Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2020, 12:26 PM   #561
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
OGS is doing a terrible job. That club spends ~100m a year on players, has some good young talent and they're sitting on 2 wins against Brighton and Newcastle. I guess you can look at the draw against Chelsea as a silver lining, but they're just not playing up to their potential. At some point that falls to the manager.
Right...but United right now remind me of Liverpool circa Brendan Rodgers.

OGS isnt really 'The Manager.' He is the 'First Team Coach.'

He has input on talent acquisition, transfers, etc but he isnt in charge of that stuff, thats all Woodward. They spend like drunken sailors but their spending is bad. Most of their players depreciate after purchase faster than used Chevys.

Which is why I'd be surprised if Poch wants to go to United because thats exactly the same thing that happened to him at Spurs except under Levy instead of Woodward. It just seems lateral.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 01:34 PM   #562
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Right...but United right now remind me of Liverpool circa Brendan Rodgers.

OGS isnt really 'The Manager.' He is the 'First Team Coach.'

He has input on talent acquisition, transfers, etc but he isnt in charge of that stuff, thats all Woodward. They spend like drunken sailors but their spending is bad. Most of their players depreciate after purchase faster than used Chevys.

Which is why I'd be surprised if Poch wants to go to United because thats exactly the same thing that happened to him at Spurs except under Levy instead of Woodward. It just seems lateral.

I wonder if he could end up like Arteta has at Arsenal. Emery was the "head coach" and so was Arteta at the start but they bumped him up to Manager once he got more power.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 01:38 PM   #563
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSpooge View Post
I wonder if he could end up like Arteta has at Arsenal. Emery was the "head coach" and so was Arteta at the start but they bumped him up to Manager once he got more power.
Its interesting seeing the evolution of the position.

For instance, I dont think Jurgen Klopp is 'The Manager' in the Traditional sense of the position. I think he has a lot of influence in the determination of what kinds of players he is looking for, but I think.....and this is coming from a Hockey mentality....that he gives his staff the profile of a player that he wants and they seek that profile out.

And its been working. Its been working well.

I'd love to know the workings of the VVD and Alisson deals.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 02:08 PM   #564
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that sometimes Woodward might take too much of the blame...especially under Mourinho for sure.

Under Mourinho the major purchases were Pogba, Lukaku, Fred, Matic, Mkhitaryan (then flipped for Sanchez), Bailly, Lindelof, Dalot. I have a hard time believing Jose had no say in any of those signings, and Woodward just was signing who he wanted.

So far under OGS they have signed Maguire, Wan-Bissaka, Fernandes, van De Beek, James, and Telles. Really outside of Maguire who was a dire overpayment but who filled a need I don't think any of those are horrible moves.

Personally I don't think OGS is a great manager, especially not at the level of a club like Man U who want domestic and continental success.

I still believe a good manager that actually fits the style and culture of Manchester United is the key, and I think with a manager like Poch who does well to fit his style to the players at his disposal it would work.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2020, 10:45 PM   #565
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
OGS is doing a terrible job. That club spends ~100m a year on players, has some good young talent and they're sitting on 2 wins against Brighton and Newcastle. I guess you can look at the draw against Chelsea as a silver lining, but they're just not playing up to their potential. At some point that falls to the manager.
If he was to leave tomorrow he'd be leaving the club in a lot better shape than when he arrived.

Not a great manager. Far from it. But in the big picture, doing a terrible job? Silly statement.

Pogba is the cancer that needs to be cut out of that club.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2020, 03:46 PM   #566
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ralph Hasenhüttl and Southampton lost 9-0 to Leicester in late October 2019. A year later, they're top of the table (at least for a day). Remarkable.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2020, 03:59 PM   #567
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Ralph Hasenhüttl and Southampton lost 9-0 to Leicester in late October 2019. A year later, they're top of the table (at least for a day). Remarkable.
I'm enjoying it for now because I know it's all going to come crashing down (I mean, it's the Saints we're talking about). My dad (RIP) played for the Southampton academy team back in the day, but never got the call-up to the main squad.
dash_pinched is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2020, 04:24 PM   #568
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s impressive because they’ve shipped out a lot of good players, and yet they’re still obviously competitive. I don’t watch them enough to know whether that’s due to good scouting and bringing replacements or Hasenhuttl? Maybe a bit of column A and B?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 04:46 PM   #569
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It’s impressive because they’ve shipped out a lot of good players, and yet they’re still obviously competitive. I don’t watch them enough to know whether that’s due to good scouting and bringing replacements or Hasenhuttl? Maybe a bit of column A and B?
I think that's it, Ralph has done a fine job in my opinion and the lads have bought in, but Danny Ings (who had a fine season last year and continues to score goals this season) along with James Ward-Prowse have been fantastic this campaign. Good to have the former Southampton academy guy Theo Walcott back on the south coast as well.

A couple of dead ball beauties from JWP and a rocket from Ings below from last week:

dash_pinched is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2020, 05:53 AM   #570
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

way too easy.
Old 11-07-2020, 07:39 AM   #571
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Solskjaer again pulls out a great result when his back is against the wall. Third straight loss for Everton, good to see their bubble burst a bit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2020, 01:12 PM   #572
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pogba can sub out 15 minutes earlier, and I’d be happier.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2020, 03:38 PM   #573
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else see the “offside” on Bamford in the Leeds/Palace match? He points to where he wants the ball, and his arm is judged to be offside. It’s the most ridiculous decision.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 03:47 PM   #574
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone else see the “offside” on Bamford in the Leeds/Palace match? He points to where he wants the ball, and his arm is judged to be offside. It’s the most ridiculous decision.
That is awful. It looks like the line is drawn half way down his arm, but the line is drawn right from the defender’s shoulder.

They need to make some adjustments to how VAR is being implemented.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 08:56 AM   #575
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Four attackers get the start for Klopp today, very aggressive. Bobby or Jota will have to put in a lot of midfield work to make this work.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:13 AM   #576
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Time to chop off all defenders arms I guess.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:25 AM   #577
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

The hilarious difference in how Sterling and Mane, each responded from being touched while on the attack.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:31 AM   #578
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

There definitely should have been a call on the Sterling play, ref missed it for sure.

Decent game, but really tailed off in the second half.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:34 AM   #579
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
Time to chop off all defenders arms I guess.
Lol, when should that ever, NOT be a penalty? Arm extended from body and ball hits it.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:47 PM   #580
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Lol, when should that ever, NOT be a penalty? Arm extended from body and ball hits it.
I take the defenders side on the majority of these calls. I don’t like that defenders are punished just for having arms. It’s impossible to play with arms at your side all game.