Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2019, 09:48 AM   #61
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Sorry you took offense but I'm one of those that reads opposing forums and the sentiment in other forums was that the Flames look beatable. I just feel like it's a bit strange after those first two games that a lot of Flames fans feel they played okay. I never said I'm an expert. I just voice my opinion.
After game 1 there was a thread on HF started by an Avs fan asking which opponent the Flames wanted in the second round. I didn’t see much talk at all that the Flames were beatable after they won 4-0. As with many others in this thread I disagree with your take on game 1.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:50 AM   #62
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
When you ask for Monahan to step up what are you expecting? He did score in game 2 but that's typical Monahan in that you don't notice him most of the game and then boom he puts the puck in the net. I don't know if he's the type of guy that's ever going to take over a game or be a threat every single shift. If he has another game where he's silent but scores it's probably a good game for him.
Exactly what we saw from him for 60+ games this year? Until the latter stages of the season, he was finding ways to get open and get pucks on net from tough areas fairly consistently and the PP was rolling. When he's hitting the score sheet, the Flames win the bulk of the time.

There isn't really any grey area. For Monahan, a dominant game tonight would be a handful of chances, maybe a goal, and some inspired defensive coverage on the Mackinnon line.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:50 AM   #63
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
More games to play, more tortures to issue!

Our Hero hits the road to cheer the Flames on! He knows that each Game matters, and the pursuit Of victory is crucial if you want a seat on the Throne of
champions. Forget winter, That Darn Puppet is coming!!!!

Spoiler!

Go Flames
Hahahaha, man I love these so much. That Flames Zamboni is sweeeeet! Thanks, Puppet! GFG!
ASP#26525 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ASP#26525 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 09:50 AM   #64
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
No ...

You said you were at the game to make yourself an expert
You said people see what they want to see to discredit those that disagree with you.
You suggested you somehow managed to canvas the rest of the free world and they agreed with you.

That's not just voicing your opinion.
I said I was at the game because I feel you do get a better viewpoint live as to what's going so I feel that from my seat I didn't see a very good first two periods. I said people see what they want to see because it's totally true. I'm on a Raiders forum where half the fans think Derek Carr is a good QB and the other half thinks he's the worst QB in the history of the NFL so I'm very familiar with seeing people argue opposite viewpoints where they both clearly think they are right. I could be seeing it wrong but that's what I see. The rest of the world outside of Flames fans were less impressed than most of us are about the opening two games for sure that's not my opinion or anything as I went out to other forums for the viewpoint. I really think I hit a nerve with you here and I'm sorry you misinterpreted my posts.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:51 AM   #65
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames were a bad bounce off Hamonic's skate away from winning game 2 in regulation. They also dominated overtime and lost off one bad read by our best defensive player.

We're not in a bad spot. Home ice advantage isn't about games 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6. It's about game 7.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 04-15-2019 at 09:54 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 09:51 AM   #66
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Haha EE is always negative, it's his thing. He would complain about the Flames goaltending during the regular season. Now that Smith almost stole a game it's a bad thing.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 09:53 AM   #67
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Flames were a bad bounce off Hamonic's skate away from winning game 2 in regulation.
Didn't Lindholm win all his faceoffs up to that one? It is pretty crazy that they were that close to being up 2-0 in this series.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #68
tfi racing
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Not feeling it tonight. Flames may win, but will have their work cut out for them after MacKinnon single handily dominates the Flames with a hat trick and amazingly as well also gets an assist on his two of his own goals then makes several miraculous saves in net.Not saying he is the greatest hero of all time ,but gets a cat out of a tree and saves the life of a man by performing open heart surgery on the way to the rink.Yeah, that guy is really something,we are truly doomed...
tfi racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:57 AM   #69
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
No ...

You said you were at the game to make yourself an expert
You said people see what they want to see to discredit those that disagree with you.
You suggested you somehow managed to canvas the rest of the free world and they agreed with you.

That's not just voicing your opinion.
I think you're taking those comments far too personally. EE is right in mentioning he was there as you do get a much more accurate take on the 200 foot game compared to watching on TV. How is he to know you were also at the game? He certainly didn't say anything to the effect that he is the only voice of reason because he was there (that I have read).

The rest is obviously completely personal bias, but there is a case to be made that the Flames do look beatable, which is fine. They clearly haven't played their best hockey yet, so there is little cause for concern until they put themselves into a situation where they are facing elimination.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 04-15-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hot_Flatus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 09:58 AM   #70
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfi racing View Post
Not feeling it tonight. Flames may win, but will have their work cut out for them after MacKinnon single handily dominates the Flames with a hat trick and amazingly as well also gets an assist on his two of his own goals then makes several miraculous saves in net.Not saying he is the greatest hero of all time ,but gets a cat out of a tree and saves the life of a man by performing open heart surgery on the way to the rink.Yeah, that guy is really something,we are truly doomed...
MacKinnon is a really good player but the NHL is a team sport. Have some faith that the better team overcomes the better player.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:01 AM   #71
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

Actually nervous and not concentrating on work as we are leaving for Game 3 at 4pm.

Nervous because although I have watched most of the Flames games in the Can over the last decade plus, this is a first...PLAYOFFS!

My take is I enjoy watching the small things live that you can't pick up on TV as a lot of times there small things going on before or after the play or not directly involved where the puck happens to be on the ice.

Keys to a Game 3 Flames win:

Stay out of the penalty box
Intensity for 3 periods
Don't allow the large gaps from the Avs forwards and our D
Another solid game from Smith
Top 6 for the Flames have to be difference makers tonight
Don't run around looking to hit people, if the hit is there take it, but don't get out of position
Traffic in front of Grubauer while getting the puck on net

Sorry if that's too many keys, but as I mentioned lots of nervous energy before we head down to the game in 6 hours...
iamca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:02 AM   #72
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
I think you're taking those comments far too personally. EE is right in mentioning he was there as you do get a much more accurate take on the 200 foot game compared to watching on TV. How is he to know you were also at the game? He certainly didn't say anything to the effect that he is the only voice of reason because he was there (that I have read).

The rest is obviously completely personal bias, but there is a case to be made that the Flames do look beatable, which is fine. They clearly haven't played their best hockey yet, so there is little cause for concern until they put themselves into a situation where they are facing elimination.
I'm good thanks.

Not taking it personally at all. I've said similar things to others when they respond to posts that weren't even mine. It's a terrible way of making a point, but pulling expertise, suggesting the other side is biased, or adding the world to your side when the first two fail.

I'll always be all over that kind of thing. Others should be too.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #73
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://twitter.com/Fan960Steinberg/...86704988844032

Peters contemplating lineup changes tonight.

Hopefully this includes a Gio-Andersson pairing from the get go tonight. Rasmus has looked far more consistently reliable than Brodie. The Flames can't allow him to continue to make so many boneheaded plays if they expect to come out on top of this series.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:08 AM   #74
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

McKinnon is going to get a ton of ice time and that won’t change. Chances are his line will end up on the scoresheet, but if Smith continues his play all the boys have to do is out produce that line. The Flames can’t play much worse than the other night, and I can only imagine they all want to rebound from that lacklustre performance.
4-2 Flames. Gaudreau, Backlund, Gio and Bennet
Old 04-15-2019, 10:09 AM   #75
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Peters has to do a better job getting Johhny involved in these games.

Just 33 minutes in icetime over the first two games - compared to Backlund's 47, and Mackinnon's 51.5.. I understand that linematching is a key factor here but Johhny is the straw that stirs the drink for this club offensively and he is not getting enough of an opportunity. If that' means going head to head with Mackinnon thats what you do

We are not winning this series unless our top line produces. Peters need to get them going.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 10:12 AM   #76
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

We've got this. Saturday night should be a wakeup call that in the playoffs you can't sleepwalk to victory. Unlike in years past, this year's Flames team has shown that they can step up and take games over when necessary, and I think we see that tonight.

All you Flames fans at the game tonight, make it loud. Coming back to the dome with a 3-1 lead would be awesome.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:16 AM   #77
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

We'll see tonight how well they contain Mackinnon without having last change.
He's honestly the only thing keeping Colorado in the game, however I too don't buy the narrative that "he'll slow down" because the guy is used to playing big minutes.

I think we just need a better effort from our 1st line, and I think Fantenburg has struggled in the first 2 games. Wouldn't mind seeing Valamaki slot in personally.

I know we swept the season series 3-0 vs Colorado and everyone was hoping to play them, but every game was close including a big 3rd period comeback game so we cant continue to underestimate them.

Just need to get back to Calgary Flames hockey, and the big guys need to find that gear they had.
Royle9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:21 AM   #78
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Peter L on the fan thought that game 1 was pretty even. For whatever that's worth.
Rhett asked him if the Aves would need to have a game plan for our top line. Peters response was, which is the top line?Followed up with how the Monahan line has struggled for the last 2 months.
Our depth is great, but we need the top line to be better. Without theast change they may get exposed tonight.

Let's hope the whole team plays better. They were very flat last game.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 10:24 AM   #79
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamca View Post
Actually nervous and not concentrating on work as we are leaving for Game 3 at 4pm.

Nervous because although I have watched most of the Flames games in the Can over the last decade plus, this is a first...PLAYOFFS!

My take is I enjoy watching the small things live that you can't pick up on TV as a lot of times there small things going on before or after the play or not directly involved where the puck happens to be on the ice.

Keys to a Game 3 Flames win:

Stay out of the penalty box
Intensity for 3 periods
Don't allow the large gaps from the Avs forwards and our D
Another solid game from Smith
Top 6 for the Flames have to be difference makers tonight
Don't run around looking to hit people, if the hit is there take it, but don't get out of position
Traffic in front of Grubauer while getting the puck on net

Sorry if that's too many keys, but as I mentioned lots of nervous energy before we head down to the game in 6 hours...
That's what makes it so much sweeter on the other side!

Going to playoff games is like drugs haha
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 10:27 AM   #80
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
We'll see tonight how well they contain Mackinnon without having last change.
He's honestly the only thing keeping Colorado in the game, however I too don't buy the narrative that "he'll slow down" because the guy is used to playing big minutes.

I think we just need a better effort from our 1st line, and I think Fantenburg has struggled in the first 2 games. Wouldn't mind seeing Valamaki slot in personally.

I know we swept the season series 3-0 vs Colorado and everyone was hoping to play them, but every game was close including a big 3rd period comeback game so we cant continue to underestimate them.

Just need to get back to Calgary Flames hockey, and the big guys need to find that gear they had.
I'm all for Valimaki getting a shot, but for me, Brodie needs to be lifted from the lineup or have his ice time severely limited. Through the first two games you already can't count all of his gaffe's on one hand. Fantanberg is the least of the teams issues right now.