek For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 11:40 AM   #26
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
There's an inverse relationship between trade deadline values due to scarcity and free agency values due to glut.

Trade Deadline is a sellers market, free agency (or the lead up) is a buyers market.

In the abstract, if Braun gets a 2nd and a 3rd in value, then Brodie should receive a similar return. However, with the excess of available defenders on the market (i believe 4 have been traded in the last 48 hours), the market for teams looking to acquire defenders has shrunk...
What abstract? Brodie is 30-years old and has 247 career points. Justin Braun has scored almost 100 fewer points in 30 more games, and he is two-years older.

I don't know what Brodie will fetch in a trade, but I remain confident that he is worth a hell of a lot more than Justin Braun.

Moreover, we really have no idea from the outside as to what "the market" can handle. It's not like each team has a limit on the number of trades they can make. As is often the case, I expect that if and when Brodie is traded it will very likely be to a team that few projected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 06-18-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 11:41 AM   #27
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Brodie is a significantly better player than Braun. This sets his market as the majority of us thought it would be, which is a 1st round pick + other asset.
Doesn't mean anyone wants him enough to give us more than that.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:44 AM   #28
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Doesn't mean anyone wants him enough to give us more than that.

Then you keep your top pairing defensemen that helps you win hockey games. Absolutely no reason to trade him for anything similar to what Braun just returned.
HighLifeMan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 11:45 AM   #29
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Then you keep your top pairing defensemen that helps you win hockey games. Absolutely no reason to trade him for anything similar to what Braun just returned.
Unless you want to make space for Valimaki and Kylington. He's also a cap hit of $4.65 that expires this year. The time to trade him is now.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:57 AM   #30
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Unless you want to make space for Valimaki and Kylington. He's also a cap hit of $4.65 that expires this year. The time to trade him is now.

Valimaki already has a guaranteed spot on this roster.

The ultimate goal is to win a stanley cup and Brodie gives you a far greater opportunity to do so than Oliver Kylington.

Trading Brodie for under market value at this moment is not only poor asset management, but makes this team considerably worse short term. Some of you just want to make a trade for the sake of making a trade.

A 1st round pick must be involved or a roster player that upgrades our top six. Otherwise needlessly throwing away an incredibly talented player for a pair of middling picks gets this team no where.
HighLifeMan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 12:23 PM   #31
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Valimaki already has a guaranteed spot on this roster.

The ultimate goal is to win a stanley cup and Brodie gives you a far greater opportunity to do so than Oliver Kylington.

Trading Brodie for under market value at this moment is not only poor asset management, but makes this team considerably worse short term. Some of you just want to make a trade for the sake of making a trade.

A 1st round pick must be involved or a roster player that upgrades our top six. Otherwise needlessly throwing away an incredibly talented player for a pair of middling picks gets this team no where.
And Valimaki is projected as a top pairing D. 4 spots currently held by Giordano, Brodie, Hamonic, and Hanifin. Not to mention Andersson has played well enough to hold a top 4. Brodie isn’t needed.

Some of you don’t want to consider asset management and just want to keep a player until he leaves for nothing as UFA for the sake of keeping what you know.

Brodie won’t be on this team either way when the Flames win a cup.
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 01:32 PM   #32
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And Valimaki is projected as a top pairing D. 4 spots currently held by Giordano, Brodie, Hamonic, and Hanifin. Not to mention Andersson has played well enough to hold a top 4. Brodie isn’t needed.

Some of you don’t want to consider asset management and just want to keep a player until he leaves for nothing as UFA for the sake of keeping what you know.

Brodie won’t be on this team either way when the Flames win a cup.

How does people suggesting not giving Brodie away for anything short of improving our team equate "Keeping Brodie until he leaves for nothing via UFA".

Is it better to trade Brodie away for a 2nd now, for ####s and giggles, and then acquire a depth defenceman while giving up a 1st or 2nd at the deadline, for a long playoff run, equate good asset management to you?

From what i've read, most everyone thinks trading Brodie is smart. Trading him away for the sake of trading him away is not.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 01:46 PM   #33
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

I miss level-headed Hextall

Ghost has shown he can be a Norris-caliber defenseman and is signed for 4.5M for 3 more years. He could turn out to be a Phaneuf, but is still worth a tonne presently. I really hope this isn't a signal that the Flyers are giving up on him. Selling low would be a mistake.

I don't know about Braun, but I do like that they are addressing the Flyers defensive needs. Niskanen + Braun >>> Gudas + AMac

Edit: If the Flyers believe in Carter Hart as a future all-star goalie, it makes sense to push their window to NOW while he is still on an entry-level contract. The risks make sense in that context.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:06 PM   #34
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

How or why do teams continue to help the Sharks out of bad contracts is beyond me
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:20 PM   #35
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
How does people suggesting not giving Brodie away for anything short of improving our team equate "Keeping Brodie until he leaves for nothing via UFA".

Is it better to trade Brodie away for a 2nd now, for ####s and giggles, and then acquire a depth defenceman while giving up a 1st or 2nd at the deadline, for a long playoff run, equate good asset management to you?

From what i've read, most everyone thinks trading Brodie is smart. Trading him away for the sake of trading him away is not.
IMO Brodie is worth a second and change, so yes. It doesn’t matter though what you or I think he’s worth. Treliving should take the best deal out there this off season.

We don’t need to give up a first or a second for depth at the deadline if we even need to add at all. Fantenberg cost a 4th this year.

You want to move Brodie at the deadline while we’re in a playoff position and then shuffle the pairings 3/4 through the season? Probably not and then after that he’s a pending UFA with no trade value.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:39 PM   #36
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If You can shed appropriate salary elsewhere, as in finding takers for all of frolik, stone, neal without any salary coming back, I'm not sure the best course of action even is to trade Brodie.

You've got something pretty solid with him and Giordano, if he makes your biggest minute player better, there's value to that.

Winning now means letting players walk, unfortunately. Brodie is a player I might just play it out with this year and let him go to free agency after the chips are down on his last season.

You'll get a better return for Hamonic and I think that's priority #1, improving the roster in the immediate term.

Play Brodie with Gio for another season to lower Gio's mileage and see what happens.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:20 AM   #37
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
IMO Brodie is worth a second and change, so yes. It doesn’t matter though what you or I think he’s worth. Treliving should take the best deal out there this off season.

We don’t need to give up a first or a second for depth at the deadline if we even need to add at all. Fantenberg cost a 4th this year.

You want to move Brodie at the deadline while we’re in a playoff position and then shuffle the pairings 3/4 through the season? Probably not and then after that he’s a pending UFA with no trade value.
How do you come up with this stuff out of what I posted?

I specifically said, as other posters have, that I'd rather keep Brodie for next season rather than give him away for anything less than his value. You can argue his value, but to trade Brodie away, just to get him off the roster is just plain old ludicrous.

Nobody mentioned trading him away while being in a playoff position, or midway through next season. Plain and simple some believe (myself included) that one season of Brodie on the Flames has more value than a 2nd/3rd round pick. That's it, that's all.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:53 AM   #38
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How do you come up with this stuff out of what I posted?

I specifically said, as other posters have, that I'd rather keep Brodie for next season rather than give him away for anything less than his value. You can argue his value, but to trade Brodie away, just to get him off the roster is just plain old ludicrous.

Nobody mentioned trading him away while being in a playoff position, or midway through next season. Plain and simple some believe (myself included) that one season of Brodie on the Flames has more value than a 2nd/3rd round pick. That's it, that's all.
I don't think you understand how UFA and asset management works at all.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:32 PM   #39
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think you understand how UFA and asset management works at all.
Thanks but judging from the reading comprehension you displayed in this thread, I'm not sure you're one to judge.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:37 PM   #40
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks but judging from the reading comprehension you displayed in this thread, I'm not sure you're one to judge.
No, it's clear. You prefer to keep Brodie for all of 2019-2020. He then becomes UFA.

I prefer to trade him now, for whatever the best offer out there is. IMO probably no more than a 2nd and change.