Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-20-2018, 02:01 PM   #701
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Are you just gonna post UCP advertising materials here for the next 8 months every day?
It was less than a month ago...
Old 11-20-2018, 02:04 PM   #702
Stormageddon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
I’m with Dion. Even as a life long conservative, these UCP ads are abhorrent. Kenney’s brand of politics needs to die a quick and decisive death. It is not the future I want for my children.

Is difficult being stuck between a rock and a hard place. Kenney’s brand of politics and the less bad (note, not everything’s great) economic future with the UCP.
How dare you besmirch Jason Kenney! He would never stoop to these partisan games!
Stormageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:05 PM   #703
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’m with Dion. Even as a life long conservative, these UCP ads are abhorrent. Kenney’s brand of politics needs to die a quick and decisive death. It is not the future I want for my children.

Is difficult being stuck between a rock and a hard place. Kenney’s brand of politics and the less bad (note, not everything’s great) economic future with the UCP.
I don't think you know which team Dion plays for. Just look at his posts in here and his feigned outrage... I can't believe i have to vote NDP for the first time in my life next year. FU Wildrose Kenney!
Old 11-20-2018, 02:07 PM   #704
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I don't think you know which team Dion plays for. Just look at his posts in here. I can't believe i have to vote NDP for the first time in my life next year. FU Wildrose Kenney!
Having a bad day Johnny?
Old 11-20-2018, 02:08 PM   #705
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think you know which team Dion plays for. Just look at his posts in here. I can't believe i have to vote NDP for the first time in my life next year. FU Wildrose Kenney!
Spoiler alert: You don't.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:09 PM   #706
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Upon reflection and some excellent pointers via PM, you and others in this thread raise some good points that I will try to follow in the future.

My apologies to all for getting so defensive
Not as bad as this guy... haha
Old 11-20-2018, 02:10 PM   #707
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Not as bad as this guy... haha
Hope you feel better soon
Old 11-20-2018, 02:10 PM   #708
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
Spoiler alert: You don't.
Well the Alberta Party has ZERO chance of upending Wildrose Kenney. What other choice is there?
Old 11-20-2018, 02:12 PM   #709
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because i'm not posting crap like this on here. No commentary. No points. He got called out once for it already. Back to the same old same old.
He posted a picture of a billboard that he had nothing to do with, so you call him a simpleton?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:13 PM   #710
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because i'm not posting crap like this on here. No commentary. No points. He got called out once for it already. Back to the same old same old.
I don’t know which is worse, posting it or reposting it while complaining about someone else posting it.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:17 PM   #711
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Well the Alberta Party has ZERO chance of upending Wildrose Kenney. What other choice is there?
If you like the NDP's platform and how they've governed over their term, then fill your boots.

Doing it "cuz Kenny bad" and "muh feelz" shouldn't be why you're doing it though.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank MetaMusil For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 02:21 PM   #712
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Which is frustrating since a lot of people seem to be drinking the UPC coolaid and think all will be good again once the NDP get booted out (which they will). Cut the carbon tax and a bunch of other unspecified spending and viola we're back to the good old days. It won't be that easy and there is a lot of pain coming before it gets any better. It's easy to call for spending cuts until you see the result and feel the effect.

I'm not saying they are not needed, it just blows my mind how many people seem to think everything will magically turn around the day after the UCP come to power.

I have my doubts that its just going to be a tax cut without a substitute, the deficit that we're running, especially on the day to day operations is daunting.

If Kenney comes out and says at this point, we're murdering the carbon tax and putting in a PST, that would be my preference.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:26 PM   #713
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
If you like the NDP's platform and how they've governed over their term, then fill your boots.

Doing it "cuz Kenny bad" and "muh feelz" shouldn't be why you're doing it though.
This is something I find people struggle with.

You have to vote 'for' something.

Negative voting doesnt work. Its what ingrained the 'anti-vote' and got us Trump, Notley and Trudeau because nobody wanted these particular people or their platforms they just wanted 'anyone but Clinton, PCs or Harper.'

And thats been working out so well thus far.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 02:47 PM   #714
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Cenovus and MEG can buzz off with this call for Provincial mandaded production curtailments. Sorry guys, you went all in on a bitumen only strategy which relied on pipelines getting built to the USGC as if the high oil price party was never going to end. You can’t privatise the gains and socialize the losses throughout the industry. Shut in, lean out, rework your strategy, and emerge stronger or die. THAT is in Alberta’s best interest. Don’t try to pick the pocket of those who have what has turned out to be a better strategy (Husky, Imperial, Suncor, and kind of CNRL.
I normally agree with your posts, as they are well-thought and well-presented. This one I disagree with. The argument would have been stronger only if the producers owned the basic asset - oil. In that case, their investments decisions on paying the price for that asset would be theirs to bear. It isn't though. Oil belong to the people of Alberta. Producers are simply licensed to extract and sell it. Market intervention is justifiable in this case, if the current prices make royalty returns unfeasible or unattractive for the people. Steve Laut of CNRL spoke very well about it this morning on BNN Bloomberg.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 02:51 PM   #715
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
This is something I find people struggle with.

You have to vote 'for' something.

Negative voting doesnt work. Its what ingrained the 'anti-vote' and got us Trump, Notley and Trudeau because nobody wanted these particular people or their platforms they just wanted 'anyone but Clinton, PCs or Harper.'

And thats been working out so well thus far.
And yet, there are many champing at the bit to vote for the UCP, yet not a platform in sight to vote for.

So while I agree with what you’re saying in spirit, unfortunately, this same attitude is exactly what’s going to give us a UCP government, so I don’t see an end in sight.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 03:21 PM   #716
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me I'm most interested in someone escalating the dispute with the Federal Government, BC and Montreal's mayors to advance Alberta's rights.

We're desperately missing that right now. Notley's words are strong and a stiff message to many within her own party, but I think things need to go much further.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #717
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
For me I'm most interested in someone escalating the dispute with the Federal Government, BC and Montreal's mayors to advance Alberta's rights.

We're desperately missing that right now. Notley's words are strong and a stiff message to many within her own party, but I think things need to go much further.
Ultimately when they write the book about the Notley Government it'll be titled 'Too Little Too Late.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:51 PM   #718
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Almost indefensible in my view: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...l-27-1.4913685
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:52 PM   #719
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
I normally agree with your posts, as they are well-thought and well-presented. This one I disagree with. The argument would have been stronger only if the producers owned the basic asset - oil. In that case, their investments decisions on paying the price for that asset would be theirs to bear. It isn't though. Oil belong to the people of Alberta. Producers are simply licensed to extract and sell it. Market intervention is justifiable in this case, if the current prices make royalty returns unfeasible or unattractive for the people. Steve Laut of CNRL spoke very well about it this morning on BNN Bloomberg.
Thanks, Cap. My problem with it is the signal it sends to the markets. This punishes good decision making which disincentivizes capital investment in this industry even further. As if that wasn’t already a problem. That will hurt royalties and economic prosperity in the long run far more than near term price differentials.

I’ll try to dig up Laut’s interview though.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:58 PM   #720
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Absolutely ridiculous. And not at all surprising.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote