Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2019, 09:47 AM   #1
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Let's talk about Fluoride (again)

We have an older thread about the issues of surrounding fluoride in the city's water:

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=142316

My issue is more of a cost related one. My benefit plan doesn't cover Fluoride application on adults. This used to be like $20, one of my family members last rejected claim was a fluoride charge of $42. At this point i'm thinking we should just buy our own and apply it after we leave (when needed). I'm trying to find stuff the dentist would use, anyone ever do the same? Was looking at something like this - looking for fluoride experts to chime in

https://frontierdental.ca/products/d...yABEgJkGvD_BwE
Old 02-14-2019, 10:30 AM   #2
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why not just pay the $42 for the fluoride at your dentist / hygienist separately so your claim doesn't get rejected?

You probably don't want to be applying it yourself lest you use it too much. It's particularly a concern if you have kids, since forming teeth are susceptible to dental fluorosis.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:47 AM   #3
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

With respect, I've never got the impression applying a fluoride treatment was done with any great amount of skill, care or attention.

I would be interested in the home kits for sure.
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:48 AM   #4
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you nuts? That's how the gov't controls your mind!
Old 02-14-2019, 12:47 PM   #5
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
We have an older thread about the issues of surrounding fluoride in the city's water:

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=142316

My issue is more of a cost related one. My benefit plan doesn't cover Fluoride application on adults. This used to be like $20, one of my family members last rejected claim was a fluoride charge of $42. At this point i'm thinking we should just buy our own and apply it after we leave (when needed). I'm trying to find stuff the dentist would use, anyone ever do the same? Was looking at something like this - looking for fluoride experts to chime in

https://frontierdental.ca/products/d...yABEgJkGvD_BwE
I don't want to offer an opinion on the topic, but will recommend the following.
a superior product. safe for kids, too.

http://www.gcamerica.com/products/preventive/MI_Paste/
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Ace
Old 02-14-2019, 01:43 PM   #6
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayne008 View Post
With respect, I've never got the impression applying a fluoride treatment was done with any great amount of skill, care or attention.

I would be interested in the home kits for sure.
I’d say that’s more to do with your practitioner, not the treatment itself. The dental clinic I use has skilled people.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2019, 03:04 PM   #7
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Why not just pay the $42 for the fluoride at your dentist / hygienist separately so your claim doesn't get rejected?

You probably don't want to be applying it yourself lest you use it too much. It's particularly a concern if you have kids, since forming teeth are susceptible to dental fluorosis.
It's only the $42 portion that gets rejected. It seems like a pretty expensive cost, especially when its foam stuff they just put in two trays and leave you there for 2 minutes. My assumption is the whole bottle of foam probably costs about the same and would be good for lots of applications (maybe pointless if the stuff expires though)

With that said, i think our dentist is likely on the high end of charging. Like i said, it use to be a bit of an eye raiser at $20, but $42, seems pretty high. Just to put it in perspective, my family is paying about $500/yr for fluoride (12 applications) - the insurance pays the kids portion so obviously not my actual cost; but if we were paying for everyone out of pocket a pretty substantial number, when perhaps one $40 bottle might cover those same applications.

Last edited by Ace; 02-14-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:07 PM   #8
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to be Pro-Floride but then I found out that something in the water was making the Oilers terrible.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:23 PM   #9
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
It's only the $42 portion that gets rejected. It seems like a pretty expensive cost, especially when its foam stuff they just put in two trays and leave you there for 2 minutes. My assumption is the whole bottle of foam probably costs about the same and would be good for lots of applications (maybe pointless if the stuff expires though)

With that said, i think our dentist is likely on the high end of charging. Like i said, it use to be a bit of an eye raiser at $20, but $42, seems pretty high. Just to put it in perspective, my family is paying about $500/yr for fluoride (12 applications) - the insurance pays the kids portion so obviously not my actual cost; but if we were paying for everyone out of pocket a pretty substantial number, when perhaps one $40 bottle might cover those same applications.
Have you tried negotiating with the dentist? Some dentists have an individual out of pocket rate and a rate when charging to benefits. If the dentist doesn't budge, nothing changes, DIY fluoride. But if the dentist is willing to drop the price to something reasonable to you, then it's worth considering.

I mean, I'm not going to go into ethics or anything, but I'm going to assume that some dentists would say, "I'll chuck it in for free!" then bump something else up by the same amount and benefits rubber stamps the claim. They're not supposed to do things that way, but I know that there's plenty of dentists that push the envelope in terms of what they can charge to benefits for work done without getting the individual in trouble.

Last edited by DoubleF; 02-14-2019 at 03:27 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:47 PM   #10
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayne008 View Post
It is not that you use fluoride, but how much, for how long, and how often that matters.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:35 AM   #11
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Have you tried negotiating with the dentist? Some dentists have an individual out of pocket rate and a rate when charging to benefits. If the dentist doesn't budge, nothing changes, DIY fluoride. But if the dentist is willing to drop the price to something reasonable to you, then it's worth considering.

I mean, I'm not going to go into ethics or anything, but I'm going to assume that some dentists would say, "I'll chuck it in for free!" then bump something else up by the same amount and benefits rubber stamps the claim. They're not supposed to do things that way, but I know that there's plenty of dentists that push the envelope in terms of what they can charge to benefits for work done without getting the individual in trouble.
you're not going to go into ethics, but instead just do a quick smear of the profession. nice.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:55 AM   #12
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Are you nuts? That's how the gov't controls your mind!
Hes an Anti-Dentite! Get him!

And hes close to zeroing in on my Mind Control scam!

Was that last part out loud or in my head?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #13
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
you're not going to go into ethics, but instead just do a quick smear of the profession. nice.
It didn't seem that way to me.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:48 AM   #14
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
All professions should be scrutinized. Dentists seem to get away with a lot at times considering it's a business.

He didn't say it judgingly.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:51 AM   #15
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
It is not that you use fluoride, but how much, for how long, and how often that matters.
So... Much like Tylenol?
I would think instructions on a box would suffice.
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:13 AM   #16
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That comment was more along the lines of how the benefits paperwork might be filled out. I wasn't trying to smear the profession. It was more a comment about the individual who is filling in the information and whether someone might be comfortable with it.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:19 AM   #17
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
All professions should be scrutinized. Dentists seem to get away with a lot at times considering it's a business.

He didn't say it judgingly.
perhaps, you're right.
but to me it did come across as a cheap shot towards dentists to say plenty of them intentionally game the system to pad their billing.
especially by prefacing it by saying I don't want to talk about ethics, but...

like any other profession, there are bad apples, but it's not standard practice for dentists to pad billing to scam more money from benefit coverages.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:28 AM   #18
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
perhaps, you're right.
but to me it did come across as a cheap shot towards dentists to say plenty of them intentionally game the system to pad their billing.

like any other profession, there are bad apples, but it's not standard practice for dentists to pad billing to scam more money from benefit coverages.
That wasn't my intention, but I can see how it could have been interpreted that way.

My apologies. I wasn't making a swipe at the dental profession, and I could have worded things better.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:31 AM   #19
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Hes an Anti-Dentite! Get him!

And hes close to zeroing in on my Mind Control scam!

Was that last part out loud or in my head?

You have stopped using apostrophe's on your posts. I always think you are talking about me.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:33 AM   #20
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
perhaps, you're right.

I've briefly complained generally about poor practice from healthcare practitioners in Canada and I would wager to bet that dentists are among the worst.

I don't believe many are malicious (and I could never prove it even if I did) but many dentists' practice involve things such as over treatment and over assessment (ie xrays) that go directly against scientific evidence.

This is all off topic, however, because I feel like a dentist helping me get something covered is being a patient advocate.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote