Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2019, 10:19 AM   #2741
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
If they're in architecture / engineering / construction, absolutely tell them to get in on that.
Oh yes just booming.

Still waiting for any data to back up your crowing.... Meanwhile in the real world:

Quote:
Edmonton’s employment down as construction sector
slows

March 8, 2019
Employment in the Edmonton Census Metropolitan Area (CMA) fell by about 2,500 positions in February 2019 from January. The loss was concentrated in full-time positions as part-time employment saw a modest gain. Job gains in the health care and education sectors were more than offset by losses in the construction, financial services, and professional services sectors.
Edmonton’s unemployment rate moved up to seven per cent in February 2019 from 6.4 per cent in January
https://www.edmonton.ca/business_eco...rce_Survey.pdf
crazy_eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:22 AM   #2742
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
That's me. They've lost my vote to the Alberta Party unless they decide to elect a new leader before the election. I'm neutral on my local UCP candidate so it comes down to the rest of the party now, which is a big no thanks with Kenney
with every week that goes by, any thought I had of voting UCP is further in the rearview mirror. all of it their own doing.
no way in heck I'm voting NDP or the freedom party, so I do have limited options now.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:23 AM   #2743
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_eoj View Post
Are you going to respond to my question from yesterday where I provided data that shows positive GDP growth in Edmonton year-to-year after you claimed the economy is shrinking - period?

You also conveniently forgot this paragraph from this same link:

Slower activity in both residential and non-residential construction is now beginning to impact employment in the region. Unfortunately recent building permit data indicate the construction sector will remain sluggish over the coming months. Despite the month-over-month decline in February 2019, the level of full-time employment in the Edmonton region was still higher on a year-over-year basis. Growth in average weekly wages continues to build momentum, picking up to a respectable 2.2 per cent on a year–over-year basis in February 2019. With consumerbased inflation expected to slowly rise to the two per cent range in the coming months in the Edmonton region, this means the average employed person will see modest gains in their real spending power, which could sustain consumer spending in 2019.

For the first half of 2019, employment in Edmonton should see renewed growth in the manufacturing, health care and education sectors. However, the unemployment rate is unlikely to move much lower than 6.5 per cent as individuals who were discouraged by less favourable employment conditions in early 2018 return to the active labour force. As well, with Edmonton’s unemployment rate still slightly below the provincial average, migration into Edmonton from other parts of Alberta should increase, boosting the growth rate of the working age population and active labour force.

Growth in the working-age population, up by 1.9 per cent from February 2018 to February 2019, will be a key factor in addressing labour and skill shortages that may emerge in Edmonton as the local economy continues to recover and the labour market tightens.

I wonder how much that has to do with the Ice District - Edmonton's largest project wrapping up.

Last edited by Ozy_Flame; 03-15-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:28 AM   #2744
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Where are you getting these numbers that its economy is shrinking? Source?

I'm finding information that Edmonton's GDP shrunk in 2016, but was back to real growth in 2017, 2018, and projected for 2019. Before that the GDP was growing the five previous years (2011-2015).

Sorry, I am not buying the economy shrinkage argument. Public sector shift? Perhaps, yes, but to contextualize that its shrinking is dangerous and false.
https://dashboard.edmonton.ca/stat/g...ibg2/gz4x-4u9a

GDP fell both 2015 and 2016. Modest growth in 2017 but still below total output in 2014 hence the comments.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:33 AM   #2745
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
https://dashboard.edmonton.ca/stat/g...ibg2/gz4x-4u9a

GDP fell both 2015 and 2016. Modest growth in 2017 but still below total output in 2014 hence the comments.
GDP fell only in 2016. CMA is not City, that is the metro region.

And net GDP growth is still larger since the recession hit in 2014. 2017-2019 growth is indicative of that.

The economy is growing in Edmonton, despite what you are conveying.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:36 AM   #2746
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

I do not envy anyone running for a high up position in politics.

Someone could shout from across the room "are you going to proceed with the Springbank dam" and you could reply "I am not sure right now, have to look more into it" or any variation of such and the next day, any paper that opposes you will have a headline along the lines up "Mr/Ms XYZ hasn't decided if he will risk your home to flood"

I don't just mean for Kenney but Notley, Ford, etc.

IMO, anyone voting for the Freedom Party is really just voting 0.75 NDP and 0.25 UCP. I am sure this won't be a popular thought but I don't see how it isn't true.

Edit: ... not implying there is anything wrong with voting NDP if that is who you vote for. I was more so implying how that vote plays out in terms of leadership and my opinion.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com

Last edited by Travis Munroe; 03-15-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:39 AM   #2747
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Sounds like something Trudeau says every time he is asked a question!
Why don't you just come out and say it. I'm an open minded kind of guy and I'll vote for anyone, as long as they are not a Liberal, NDP, or Alberta Party candidate.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:41 AM   #2748
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh yes just booming.

Still waiting for any data to back up your crowing.... Meanwhile in the real world:

https://www.edmonton.ca/business_eco...rce_Survey.pdf
Sorry son, dont need to; I'm actually in the industry, not a stat on a website. The amount of public, residential and institutional projects planned is more than Calgary right now (by the way, that Infrastructure map does not include planned, private projects), which was my original point. And, with the Metro Line and Valley Line LRT projects coming online soon, including all the residential, affordable housing, arena, stadium and recreation centre and post-secondary work, Edmonton is building more than Calgary right now and in the forseeable future. Disagree with me all you want from behind your keyboard, I'm actually in the trenches.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 10:42 AM   #2749
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Very odd that the same people calling for Trudeau’s head over the SNC scandal are defending Kenney over his potentially criminal scandal.

Partisanship over common sense, I suppose. Let’s turf both these losers. Alberta will be better off.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 10:43 AM   #2750
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
GDP fell only in 2016. CMA is not City, that is the metro region.

And net GDP growth is still larger since the recession hit in 2014. 2017-2019 growth is indicative of that.

The economy is growing in Edmonton, despite what you are conveying.
We can split hairs however you'd like, I assumed the OP was talking about the CMA?
Old 03-15-2019, 10:45 AM   #2751
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Very odd that the same people calling for Trudeau’s head over the SNC scandal are defending Kenney over his potentially criminal scandal.

Partisanship over common sense, I suppose. Let’s turf both these losers. Alberta will be better off.
This is one of those issues where "Both sides, many sides" actually applies perfectly. Doesn't matter who has been in office, in what city, what state/province, what country. Corruption and politics are like white on rice, it's not something one party has a monopoly on.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:48 AM   #2752
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry son, dont need to; I'm actually in the industry, not a stat on a website. The amount of public, residential and institutional projects planned is more than Calgary right now (by the way, that Infrastructure map does not include planned, private projects), which was my original point. And, with the Metro Line and Valley Line LRT projects coming online soon, including all the residential, affordable housing, arena, stadium and recreation centre and post-secondary work, Edmonton is building more than Calgary right now and in the forseeable future. Disagree with me all you want from behind your keyboard, I'm actually in the trenches.
Actually, I think it's pretty clear you can't produce any evidence to back up your observations because they are clearly incorrect. You've been shown incredibly wrong with most of your ideas already so I don't know why anyone would take your opinion seriously.

Meanwhile your small trench doesn't seem to include the hundreds of thousands of other Albertan workers without jobs.

Last edited by crazy_eoj; 03-15-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:51 AM   #2753
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Actually, I think it's pretty clear you can't produce any evidence to back up your observations because they are clearly incorrect. You've been shown incredibly wrong with most of your ideas already so I don't know why anyone would take your opinion seriously.

Meanwhile your small trench doesn't seem to include the hundreds of thousands of other Albertan workers without works.
Honestly dude, you sound like a keyboard warrior and not someone actually in the industry. If you want to see the amount of RFPs out right now in Edmonton, hop onto APC, MERX, or register for their Ariba system. It's quite easy, and you can even do it yourself.

Meanwhile, keep making assumptions about industries you obviously don't know anything about and what's actually happening in them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 10:59 AM   #2754
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Honestly dude, you sound like a keyboard warrior and not someone actually in the industry. If you want to see the amount of RFPs out right now in Edmonton, hop onto APC, MERX, or register for their Ariba system. It's quite easy, and you can even do it yourself.

Meanwhile, keep making assumptions about industries you obviously don't know anything about and what'a actually happening in them.
Sure, go ahead and produce these reports for us. As I've mentioned numerous times it would be great to see them. Or anything at all to prove something you stated.

Just so you are aware, you come across as a worker who has their hands in the NDP pocket and is somehow proud of it while everyone around them is going broke.

I'm not making any assumptions whatsover, I've provided reports, links and statistics to back up my thoughts. One of us is dealing with real numbers, and the other one... well... don't bite the hand that feeds you I guess?
Old 03-15-2019, 11:00 AM   #2755
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
I do not envy anyone running for a high up position in politics.

Someone could shout from across the room "are you going to proceed with the Springbank dam" and you could reply "I am not sure right now, have to look more into it" or any variation of such and the next day, any paper that opposes you will have a headline along the lines up "Mr/Ms XYZ hasn't decided if he will risk your home to flood"

I don't just mean for Kenney but Notley, Ford, etc.
This is fair to a point, especially with developing issues.

But as a candidate running for a high up position in politics, and someone who's already established as the leader of a major political party, it's a cop-out for Kenny and team not to have a position. Candidates are expected to have an opinion, and the Springbank Dam proposal didn't just magically appear overnight.
Flames0910 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:10 AM   #2756
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, go ahead and produce these reports for us. As I've mentioned numerous times it would be great to see them. Or anything at all to prove something you stated.

Just so you are aware, you come across as a worker who has their hands in the NDP pocket and is somehow proud of it while everyone around them is going broke.

I'm not making any assumptions whatsover, I've provided reports, links and statistics to back up my thoughts. One of us is dealing with real numbers, and the other one... well... don't bite the hand that feeds you I guess?
It is now completely obvious you aren't in these industries, and have no actual knowledge of them ground in day-to-day realities. Go to those websites and database systems I've listed for you, and look directly for yourself. The answers you seek are there. I don't have time to compile that mass amount of information, but you're absolutely welcome to. It's free for anyone to access, you just have to know how to register and navigate them.

And just so you're aware, I am in the private sector and work on projects of all types funded by sources from all sectors. I am not an NDP supporter. I am also not in O+G, but I made that choice consciously and got ridiculed for it relentlessly during the boom times. Just because I am employed does not mean I enjoy the suffering of others, and shame on you for suggesting that. Many people I know are unemployed and it's not fun to see, so get a ####ing clue.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:15 AM   #2757
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It is now completely obvious you aren't in these industries, and have no actual knowledge of them ground in day-to-day realities. Go to those websites and database systems I've listed for you, and look directly for yourself. The answers you seek are there. I don't have time to compile that mass amount of information, but you're absolutely welcome to. It's free for anyone to access, you just have to know how to register and navigate them.

And just so you're aware, I am in the private sector and work on projects of all types funded by sources from all sectors. I am not an NDP supporter. I am also not in O+G, but I made that choice consciously and got ridiculed for it relentlessly during the boom times. Just because I am employed does not mean I enjoy the suffering of others, and shame on you for suggesting that. Many people I know are unemployed and it's not fun to see, so get a ####ing clue.
Sorry it's not my job to back up YOUR statements. I've been quite clear all along I would love to see any examples of fact to reinforce your anecdotes.

If you want people to take your opinions seriously, it would be great to see some real research. Until then, most of what others have posted only disprove what you've stated.

I'm glad to hear you're not an NDP supporter. But your arguments and lack of any evidence seem to paint you as one.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:19 AM   #2758
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
If you want people to take your opinions seriously, it would be great to see some real research. Until then, most of what others have posted only disprove what you've stated.
I disproved what you stated about Edmonton's economy shrinking using real research. Come on man, practice what you preach.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:19 AM   #2759
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry it's not my job to back up YOUR statements. I've been quite clear all along I would love to see any examples of fact to reinforce your anecdotes.

I'm glad to hear you're not an NDP supporter. But your arguments and lack of any evidence seem to paint you as one.
You're like a petulant child. If you want answers so bad, go to those websites and stop being lazy. I simply don't have time to compile that data right now. APC, MERX, CoolConnect, Ariba. The answers are ALL THERE. Have at 'er.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #2760
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I disproved what you stated about Edmonton's economy shrinking using real research. Come on man, practice what you preach.
You didn't disprove anything? I clarified exactly what I meant and provided the statistics to back it up.