Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2019, 07:10 AM   #1
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:
Default My Guys take Dach at #3...a Question

I don't really have an opportunity to follow much of what happens in the WHL. Have any of you guys/gals seen Dach in action? I can see his stats, but, I'd appreciate any impressions from any that have actually seen him in action. What, exactly can be expected from the guy? I see some reports project him as a #1C, but, we've had a couple of misses at #3 overall (Cam Barker comes to mind), and I trust the word of other fans, over press hype.

Thanks in advance for any insight,
Old 06-23-2019, 07:44 AM   #2
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I'm no scout but the couple times I saw him I thought he was great. 2nd line center at worst just from the eyeball test but I do think he has the tools to be a number one.

I'd say it's a matter of how much of a pro mindset the kid has and how well he develops from here. These aren't question marks for me because I don't know a thing about him aside from watching him and seeing a guy who was big, could skate, was making plays and nice passes and had a very good shot. I honestly ignored this draft for the most part and didn't watch or read a thing about it.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 09:37 AM   #3
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefoss1957 View Post
I don't really have an opportunity to follow much of what happens in the WHL. Have any of you guys/gals seen Dach in action? I can see his stats, but, I'd appreciate any impressions from any that have actually seen him in action. What, exactly can be expected from the guy? I see some reports project him as a #1C, but, we've had a couple of misses at #3 overall (Cam Barker comes to mind), and I trust the word of other fans, over press hype.

Thanks in advance for any insight,

Weren’t Dennis Savard and Jonathan Toews #3 draft picks who fell into your laps?

You can cry us a river LOL, with the odd miss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 10:35 AM   #4
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Must be nice to pick in the top 3. Calgary never has.
That said that's a nice implied compliment asking this fan base opinion. -so thanks for that.
(I haven't watched him so can't help though)
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:19 AM   #5
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I only watched him at the Hlinka last summer. I was expecting more from him then, but it was Cozens and Josh Williams (undrafted, so I hope he gets invited to camp) that stole the show.

Dach is big but doesn’t seem to be mean, is an excellent, top tier passer, but focuses more on slowing down the game than speeding it up which is why I was surprised to see him go at 3. His stat line from the W this year is very mediocre for someone with his size and talent level, which does lead to potential concern. Usually a guy who goes 3rd overall not only dominates scoring in his own league but also among his own team, and he did neither. But he has the size and the skills to be a solid player, it just might take a little while (think Scheifele or Couturier) for it to become obvious.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:52 AM   #6
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've seen him a couple times. Great vision and hands. Big body but not overly physical. Not much snarl in him that I saw.

Personally was surprised they didn't take Byram there.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:01 PM   #7
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

From what I have read after the pick, because I was surprised as well it wasnt byram, or if a forward then turcotte

Dach seems to have a higher ceiling than turcotte or cozens or zegras, because of his size

Right now his skating isnt at a great level, and while scouts loved his hands, playmaking, shot etc. He didnt produce a ton last year

So it's more of a risk than taking turcotte, who has a much higher floor, but his ceiling is a tiny bit lower, due to size.

The comparable if he can reach his ceiling I've seen from a few scouts is Getzlaf, someone who has a ton of skill, and can also take over a game physically.

Seems to me they must have had a scout or multiple scouts who just loved his game, and were willing to take the risk
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote