Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2019, 12:11 PM   #121
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Scott Powers woof! Carlson first is bad in itself but he actually thought Karlsson was better than Burns last year which is like saying Brodie was better than Gio for the Flames. This guy should have his voting privileges revoked.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:41 PM   #122
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Incidentally, I just realized that Jason Botchford passed away in May at the age of 48. I'm sure it was posted here, but I just noticed it while reading up on some Gio news from around the web.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:56 PM   #123
SirPsychoSexy
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Scott Powers' selections reek of "smartest-guy-in-the-room" syndrome.
SirPsychoSexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:57 PM   #124
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
These Athletic guys are not very bright.

Carlson is a poor choice, if they even skimmed through enough of Gio's games, they'd see he clearly had the better season. Hopefully those writers are mainly covering eastern teams cause they obviously don't watch the west.

It was a landslide otherwise though so no big deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Scott Powers woof! Carlson first is bad in itself but he actually thought Karlsson was better than Burns last year which is like saying Brodie was better than Gio for the Flames. This guy should have his voting privileges revoked.
I'm betting his rationale is something like "Burns isn't even really a defenceman".
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:09 PM   #125
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
It is interesting to me that you are not only willing to give Giordano a pass for his playoff performance, but to go one step further and laud him as an example for other players to follow, considering that he was equally bad as most of the Flames's glaringly ineffective top players.

I am not in any way disparaging Giordano. (I have long been on record that this year's playoff debacle was the result of various random, correctable factors, and I expect much better next year.) Rather, I am pointing out the peculiar discrepancy in how some posters choose to evaluate certain players over others.

Anyhow, Giordano is awesome.
Sorry, I was not trying to defend Giordano's playoff performance this year in games 2-5, but moreover wanting to point out how truly awesome he is on the vast majority of his shifts let alone his games played.

I think Giordano would be the first player to admit his play was not where he wanted it to be in this season's playoffs.

That being said poor play has a way of rubbing off in an infectious way to other players and I would put his playoff performance 4th if I had to rank him against Hamonic, Hanifin, and Brodie.

Giordano is a warrior and I hope he never wears another jersey in his career.

He seemed genuinely proud during his Norris Trophy acceptance speech to say thank you to the Calgary Flames organization and being the only team he's every played for.

Giordano IS awesome!
iamca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:14 PM   #126
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamca View Post
Sorry, I was not trying to defend Giordano's playoff performance this year in games 2-5, but moreover wanting to point out how truly awesome he is on the vast majority of his shifts let alone his games played.

I think Giordano would be the first player to admit his play was not where he wanted it to be in this season's playoffs.

That being said poor play has a way of rubbing off in an infectious way to other players and I would put his playoff performance 4th if I had to rank him against Hamonic, Hanifin, and Brodie.

Giordano is a warrior and I hope he never wears another jersey in his career.

He seemed genuinely proud during his Norris Trophy acceptance speech to say thank you to the Calgary Flames organization and being the only team he's every played for.

Giordano IS awesome!
I'm sorry, do you think Gio was worse than Hanifin and Hanonic? It was an endless fire drill all series whenever those two were out there.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire of the Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2019, 01:36 PM   #127
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Botchford is Vancouver and Glennon is Nashville. They each saw more of Gio than Carlson, in all likelihood
Well, that's a headscratcher.

Last edited by djsFlames; 06-20-2019 at 01:59 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:42 PM   #128
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
I'm sorry, do you think Gio was worse than Hanifin and Hanonic? It was an endless fire drill all series whenever those two were out there.
This order was from worst to best in our top 4 during the first round, so I was saying no free pass, but much better than Hamonic, Hanifin, and Brodie.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2019, 01:42 PM   #129
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

How does someone win the Norris voting so convincingly along with make 1st team all-star but not make the all-star game? Something is wrong there.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:55 PM   #130
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The most puzzling thing about this, is Erik Karlson getting any votes after the season he had.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:56 PM   #131
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
How does someone win the Norris voting so convincingly along with make 1st team all-star but not make the all-star game? Something is wrong there.
Because people in Edmonton had a say
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:58 PM   #132
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Man, this is a pretty big deal and so far is flying under the radar a bit around town.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:04 PM   #133
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The all-star game is basically fan appreciation. They send marketable stars with fancy moves, and they try to limit it to one player per team. Johnny is the obvious choice because of his dangles.

The end of year all-star team is the recognition that matters.

But I concede that it's silly he wins the Norris in a landslide but doesn't make the ASG.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:41 AM   #134
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The NHL was pandering to the hometown crowd in San Jose. Karlsson shouldn’t have been there.

Then they let the fans pick the last spot, and since fans as a whole are generally morons they voted in Draisaitl instead of Gio.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:46 AM   #135
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Man, this is a pretty big deal and so far is flying under the radar a bit around town.
Really poor playoff performance from the Flames will do that.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:55 AM   #136
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
The NHL was pandering to the hometown crowd in San Jose. Karlsson shouldn’t have been there.

Then they let the fans pick the last spot, and since fans as a whole are generally morons they voted in Draisaitl instead of Gio.
Yup, and Doughty was there ahead of Gio because they needed someone from the Kings.

The stupid thing is that not only did they not need to put Karlsson in the game to pander to the hometown fans because there were already 2 Sharks in the game, but Karlsson was hurt at the time and easily could have backed out to let Gio have the spot. Karlsson didn't play in a regular game for a full month from January 16 to February 16, but decided to play in the All-Star Game.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:06 AM   #137
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Congrats to Gio, what an impressive accomplishment
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:40 AM   #138
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
It was a fire drill no matter who was out there.

Hanifin-Hamonic was a great pairing all year long. Hanifin is an absolute stud, and we're lucky to have him at under $5M for the next five years.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:44 PM   #139
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

First time I've smiled re: the Flames this summer.

Thanks for that!

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote