Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-15-2019, 12:40 PM   #161
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
Jankowski: You are 6'4" 220. Maybe throw a shoulder into someone.
I think Peters has already shot a warning over the bow of the Good Ship Jankowski when he praised Mangiapane publicly saying something along the lines of "I'd rather have a guy who is 5'9" who competes than a 6'4" guy who doesn't".

Jankowski needs to throw his weight around. It's the playoffs, he doesn't have to worry about dropping the gloves.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:41 PM   #162
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bennett should welcom Makar to the nhl tonight.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybb79 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 12:43 PM   #163
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
It took Gaudreau 6 pre-season and 10 regular to get acclimeitized so I don’t see Makar making a difference yet.
It would be essentially unheard of if he somehow did.

McAvoy stepped in with Boston a couple of years ago and performed quite well. The Bruins still lost in 6 and I don't think you can say he set the world on fire. He was a useful piece of the puzzle but he was hardly a game changer or anywhere near the best skater on the ice.

As you say, a gifted forward like Guadreau took 10-15 games to start hitting his stride. You can probably double that timeline for a gifted defender like Makar to start making more positive contributions than negative on this stage.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:51 PM   #164
FlamesAreOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Brodie on the 3rd pairing tonight.
FlamesAreOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:51 PM   #165
Murph
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post

McAvoy stepped in with Boston a couple of years ago and performed quite well. The Bruins still lost in 6 and I don't think you can say he set the world on fire. He was a useful piece of the puzzle but he was hardly a game changer or anywhere near the best skater on the ice.

As you say, a gifted forward like Guadreau took 10-15 games to start hitting his stride. You can probably double that timeline for a gifted defender like Makar to start making more positive contributions than negative on this stage.
Sven...
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:53 PM   #166
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think Avs top line will play lots against Monahan line or Jankowski line. If the game is not going well today may be we can switch Monahan and Jankowski. Like.
13-77-28
19-11-18
93-23-67
88-10-21
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:57 PM   #167
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm wearing a white vintage Nieuwendyk jersey at work today, I usually go road whites for away games. Can't wait for this one to get started, I think a good gritty, physical road game and away from all the pressure to wheel & deal in front of the home fans will do them good. GFG
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 12:57 PM   #168
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Unfortunately the best centre for Neal is centre ice in the press box. I think his body retired and forgot to tell him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Prime Datsyuk isn’t the right center for James Neal because James Neal is terrible.
Yeah, great, except what I'm trying to do is figure out a solution, not just take a shot.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:58 PM   #169
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I don't think the Flames need Jankowski to go out and suddenly change his game to the point where he's running around trying to hit everything. In fact the more Flames get dragged away from playing the game that they've played so well during the year, the more likely it is that they'll lose. But this is the playoffs, and you need to be hard on the puck, and win your battles, and be smart with the puck.

I think the 3M line needs a bit of a bounce back, and the Flames top players need to do a bit more.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:59 PM   #170
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Yeah, great, except what I'm trying to do is figure out a solution, not just take a shot.
Benching Neal is a very simple and possible solution.

Blaming his center for not carrying him enough isn’t
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #171
1Nite
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
I might be wrong about this since I’ve been wrong about pretty much everything so far these playoffs but Makar will step in and he will be the 3rd or 4th best skater out there tonight on either team.

He is insanely good at hockey and his game will be perfect for the playoffs. Game 2 was a must win for me because I think the addition of another superstar in Makar to the Avs is going to make it pretty hard for the Flames to win 3 out of 5.

Regardless, go Flames. I want a long run!

Who, whoa, kid might become a good player, but he is not Brian Leetch, maybe more like a Adam Fox.
1Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #172
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Benching Neal is a very simple and possible solution.

Blaming his center for not carrying him enough isn’t
I'm not blaming an centre (though I'm actually more frustrated with Jankowski). I'm trying to find an optimal matchup. I don't think Czarnik is any improvement and probably a downgrade for the POs.

Jankowski is more frustrating to me because I know he has tools, he's demonstrated them, but just doesn't use them. Neal may well have hit a wall - he wouldn't be the first guy to do so.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:07 PM   #173
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames lost last game because the Avs were a hungrier and/or more desperate squad from top to bottom. They seemed to just want it more. They didn't let up. That was my take anyway. Flames were almost flat-footed at times. Smith had to come up huge a few times too many, IMO. MacKinnon was right in his interview - Colorado should have been up a few in the game. Yet, it still took the Avs until OT to solve Calgary.

I will be expecting a much hungrier Flames team tonight from the drop of the puck, right up until the end of the game. Avs have a top line that can skate with anyone in the league, and play exceedingly high minutes that limits the ability of Calgary's 3M line to contain them. Even then, the 3M line had a lot of difficulty containing that top line, especially when Barrie was on the ice with them (which is often). They are just an elite group of players on the ice that any team has trouble containing.

I just think it will be a different story this time around, and the Flames will do a better job of neutralizing them as a 5-man group. I think we will see another frustrated Avs team, and I hope this time around the Flames truly blow them out and have a statement game.

In my opinion, the Flames are the better team. It is up to them to want it more.

Guys I want to see step-up their play: Monahan, Tkachuk, Lindholm (offensively anyway), Brodie and Jankowski. I couldn't fault anyone else's game, though I don't really expect Neal to provide any scoring at this point, but he made decent plays and had another hard-nosed game. Flames would be deadly if he had some finish, however.

I absolutely love Monahan, but he is sticking out like a sore thumb at the moment. It is imperative that he gets going. Yes, he scored a goal last game, but he has been too quiet. I just find that he is not skating as hard as I would like.

Also, keep picking at Brassard please. He is overly-emotional and a liability for the Avs I think. He will retaliate and keep sending Calgary to the PP. Landeskog will probably start playing on tilt and do the same eventually, but Brassard is easy pickings in that area it seems.

Colorado is proving themselves to be a tougher opponent than they seemed. They have a deadly-quick transition that is catching Calgary (thank goodness for Mike Smith!) off-guard. This is what I was most worried about to start the series. There is more talent on that Avs roster than people thought. They are a fun to watch team for that reason. Calgary is just a better and deeper team, however, even if MacKinnon is one of the best players in the NHL. Flames need to attack more and just put in more effort. I really think that the Avs just came out harder and got Calgary on their heels a bit, and they continued to come after Calgary. Calgary needs to transition a bit faster and get them on their heels, and just keep that damn foot pressed down on their throats. Avs will will not only bend, but they will break. It really is up to Calgary to get it done.

Anyone else see Mike Smith playing at this elite level? The biggest question mark on the Flames when trying to decide if they were contenders or not was goaltending, and goaltending has been without a doubt the biggest strength in the playoffs thus far. It is too bad Smith's effort was wasted last game. Flames need to take the game to the Avs. They will win if they do so. I thought they were too passive, and the Avs took advantage.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:07 PM   #174
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Makar was always going to play this series. When you think you have a special player you get him on the ice. It's not that complicated.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:08 PM   #175
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post

Bennett was pretty good stepping into the playoffs as a rookie. But way easier for a winger than a D
edslunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:09 PM   #176
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Why complain about this? It seems weird to criticize a guy for providing mundane information about a Flames practice to a fanbase that is rabid for any information.
Why not?

For a guy who is around the team so much, Wills has remarkably little insight.

People can’t poke a little fun at him?
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:10 PM   #177
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I think Peters has already shot a warning over the bow of the Good Ship Jankowski when he praised Mangiapane publicly saying something along the lines of "I'd rather have a guy who is 5'9" who competes than a 6'4" guy who doesn't".

Jankowski needs to throw his weight around. It's the playoffs, he doesn't have to worry about dropping the gloves.
Agree with this. Jankowski plays like one of the softest 6'4, 230lb players in the league.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:12 PM   #178
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I'm not blaming an centre (though I'm actually more frustrated with Jankowski). I'm trying to find an optimal matchup. I don't think Czarnik is any improvement and probably a downgrade for the POs.

Jankowski is more frustrating to me because I know he has tools, he's demonstrated them, but just doesn't use them. Neal may well have hit a wall - he wouldn't be the first guy to do so.
We are calling Neal a POS now? Ouch.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:12 PM   #179
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Agree with this. Jankowski plays like one of the softest 6'4, 230lb players in the league.
If your not physical, you'd better score, and vice versa. Funny thing is, usually a linemate who's physical will rub off on the others, but it's not happening with him.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:15 PM   #180
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
Sven...
Makar is a defenceman. We are talking defencemen, not forwards.