Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2020, 03:26 PM   #81
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
It is worth noting even using his deadname is considered highly offensive and transphobic by some people.
OK, this thread is a whole whirlwind of new information right now. I didn't know concepts like deadname until this thread.

But where did you find the information about using the deadname being offensive? I didn't see mention of that on Elliot's twitter.

If Elliot makes that comment openly about absolutely disliking references to the former name, absolutely fair enough. But I don't see evidence of that and if it's a, "Some people will take offense even if Elliot doesn't" situation, I think that's kind of silly unless there's more to the whole situation than I hadn't understood?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2020, 12:23 PM   #82
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Queer dynamics are evolving very quickly. It is definitely a whirlwind and can be tough to keep up with - especially if you aren't a member of the community. Even as a member of the community, I remind myself that I need to remain open to the fact that what I say today may not end up being the way things are said tomorrow.

An example of this is the phrase "preferred pronoun" was used to describe how someone should be referred to. However, the use of the word "preferred" indicated it was more of a preference and implied it was an option/choice to use it.

Realistically, its only been in the last decade or so where queer issues have really be discussed on a large scale so things have regularly shifted as people are figuring out whether things are working.

Queer folks have been doing a lot of introspection around intersectionality which has guided a lot of changes. Intersectionality is the concept that queerness intersects with race, gender, class, disability, etc and, as a result, the experience that a gay white man has can be quite different from the experience of a black trans man. Identifying that gay white men often have held positions of power within the queer community has left a lot of other members feeling like their voices have not been heard.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2020, 01:21 PM   #83
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
Queer dynamics are evolving very quickly. It is definitely a whirlwind and can be tough to keep up with - especially if you aren't a member of the community. Even as a member of the community, I remind myself that I need to remain open to the fact that what I say today may not end up being the way things are said tomorrow.

An example of this is the phrase "preferred pronoun" was used to describe how someone should be referred to. However, the use of the word "preferred" indicated it was more of a preference and implied it was an option/choice to use it.

Realistically, its only been in the last decade or so where queer issues have really be discussed on a large scale so things have regularly shifted as people are figuring out whether things are working.

Queer folks have been doing a lot of introspection around intersectionality which has guided a lot of changes. Intersectionality is the concept that queerness intersects with race, gender, class, disability, etc and, as a result, the experience that a gay white man has can be quite different from the experience of a black trans man. Identifying that gay white men often have held positions of power within the queer community has left a lot of other members feeling like their voices have not been heard.
The simple fact that people must ask/announce the pronouns that will be used when referring to them makes them preferred. Was Elliot under obligation to use "he"? Did he not have a choice to pick he or they?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 02:18 PM   #84
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
The simple fact that people must ask/announce the pronouns that will be used when referring to them makes them preferred. Was Elliot under obligation to use "he"? Did he not have a choice to pick he or they?
It isn't a choice per se - it's what fits with how Elliot identifies.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote