Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-16-2020, 10:46 AM   #1
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Posture Correctors and Physio Discussion

Hey guys,

I would like to improve my posture for numerous reasons. I notice a slouch from decades of sitting in front of computers and think that addressing this immediately is important.

Are any of you currently focusing on posture improvement? Have you had success in the past?

I see two areas to discuss here:

1) Would posture correctors (products) be worthwhile? There is a flood of designs and companies in this market. I assume that having constant pulling back on your shoulders could help lengthen the front muscles.

2) Do you have simple exercise programs that have worked for you? I am thinking that resistance band programs could be a good start here to build up the rear muscles.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:57 AM   #2
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ha I've been trying to be more mindful of my posture too what I've discovered is at the start my back really didnt like like it at all but lately it has gotten better I usually do a full body workout every 3rd day, I usually do mid rows and lat pulldowns for my back with planks and side planks along with other exercises for my core also be sure to do some shoulder exercises too. I haven't tried posture correctors although I do have one.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2020, 10:58 AM   #3
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going back years but what was suggested to me by a PT was to get my back in a comfortable arch in the morning then have someone apply tape down it which simply served as a reminder whenever I'd slouch when sitting driving, etc...

Bagor is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2020, 10:59 AM   #4
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I found that the posture correctors all dig into the armpits while trying to pull back.

I'm not disciplined enough for remembering to do my exercises, but Jeremy Ether on youtube has a lot of vids ranging from 5mins to 30mins
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jwslam For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2020, 11:01 AM   #5
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I have to sit for longer periods of time, and a few things I found that really helped were consistent stretching of the hip flexors, both dynamic and static stretching, foam rolling the hip flexors and IT band, and foam rolling your upper back your thoracic spine.

Then, using resistance bands to do band pull aparts and face pulls.

2-3x per week, 5-10 min total for just those movements, and I've avoided any chronic issues, and I feel like my posture has improved quite a bit. I do try to work out, play sports, etc as well.

If I don't do those few things for a couple weeks, I really start feeling tightness in my upper back and hips and I start slouching a lot more.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2020, 12:17 PM   #6
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

One small thing I did was change to a stand-up desk. It was a chore at first, but now I stand more than 50% of the day.

Not a magic bullet, but it forces me not to slouch.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 01:04 PM   #7
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Yeah, I don't have great posture.

I do have a posture corrector that after a while I find digs into my armpits. I tend to wear it in situations where I might not be comfortable to help keep good posture when my body might naturally hunch.

Now that I think of it the last few times I wore it, it didn't dig into my armpits so maybe that's a sign of my posture improving? haha.

Another thing I found is if you have a few dress shirts that you only ever wear under sweaters or vests or something, you can sew some darts in the back to keep it tight against your ribs. When you hunch/lean forward you feel the tug of the shirt which causes you to straighten back up.

I'm horrible for doing exercises and I never know if I'm doing them right, so I tend not to do them.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 01:40 PM   #8
Discoste
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I have to sit for longer periods of time, and a few things I found that really helped were consistent stretching of the hip flexors, both dynamic and static stretching, foam rolling the hip flexors and IT band, and foam rolling your upper back your thoracic spine.

2-3x per week, 5-10 min total for just those movements, and I've avoided any chronic issues, and I feel like my posture has improved quite a bit. I do try to work out, play sports, etc as well.

If I don't do those few things for a couple weeks, I really start feeling tightness in my upper back and hips and I start slouching a lot more.
Second this. Could add cable/band rows to the list where you focus on squeezing the shoulder blades together. Free hangs (can add slight sway or swing) opens things up as well.

IMO wouldn't buy posture products. Moving around more often, and switching up positions when seated will progressively help. It basically comes down to not being a fixed position for hours at a time.
Discoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 02:20 PM   #9
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discoste View Post
Second this. Could add cable/band rows to the list where you focus on squeezing the shoulder blades together. Free hangs (can add slight sway or swing) opens things up as well.
IMO wouldn't buy posture products. Moving around more often, and switching up positions when seated will progressively help. It basically comes down to not being a fixed position for hours at a time.
I'll "third" this too... some basic body weight exercies, range of movement, flexibility, and self-awareness will go a long ways. Add a few 10-20lb weights and some kettle bells and it's easy to get a solid 30min work out in at home whilst on some of those working phonecalls (no heavy breathing please).
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 02:23 PM   #10
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

Can you elaborate on the stretches a little? I feel like only my right hip flexor causes me some soreness/stiffness.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 02:27 PM   #11
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I could use a good stretch routine for posture and to open up my ankles and hips. Makes sense to make it a morning routine at the minimum.I can barely lower myself down for squats and deadlifts.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 02:27 PM   #12
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

What finally improved my posture was building up my posterior chain with Kettlebell workouts.

My poor posture was caused by overdevelopment and then over reliance on my anterior muscles, like quads and chest.

Strengthening back and hamstring muscles is kind of weird. These aren't muscles that you have lots of conscious control over. By that, I mean you can't really flex them the same way you can, for example, your pecs, quads, or biceps. You can activate them by, for example, pulling your shoulders back or down, but you can't just make them jump up and down. So when they do engage, it feels like someone pushing you from behind.

It not only helped my posture. It also helped my every day tolerance for things like running, walking, or even sitting. The workload is spread out, which makes me far less likely to become fatgued.

Anyways, kettlebells. I recommend them.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:33 PM   #13
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Can you elaborate on the stretches a little? I feel like only my right hip flexor causes me some soreness/stiffness.
There are a few different ones to try.

https://www.self.com/gallery/hip-str...eeds-slideshow

I do #9 and #3. Then foam roll hips and IT band. Like I said, the key is turning this into a habit that you'll do for the rest of your life. You can also add in some hamstring work, as they tend to get really tight as well and cause lower back soreness/pain.

Biggest thing is just being consistent. Get a yoga mat for in front of the TV, and just do these 2-3x per week while you watch TV. It really doesn't take long.

Most people with lower back pain / soreness that isn't actually the result of a serious problem are more than likely dealing with tight hip flexors and hamstrings. These issues can pretty much be avoided your entire lifelong just by a few simple movements.

Another thing that can really help is this 15 min beginner yoga routine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_xr...ist=WL&index=1

I find it is a lot more challenging and probably shouldn't be listed as something for a 'beginner' but with some practice and consistent effort it can make a massive difference in your well being.

I find that people overthink a lot of these issues and have turned it into who should they visit for another treatment when in fact they can prevent and fix a lot of annoying and chronic issues at home with 3-5 min per day 2-3x per week. It is really all it takes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2020, 07:36 PM   #14
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
I could use a good stretch routine for posture and to open up my ankles and hips. Makes sense to make it a morning routine at the minimum.I can barely lower myself down for squats and deadlifts.
Why not just practice your air squat?

There was a time when I couldn't sit in a squat longer than 5 seconds, but I just kept practicing and adding seconds. Eventually you can easily sit for 60 seconds or even longer, and it takes a lot less work than you think to maintain that.
Old 11-17-2020, 12:26 AM   #15
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't find posture correctors help if you don't know what you're trying to achieve.

For me, I've also been awful for years and I even went to physio for it. The only things from physio that helped was the foam roller techniques for the back.

Stupid little things than can help at first, swap your left and right pockets. This helps if you're sitting on your wallet or have some odd posture to quickly and constantly retrieve your phone from a certain side of a pocket. TBH, the left/right pocket thing is also a funny to suggest to people to see how many times in an hour they'll go to the wrong pocket due to being so programmed to go after their phone.

I also accidentally discovered the way to fix my posture via yoga. It's the only activity where it's blatantly obvious via your pose if one side is stronger than the other. Actively working on balancing the poses on both the left and right side helped a ton if sorting out some of the issues of poor posture by properly focusing on strengthening the muscles on my weaker side so I don't have to overcompensate as much. For me I started noticing results after around 2-3 weeks with like 2-3x 1 hour sessions and this was basic stuff like Vinyasa flows and Forest yoga stuff. I'd even feel uncomfortable sitting in my old postures due to me being able to feel the imbalance.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:41 PM   #16
Ben_in_Canada
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Late to the party, I recently got a posture brace off of Amazon.
https://www.amazon.ca/ESR-Posture-Co.../dp/B07M6P845R

I've found it to be working, is reasonably comfortable and was cheap.
Ben_in_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:26 PM   #17
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have an excellent chiropractor who’s helped me with some issues but not my recent back pain. I’m going to a physical therapist who has given remarkable results (soft-tissue injury). A good therapist sound be able to advise on posture matters.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:45 PM   #18
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do yoga. Specifically, DDPYoga. When I'm doing it regularly my posture is better.

Sit on a properly sized exercise ball when sitting at the computer. My wife is a physio and one time she threw away our chair and replaced it with an exercise ball because I had poor posture.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 07:21 AM   #19
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Join the Army

Works in the short term, fails in the long term.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:43 AM   #20
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kelly Starrett put out a hunchback to human doc. You have to subscribe to his email list to get it though.

https://thereadystate.jetrails.cloud...back-to-human/
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote