Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2020, 09:55 AM   #1081
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Obviously a lot of people care, its an actual issue when people are buying the wrong thing. I like Xbox too but maybe there is a reason they are outsold 2:1
The reason they are outsold 2:1 has nothing to do with naming and everything to do with quality exclusives. Being unable to adequately penetrate the Japanese and Asian markets as well as Sony has, is another big contributor.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:02 AM   #1082
kcin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

If anyone is still looking for an XBOX Series X for Christmas or personal use PM me and I can help you out at cost (including receipt). I bought one the other day on impulse and have decided I don't really need another system to collect dust.
kcin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kcin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 10:30 AM   #1083
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcin View Post
If anyone is still looking for an XBOX Series X for Christmas or personal use PM me and I can help you out at cost (including receipt). I bought one the other day on impulse and have decided I don't really need another system to collect dust.
I know 1_Flames_Fan was looking trying to get one as a gift for their nephew for Christmas.

Last edited by Since1984; 12-04-2020 at 10:33 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 10:51 AM   #1084
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
I know 1_Flames_Fan was looking trying to get one as a gift for their nephew for Christmas.
Thanks very much, I messaged the OP 🙂
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:52 AM   #1085
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Imagine the confusion???? Scorpio, Scarlett, Lockhart.....which ones which!!!!
Yeah, tons of people out there buying Gamecubes when they mean to buy a Switch.

Happens all the time, just like the One X/Series X issue which, you know, is an actual issue.

I know you fanboy a little hard for the XB, but from a marketing perspective there is good scientific reason why certain naming conventions work and others are confusing. As others have said, this is a weird hill to die on.

TL;DR for the following: Sony and Nintendo are smart, Microsoft is dumb, and unclear marketing negatively impacts the average consumer.

Sony goes with the standard numerical system, like Apple, with certain logical conditional attachments. Playstation 2, 3, 4, 5, Pro for more powerful models, slim for smaller models, etc. Apple does this too, with the numbers and Pro, or Max, or Mini, or Plus. Words that mean something, with the only outlier being "SE." They're consistent, so it works. And in Apple's case, when they make a change (swapping out Plus and introducing both Max and Pro) they do it for good reason.

Nintendo tends towards the unique identifiers for consoles. Switch, Wii, Gamecube, N64, DS, etc. They also play around with iterations and logical conditional attachments that mean something, like 3DS (if you guessed it was 3D, you were right!), Gameboy Color (it's Gameboy, but in color!) etc. Their biggest mistake for a completely new console was Wii U. I'm sure by now you're figuring out why.

Microsoft's issue is that they do neither of these things, and they aren't consistent. You have the Xbox, which they decided was the brand name, and then the Xbox 360. So, naturally, people are going to assume some bigger number comes next. But next was the Xbox One. Again, there's opportunity there to go to "Two" right after and start using a numerical system OR continue using unique identifiers and change the name completely, so why is it an issue? Because of the conditional attachments. With X and S, they established two conditional attachments to the name, neither actually easily understood, but explainable. X is "pro" and S is "lite upgrade." Great. Then the next console comes along, so it's either the Two, or it's a fully new name, and that's what they did. But instead of calling it the "Series," it's the "Series X." So, they established X as a conditional attachment to the name, and in the very next release, included it instead as part of the name. And S stayed as a conditional attachment, but instead of meaning "lite upgrade" now means "lite powered and digital-only." Instead of being a lite upgrade over the "Series" which doesn't exist, it's basically a lite upgrade over the One X, but it's a new system, so it's actually a lite downgrade over the Series X, which is not an upgrade over the Series, it's actually what you would consider the Series, and no upgraded/"Pro" model exists.

So, why is it an issue and why does it confuse people (outside of the completely obvious above) when Sony and Nintendo rarely have the same issue? They don't consistently follow the unique naming structure, they don't consistently follow a numerical naming structure, and they don't consistently use the conditional attachments to the name. None of it means anything, from the numbers to the names to the Xs and Ss. They aren't giving people any indication of the difference, and the releases of the One X and Series X are close enough together and the names are close enough to each other that both are reasonable choices to make, and people see "Xbox" and "X" and go "right, that's the one I'm supposed to get?" because "One" and "Series" don't provide any indication of a difference.

People ask for a Playstation, so 4 and 5 are significant identifiers and the numerical system works. People don't ask for a Nintendo, they ask for a Switch, so the unique naming works. People ask for an Xbox, so their completely asinine naming conventions confuse more of the average consumer than they should. Drop the Xbox name and go fully unique (Scorpio, whatever), or move to a logical and consistent naming structure to attach to the Xbox. Microsoft wants both. It's dumb and confuses people. That's just reality, and anyone with a marketing degree which I would hope at least one person at Microsoft has, should know better.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 11:22 AM   #1086
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is it still possible to buy a new XBox One? I bought Forza Horizon 4 at Best Buy but can't find anywhere to buy a console. I've seen some used ones on Kijiji, some for more than I thought they were when new.

I realize I could play it on the Xbox Series X but that's even more expensive and from what I can tell won't be on shelves until the new year.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:24 AM   #1087
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Yeah, tons of people out there buying Gamecubes when they mean to buy a Switch.
Terrible example, Gamecube was never available at the same time as the Switch. Should have went with the Nintendo 3DS to the New 3DS stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Happens all the time, just like the One X/Series X issue which, you know, is an actual issue.

I know you fanboy a little hard for the XB, but from a marketing perspective there is good scientific reason why certain naming conventions work and others are confusing. As others have said, this is a weird hill to die on.

TL;DR for the following: Sony and Nintendo are smart, Microsoft is dumb, and unclear marketing negatively impacts the average consumer.

Sony goes with the standard numerical system, like Apple, with certain logical conditional attachments. Playstation 2, 3, 4, 5, Pro for more powerful models, slim for smaller models, etc. Apple does this too, with the numbers and Pro, or Max, or Mini, or Plus. Words that mean something, with the only outlier being "SE." They're consistent, so it works. And in Apple's case, when they make a change (swapping out Plus and introducing both Max and Pro) they do it for good reason.

Nintendo tends towards the unique identifiers for consoles. Switch, Wii, Gamecube, N64, DS, etc. They also play around with iterations and logical conditional attachments that mean something, like 3DS (if you guessed it was 3D, you were right!), Gameboy Color (it's Gameboy, but in color!) etc. Their biggest mistake for a completely new console was Wii U. I'm sure by now you're figuring out why.

Microsoft's issue is that they do neither of these things, and they aren't consistent. You have the Xbox, which they decided was the brand name, and then the Xbox 360. So, naturally, people are going to assume some bigger number comes next. But next was the Xbox One. Again, there's opportunity there to go to "Two" right after and start using a numerical system OR continue using unique identifiers and change the name completely, so why is it an issue? Because of the conditional attachments. With X and S, they established two conditional attachments to the name, neither actually easily understood, but explainable. X is "pro" and S is "lite upgrade." Great. Then the next console comes along, so it's either the Two, or it's a fully new name, and that's what they did. But instead of calling it the "Series," it's the "Series X." So, they established X as a conditional attachment to the name, and in the very next release, included it instead as part of the name. And S stayed as a conditional attachment, but instead of meaning "lite upgrade" now means "lite powered and digital-only." Instead of being a lite upgrade over the "Series" which doesn't exist, it's basically a lite upgrade over the One X, but it's a new system, so it's actually a lite downgrade over the Series X, which is not an upgrade over the Series, it's actually what you would consider the Series, and no upgraded/"Pro" model exists.

So, why is it an issue and why does it confuse people (outside of the completely obvious above) when Sony and Nintendo rarely have the same issue? They don't consistently follow the unique naming structure, they don't consistently follow a numerical naming structure, and they don't consistently use the conditional attachments to the name. None of it means anything, from the numbers to the names to the Xs and Ss. They aren't giving people any indication of the difference, and the releases of the One X and Series X are close enough together and the names are close enough to each other that both are reasonable choices to make, and people see "Xbox" and "X" and go "right, that's the one I'm supposed to get?" because "One" and "Series" don't provide any indication of a difference.

People ask for a Playstation, so 4 and 5 are significant identifiers and the numerical system works. People don't ask for a Nintendo, they ask for a Switch, so the unique naming works. People ask for an Xbox, so their completely asinine naming conventions confuse more of the average consumer than they should. Drop the Xbox name and go fully unique (Scorpio, whatever), or move to a logical and consistent naming structure to attach to the Xbox. Microsoft wants both. It's dumb and confuses people. That's just reality, and anyone with a marketing degree which I would hope at least one person at Microsoft has, should know better.
I understand exactly what you are all saying. I am sure it hinders Microsoft's sales sightly when a parent goes online, googles "New Xbox" and sees Xbox Series S/X, when that very same parent can google "New Playstation" and see Playstation 5.

When they go to order or buy the Series X and see a One X and think....hmm this has got to be the same thing but cheaper, even though they are different by name. I better get the One X as this is definitely the info I found when I googled "New Xbox" and google told me "Xbox Series S/X".

It must be confusing for the average consumer, that literally does zero research and goes in blindly buying products. I am also sure the whole online only ordering system has really hindered the average consumer. They can't walk in to a store and be like. I want the new "insert console here" and have a salesperson take them directly to said console for purchase or answer any and all questions they have.

When my sisters, Mom, Dad asks for a specific coat, tool, make up or some random #### I have no idea what it is. I research and make sure I am purchasing the correct, expected gift.

Yes, MS is not doing the regular lazy ass consumer any help while Playstation does, as it is very important to Sony. Much more important to Sony than Xbox is to MS.

Last edited by Since1984; 12-04-2020 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:31 AM   #1088
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
Is it still possible to buy a new XBox One? I bought Forza Horizon 4 at Best Buy but can't find anywhere to buy a console. I've seen some used ones on Kijiji, some for more than I thought they were when new.

I realize I could play it on the Xbox Series X but that's even more expensive and from what I can tell won't be on shelves until the new year.

The Xbox One S/X are both discontinued but still available at some retailers.

Last edited by Since1984; 12-04-2020 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:15 PM   #1089
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The Xbox One S/X are both discontinued but still available at some retailers.
Seems like London Drugs and EB Games have the XBOX One but only for in store pickup (no shipping). I don't have a London Drugs and the EB Games here doesn't have any. No stock at BB or Walmart. Anywhere else I should look?

Old 12-04-2020, 03:52 PM   #1090
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Seems like London Drugs and EB Games have the XBOX One but only for in store pickup (no shipping). I don't have a London Drugs and the EB Games here doesn't have any. No stock at BB or Walmart. Anywhere else I should look?
Where are you located?
Old 12-04-2020, 04:51 PM   #1091
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

XXX up once again!

https://www.xbox.com/en-ca/configure...so3cg96w1xjl00
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:07 PM   #1092
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Where are you located?
Halifax

Old 12-04-2020, 06:12 PM   #1093
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Imagine the confusion???? Scorpio, Scarlett, Lockhart.....which ones which!!!!

Except there wouldn't be confusion over those names compared to Xbox's naming scheme, unless I'm missing something as a non gamer?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:15 PM   #1094
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Except there wouldn't be confusion over those names compared to Xbox's naming scheme, unless I'm missing something as a non gamer?
You’re not missing anything. No one would be confused and the current Xbox names are universally panned as terrible and confusing.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:18 PM   #1095
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I was being facetious, because the words Scorpio and Scarlett are so similar.

Much closer than One and Series

Last edited by Since1984; 12-04-2020 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:26 PM   #1096
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default PS5 vs. Switch vs. XBOXSX - THUNDERDOME Version 2.0

It could speak to Microsoft’s closing of the public relations gap to an extent, that the Thunderdome thread has largely become dominated by where to buy the consoles and what they’re called (in contrast to the beginning of last generation, which was marred by Microsoft’s series of handicapping initial decisions with regards to the direction of Xbox One).

Last edited by Max Cow Disease; 12-04-2020 at 09:53 PM.
Max Cow Disease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:58 PM   #1097
CASe333
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
It doesn't seem worth it to buy a xbox one new right now when they will be dirt cheap after Christmas albeit used. Be patient, the used market is going to be flooded by the end of the month.
CASe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:05 PM   #1098
ripTDR
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just picked up a series X. TV does 4K @ 60hz. Can see a noticeable difference over the One. Everything is nice and buttery smooth, really enjoying some of the older titles. SSX 3 was one of my favourites and looks great on the Series X. Will be getting quite a bit of time off for Xmas plus a operation in the new year that will put me out. All this plus covid is giving me a good reason to get my game on!

Question...is it worth it to upgrade my tv to 120hz? I guess it will only take advantage of the games that will support it, but can anyone confirm it's worth it?
ripTDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:37 PM   #1099
CASe333
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripTDR View Post
Question...is it worth it to upgrade my tv to 120hz? I guess it will only take advantage of the games that will support it, but can anyone confirm it's worth it?
I bet you will notice an improvement with a true native 120 hz tv/monitor with new games that take advantage of the series x but whether the subtle difference is worth it is subjective. If your looking to upgrade your TV then I would definitely suggest looking at spending the extra money especially if you get a good deal but xbox one games for the most part won't be noticeable.
CASe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 01:31 PM   #1100
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone in need of 3D Pulse Headphones for the PS5? After a month of waiting, and not being able to cancel, The Source just delivered a pair. Only problem is I found some on Amazon that shipped a lot quicker.

Just the cost of the headphones + tax. If no one needs them I'll return it to the Source.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Meelapo For This Useful Post: