Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2020, 03:20 PM   #101
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty sure the Lake Louise idea would’ve had a large majority of the ice be artificial, on top of the natural ice.

Anyways, what about setting somewhere in Kananaskis Country? Not necessarily on a lake (near the village or somewhere else scenic) but I guess the could if they wanted to.

Barrier Lake? Upper and Lower lakes don’t have access in winter by car.

Wherever it is, it saves the Parks Canada red tape.

They have hotels there and ones close by (Calgary and Canmore) for teams and officials.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:29 PM   #102
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Pretty sure the Lake Louise idea would’ve had a large majority of the ice be artificial, on top of the natural ice.

Anyways, what about setting somewhere in Kananaskis Country? Not necessarily on a lake (near the village or somewhere else scenic) but I guess the could if they wanted to.

They have hotels there and ones close by (Calgary and Canmore) for teams and officials.
Unless it is somewhere like the Rideau Canal, which is drained in the fall and freezes from top to bottom in most parts (and is artificially flooded all winter), I think it is just too risky to have it on a natural ice surface like a lake. The weather is just too unpredictable.

It's a shame that the main drag in Banff isn't a little wider. That would be a great backdrop. Unfortunately, the road from building to building is just barely 85 feet.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:29 PM   #103
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the plan is to implement something for Jan 1, clock's gotta be ticking to sort this out
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:32 PM   #104
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I wish the NHL was at the point of having VR broadcasts already. I imagine a future of sports viewing where full 360 degree cameras are set up in the best possible viewing location and then you can view the game together with friends from anywhere in the world as if you were just sitting next to each other there. It would be so cool to then have games in a range of visually amazing places, whether in the mountains, in front of the houses of parliament, on a cruise ship or wherever. It seems like we have the tech to already be there, so I imagine it's just a matter of time until it becomes an option, but I would especially love to watch an outdoor game in VR with my friends in far away places under the current circumstances.

How about we determine if the puck is across the goal line first?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:32 PM   #105
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Understandable decision, but really disappointing - would have been an incredible backdrop for a game.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:34 PM   #106
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I’m completely guessing ... but I don’t think the plan is/was to have the event on an actually natural sheet of water.

It was likely always going to be on a 100% artificial surface. The setting offers the perfect backdrop and illusion.

I clearly have no real idea, though.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:37 PM   #107
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
I’m completely guessing ... but I don’t think the plan is/was to have the event on an actually natural sheet of water.

It was likely always going to be on a 100% artificial surface. The setting offers the perfect backdrop and illusion.

I clearly have no real idea, though.
I am guessing that find a flat enough cleared surface area the right size would be an issue there. I doubt they want to go in and start knocking down trees or leveling the ground.

Are only Canadian sites being considered?
Old 10-23-2020, 03:47 PM   #108
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I am guessing that find a flat enough cleared surface area the right size would be an issue there. I doubt they want to go in and start knocking down trees or leveling the ground.

Are only Canadian sites being considered?
You'd think since they just need enough space for the rink, boards, and to house the refrigeration equipment, and locker rooms, and then mount some cameras...

Provided where they pick is within decent travel distance (<1hr?) to/from player accomodations... options should be plentiful.

It's the perfect opportunity for something like this where you don't need to worry about seating and getting 20k people in/out of the venue.

Which is why I'm surprised this was squashed, must've been a Parks Canada thing.

Canmore maybe for similar backdrop? Anywhere further west (Columbia Valley/etc) is way worse for access by players & media to get to/from there until you get to Kelowna. Which I guess you could do, but, why - no real appeal for that in the winter vs. anyhwere else "near mountains"

I predict they pivot from this to more of a downtown thing (again hard to do normally if you needed seating too), in either Toronto or Montreal.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:07 PM   #109
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
You'd think since they just need enough space for the rink, boards, and to house the refrigeration equipment, and locker rooms, and then mount some cameras...

Provided where they pick is within decent travel distance (<1hr?) to/from player accomodations... options should be plentiful.

It's the perfect opportunity for something like this where you don't need to worry about seating and getting 20k people in/out of the venue.

Which is why I'm surprised this was squashed, must've been a Parks Canada thing.

Canmore maybe for similar backdrop? Anywhere further west (Columbia Valley/etc) is way worse for access by players & media to get to/from there until you get to Kelowna. Which I guess you could do, but, why - no real appeal for that in the winter vs. anyhwere else "near mountains"
- Banff High School field off Banff Ave might work. (site of Snow Job 96... LOL)
- Quarry Lake Park in Canmore (Filming location of Mystery Alaska)
- Morley Flats has been used for a number of movies for the backdrop and has lots of space.
- Kananaskis Golf Course might have the space.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:18 PM   #110
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Why not just Kananaskis Village situated under Mount Kidd?

There is more than enough room.
Kananaskis, AB https://goo.gl/maps/wyTUkpVckeScr1NL6
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:23 PM   #111
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Still can’t believe this has yet to happen.
I don’t know if there’s enough non-hill surface.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:33 PM   #112
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't see why they couldn't make a rink over the Lake Louise chateau parking lot. There's a good half a dozen rinks worth of real estate there.

Safest option is probably the north side of Canmore at a location that overlooks the three sisters.

Last edited by djsFlames; 10-23-2020 at 07:18 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:21 PM   #113
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Why not just Kananaskis Village situated under Mount Kidd?

There is more than enough room.
Kananaskis, AB https://goo.gl/maps/wyTUkpVckeScr1NL6
I would say this would be the next best alternative to LL. The Alberta government would probably be a lot more willing to accommodate than Parks Canada (understanbly) would.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:18 PM   #114
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Plenty of location prospects:

Spoiler!
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 01:22 AM   #115
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh FFS, Friedman suggested the reason had to do with sponsorship issues in a national park.

The World Cup ski races don’t seem to have any such issues.

Incredible.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:00 PM   #116
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

For One Day, the N.H.L. Arena Moved to the Mountains

A glimpse of what it could look like. I hope they figure out a way to play a real game in the mountains

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...LiaCr7MrPz2QUA
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post: