Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-30-2020, 12:33 PM   #1341
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Trials for the win. Half of TNGs episodes were trials, either due to Wesley mischief, Data creating a new forms, or Picard presiding over some dispute.
Damn straight, and boy am I glad they're going back to it.
Old 11-30-2020, 12:45 PM   #1342
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don’t forget the Vulcan neck nerve pinch!

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:55 PM   #1343
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They really have to ditch the Burnham for everything nonsense. This episode it revolved around her, the ridiculous story of her being Spocks sister, and her mom. I'm actually surprise dot hear people enjoyed this episode, it felt like one I'd never want to watch ever again.

I think one of the issues around Discovery is that they managed to shrink the galaxy so much. Instant travel makes distances irrelevant. Burnham is tied to every event in the galaxy, so stories feel small. There is no exploration, only visiting places they know, or have a relation to. We've jumped 1000 years in the future, and it's the same old same old. No expansion into new aliens, just a rehash of old grievances. It's weird to give them such a huge new vista, then bundle it all back up.

Also, The Burn..Burnham. Coincidence? probably not. Gotta have her name tied to the biggest even in history, too.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:21 PM   #1344
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think that its an actual interesting story point that the galaxy has actually shrunk and there's no exploration happening, and really the Federation is just trying to survive and are pretty much flailing out desperately to retain their relevance.

Its almost like the Medieval dark ages where very little science happened, and even the tech upgrades they've got are not earth shattering, the personal transporter, the new control systems, the detached nacelles for added maneuverability.

These to me, aren't really anything but minor or cosmetic changes. Think Windows whatever it is vs Windows 1.0.

The only thing that to me is missing and they should have had was the rise of authoritarianism as the Federation declined.

Frankly, you'd think that the race to a new method of travel would actually be a dire threat, if someone like the Klingons or Gorn or Breen figured it out.

I guess my question is, I don't think the Borg used dilithium in their transwarp conduits. They should be all over this. The Dominion is across the galaxy in another Quadrant, would the Burn have effected them?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:30 PM   #1345
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
There was a plot-line in late TNG episodes about warp drive damaging space. Did they fix that somehow with non-damaging engines? I don't remember. If not, that could be motivation for someone to blow-up dilithium and ships travelling at warp.
Intrepid class ships debuted variable geometry nacelles (they sort of fold up right before warp) which allowed them to travel without damaging subspace so much. I think they eventually figured out how to clean up the warp bubble without the shifty nacelles by the time Sovereigns were on active duty.

I still think it's weird that dilithium becoming unavailable completely halted the UFP's ability to travel. alternatives like Romulan artificial singularities might not be as reliable (you might attract non-corporeal aliens looking for a nursery) but you'd think they'd try one of those out. the Burn happened so far in the future from regular Star Trek, you'd think the UFP would have observed or discovered even more different methods of FTL with their own power options.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:34 PM   #1346
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
So I'm really starting to get sick of the Michael Burnham everything show. I was actually hoping she would leave the ship and go off on her own with Book, so that way we could get actually get some screen time and development of the other characters.
This is one of my biggest gripes about this season. There's only been one episode this entire season that wasn't Burnham centric, and in that one she still ended up deus ex machina saving everyone. Like with the other ST at least I could name all of the other bridge crew but with Disco its Burnham is space Jesus and everyone else is a minor support character. Worse part is they writers know it, explicitly stated the viewers complaints in multiple episodes, and just found ways to rub it in our faces on screen, like when they first reached Federation headquarters and were getting debriefed by the Admiral, or when they mentioned Burnham has a saviour complex, etc.

Even if you are on board with the Burnham show you at least have to be annoyed that she's shown basically no character growth on her 3 season arc. She still going to disobey orders whenever she gets the chance and force everyone, on the crew that she supposedly cares about, scrambling to adjust to her rash decisions whenever she feels like like with the recent Ni'Var thing. She also overacts way too much. She's crying or in some sort of emotional crisis of her own doing every single episode. Just getting to be a bit much.

/rant

Last edited by FlameOn; 12-01-2020 at 03:25 PM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2020, 02:40 PM   #1347
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There's been nothing in the last two episodes about what's her implant and her mental issues.

I'm hoping that they haven't just said she's fixed now. But she's kinda faded back to furniture. She could have been a really interesting and developed character.

Her implants are thanks to Michael disobeying commands, but then they had her just forgive that.

Then what looked like either PTSD or she's got control in her implants, then in the last two episodes nothing. If any character should have flipped out about rogue Michael it should have been her. Even Saru isn't getting much development, he's there as a foil to Michael.

Like I said this season has been a lot better, the plot line is stronger, and they have a good mystery. But most of the crew, still feels like furniture.

Old 12-01-2020, 04:16 PM   #1348
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was wondering why I’m looking forward to the new Captain Pike show. Star Trek captains are the initial focus of the series, and then the rest of the bridge or other key crew are brought in to enhance the overall story telling arc. The success of the series is based upon how well the rest of the crew integrates into the story.

I would argue that voyager lost steam when there was nothing new to learn about any of the characters. TOS obviously had some great characters. TNG I would suggest took 2 to 3 years to get going. DS9 built up and brought new characters in. Picard has to work on this. Below decks is well on its way. Enterprise was on its way and was ended too soon. Discovery? I don’t really care about the captain. And burnham is a challenge because every episode revolves around her, with others just bit pieces to advance the burnham show. It is the third season and can anyone really name the entire bridge crew? Put another way, would Picard, Kirk, pike, or any other captain have allowed the near mutiny over dinner?

So, while I’m enjoying discovery and where it is going, how about some of the other characters getting a shot at character development so we can learn what they are good at?

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to McG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2020, 04:19 PM   #1349
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Intrepid class ships debuted variable geometry nacelles (they sort of fold up right before warp) which allowed them to travel without damaging subspace so much. I think they eventually figured out how to clean up the warp bubble without the shifty nacelles by the time Sovereigns were on active duty.

I still think it's weird that dilithium becoming unavailable completely halted the UFP's ability to travel. alternatives like Romulan artificial singularities might not be as reliable (you might attract non-corporeal aliens looking for a nursery) but you'd think they'd try one of those out. the Burn happened so far in the future from regular Star Trek, you'd think the UFP would have observed or discovered even more different methods of FTL with their own power options.
That's a neat trick. Can my next truck fold up its tires before driving to prevent climate change?
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:20 PM   #1350
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd like them to explore Burnham getting locked in a block of carbonite for a season or 2, and seeing how the rest of the crew progresses.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:26 PM   #1351
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
I was wondering why I’m looking forward to the new Captain Pike show. Star Trek captains are the initial focus of the series, and then the rest of the bridge or other key crew are brought in to enhance the overall story telling arc. The success of the series is based upon how well the rest of the crew integrates into the story.

I would argue that voyager lost steam when there was nothing new to learn about any of the characters. TOS obviously had some great characters. TNG I would suggest took 2 to 3 years to get going. DS9 built up and brought new characters in. Picard has to work on this. Below decks is well on its way. Enterprise was on its way and was ended too soon. Discovery? I don’t really care about the captain. And burnham is a challenge because every episode revolves around her, with others just bit pieces to advance the burnham show. It is the third season and can anyone really name the entire bridge crew? Put another way, would Picard, Kirk, pike, or any other captain have allowed the near mutiny over dinner?

So, while I’m enjoying discovery and where it is going, how about some of the other characters getting a shot at character development so we can learn what they are good at?
Lol, I was thinking about that the other day. There's the Oriental looking high five guy. The Navigator who looks like she doesn't know what she's doing and says it a lot. The Blonde lady who I think is there to stare pensively at people. Android woman who snapped her head around in shock a lot of dead. Detmer, who occupies her seat and looks terrified at the concept of being in space. And Tilley who I vacillate between really liking her, and then rolling my eyes at her.

And the barbershop quartet at the back.

From a plot line and story and even a standpoint of production standard. Way better this year, and they haven't done anything bizarre or nutty.

But even Saru as a Captain is really just there to wax poetically and look at Michael with Disapproval. Doug Jones is one of the best actors i in terms of doing masked or made up characters because he does a great job of creating their physicality. But I feel like he's being left behind and is a place holder for Michael to become the Captain.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2020, 01:09 AM   #1352
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Does anyone else think that was the worst episode of the season so far? It just wasnt grabbing me.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:25 AM   #1353
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I didn't feel it, it just felt like they threw a whole bunch of stuff at the story board to see what would stick.

I was happy that they gave another crew member a chance to be heroic. However the premise of we'll attack with the other ship to avoid war seemed to be really dumb, especially since it launched from Discovery and the Chain wouldn't care who attacked.

Saru is well on his way to being a terrible Captain.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2020, 09:29 AM   #1354
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't know what the masses like here, but this sure felt like a traditional star trek episode, and I hated it. They had a problem their scientist have been working on for 100 years, but it took was the federation to tell them to believe in themselves and a little magic tractor beam from a 900-year-old ship to fix it. The fight scene between the British and Spanish brothers could have used a little more two-handed chops or palm punches though. Also, starving? Haven't food replicators been around for like 1000 years at this point?
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:59 AM   #1355
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Does anyone else think that was the worst episode of the season so far? It just wasnt grabbing me.
It wasn't all that great, but it was still better than any episode from the first two seasons (except for Battle at the Binary Stars).
Old 12-05-2020, 11:37 AM   #1356
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just glad there hasn't been a holodeck episode yet.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:02 PM   #1357
Tabaracci_31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Yeah, the last episode was hard for me to get through. Way too much Michael. I really want to like this character and an episode like that totally negated that possibility (IMO). The episodes where she’s been balanced out have been my favourites, even though she inevitably saves the day somehow. At this point, I wonder if they’ll ever dial it back. I feel like there are glimmers of a storyline for Saru struggling along with the Captaincy but we just don’t get the screen time.

I really liked the Culber/Georgiou pairing. Also loving the Stamets and Adira bond. That’s been a strength of this season, IMO- finding these duos of characters who gel together and maybe never got the time together beforehand.
Tabaracci_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:02 PM   #1358
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a bad episode, maybe not the greatest, but not many things to fault it for. I just wish the characters would stop being, well, caricatures of themselves. Georgiou, Stamets, Saru are missing some depth.

Wondering when or if we’ll ever see a Q or Borg appearance.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:21 PM   #1359
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I doubt we'll see Q in this at all, I just don't see a reason to drag it out only to have Burnham either out think him, or become the leader of the continum.

I've thought the Borg should make a appearance, or a resurgent and aggressive Klingon Empire.

Old 12-06-2020, 04:04 PM   #1360
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if we will see a de-canonization of the Q then. As an entity, they’re just a bit too far fetched.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote