Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Roger's Handset Protection Guarantee

I noticed that the Rogers Plus near my house now has big posters up touting their new-ish handset protection guarantee. So I picked up a pamphlet and read their web site and it seems really, really, really vague.

Let's say I have a brand new iPhone 4 (I don't, but let's say I do).
Someone breaks into my locker at the gym and runs off with it.

You could say "look it up in mobileme", but that usually isn't enough to give me a street address and if it could be that specific, what if it is an apartment building?

So from what I am reading in the fine print is that they do NOT replace the iPhone, but rather they give you a DISCOUNT on a refurbished phone that may or may not be an iPhone. If I am reading this correctly, they could give me a POS phone to replace my iPhone 4.0? Doesn't seem like much of a service.

I would *PAY* $10/month for insurance on my phone... meaning that if it gets stolen and file a police report that Rogers would replace the phone with an identical iPhone. I did ask my home owners insurance for a special rider but they wouldn't do it....
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Its stupid. my friend got his 3gs replaced with a blackberry pearl :-\

annnd
if you have less then 12 months left on your contract they extend it if you take a phone
Quote:
Replacement option: If you elect to chose a replacement device, a minimum 12-month term commitment remaining in your term at the time of replacement is required. For greater clarity, if you have not subscribed to Rogers services on a term commitment or if the balance of your term commitment is less than 12 months, your term commitment will be extended to 12 months.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silentsim For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the biggest scam. I thought about switching from Bell to Rogers a little while back and saw that promotion, read the fine print and stayed with Bell. If they are that sketchy in their promotions I couldn't imagine their business practices, at least with Bell I'm use to their rip off so I know what to look out for to back myself up.

I know Bell use to offer a $5-7/mth service where it was insurance on your phone but I'm pretty sure it only covers if it is broken, not stolen/lost (I think). Don't think they offer it anymore because of the smartphone craze so it probably became a loss to Bell pretty quickly.

I wonder if you could some how insure it as part of a computer rider and saw it is equipment. With no deductible it might be worth claiming but then you lose your claims free discount so it could end up costing more than it's worth.
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

My mom had this similar plan with Bell with her Blackberry.

Her hardware failed 3 times in the year she had it and they kept saying that it didn't qualify because it was under warranty still, so she always had to send it away to get a replacement. Once the year was up, the phone died again so she called and wanted to get a new phone instead because this model clearly had problems they couldn't solve.

After some bickering, the rep finally agrees and she arranges new Blackberry, I think the 9700, because she doesn't like how her model keeps failing on her. Once she finishes the guy says she is going to owe about 300 bucks to complete the upgrade, since this only offers her a discount. I do the math and figure that she has already paid about 180 bucks out on this protection plan, and they want an additional 300 for her to get the phone. A quick google search determines she will pretty much be paying the entire full cost of the new phone.

I tell her to hang up on the guy. We wait a week and call back, and ask about upgrading her phone by extending her contract to 3 years (she had about 1.5 years left). They offer her a 3G iPhone, and a 3GS iPhone for the standard rates with a contract so we rework her plan so she saves about $20 a month plus the $10 she won't be putting into the protection plan. Essentially getting the phone for free due to the discounts.

Bottom line, these plans where you pay every month are highway robbery.

Put that $10 bucks into a enevlope in your bookshelf and if your phone dies go out and buy a new one, whichever model you want, for cash upfront. At least you know what you are getting and if your phone doesn't die, you can use the cash to buy a phone outright with no contract when yours is up.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #5
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

just get your phone with futureshop. Pay 10/month with them. If your phone fails then its a direct phone swap OR if they don't carry your phone you get an upgrade.

I went from a 8G 3G to a 32 3GS just because they didn't have any 8G in stock. The swap took 10 mins.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:54 PM   #6
Deuce Bigalow
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I insured my iPhone through meloche monnex (sp?) for $50/year, if anything happens to it (I throw it into a wall, drop it in the can, etc) I have to pay something like a $50 deductible and I get it fixed.

I'd recommend to go this route.
Deuce Bigalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:23 PM   #7
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Insurance on your phone is useless unless it covers you dropping it or losing it IMO.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:39 AM   #8
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well, yeah.... those are the two main ones I worry about. That and also it falling into my pool.

If I put $10 aside each month in a jar, I would save the $780 needed to replace my 32GB iPhone in 78 months. That's 6.5 years.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:11 AM   #9
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post
Well, yeah.... those are the two main ones I worry about. That and also it falling into my pool.

If I put $10 aside each month in a jar, I would save the $780 needed to replace my 32GB iPhone in 78 months. That's 6.5 years.
Yeah, but you'd be able to afford a second hand 32GB iPhone in much less time than 6.5 years. You've paid for a replacement as soon as your savings intersects the depreciated (secondary market) price.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:29 AM   #10
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It doesn't need to pay for your phone, it just needs to be more valuable than what you get from your protection plan. From the sounds of the Rogers plan mentioned in this thread, and the Bell plan my mom had, there is virtually no way that plan will replace the phone in its entirely.

It is going to provide you with a discounted, less expensive model, older phone that will still end up costing you money out of your pocket. Chances are you can get a similar phone for the same price used, or online somewhere (ebay, kijijiji, etc).
Old 08-23-2010, 12:56 PM   #11
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Quote:
I would *PAY* $10/month for insurance on my phone... meaning that if it gets stolen and file a police report that Rogers would replace the phone with an identical iPhone. I did ask my home owners insurance for a special rider but they wouldn't do it....
Futureshop's extra warranty is $10 a month and is in store, over the counter replacement with an identical phone, feature for feature comparable phone, or your choice depending on what your phone was worth at the time of purchase.

I bought it. I'm tough on phones.
alltherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #12
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Okay, but that won't cover if it is stolen. I guess it would cover if I dropped it in my swimming pool. "It just stopped working. I don't know why."
Old 08-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #13
yads
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I don't understand, how often are you dropping/losing your phone? I wrecked my phone once in the last 8 years and was able to get 3 year contract pricing when I did. If you're comfortable with contracts, you really only need to worry about the first 18-24 months of your contract.
yads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #14
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Contracts are for suckers.
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:42 PM   #15
yads
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOT View Post
Contracts are for suckers.
That's definitely true, unless you can get a killer deal on a plan. So is insurance though, for electronics.
yads is offline   Reply With Quote