Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Shaw PVR Audio Issue

Another Shaw pvr problem...
I use a Motorola 6416 connected to a Denon 2310CI receiver using the HDMI port. With increasing frequency, my audio would stop, sometimes preceeded by a screen flicker (common Shaw issue) and sometimes not. The audio wouldn't come back unless I did a momentary rewind/play on the PVR or switched channels. It would even occur while playing back recorded material. I tried disconnecting my external hard drive, switching HDMI ports on the receiver, swapping cables, reseating cables, getting a download from Shaw,finally tried bypassing the HDMI port on the receiver and just going straight to my Aquos (using a fibre optic cable on the receiver for sound). The problem persisted.
Finally I removed the HDMI cables and connected my old component video cables (one set from the pvr to the receiver, another from the receiver to the TV, using fibre for audio. This seems to have fixed the problem.
Anyone else with similiar issues? My Blu-Ray is connected using HDMI to the same receiver, with no audio problems at all. Is it a bandwidth issue with Shaw? HDMI handshake problem? I am hoping someone more versed in the technology can help me. Hope this isn't a fata. Thanks.

Last edited by Red Ice Player; 08-18-2010 at 10:17 PM. Reason: grammar
Red Ice Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

This sounds like something that used to be a common problem with my Shaw, although it was typically just the audio issue without any visual problems. Personally I have not experienced it in a few months, so I have assumed it was taken care of.

Maybe this is related?
Old 08-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #3
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
This sounds like something that used to be a common problem with my Shaw, although it was typically just the audio issue without any visual problems. Personally I have not experienced it in a few months, so I have assumed it was taken care of.

Maybe this is related?
The problem started a couple of months ago, seeming to be a variation on the old sound dropout issue we always seem to get from Shaw. Ironically the picture now looks better using the old school component video cables with the video output set at 720P. The sound quality is the same using fibre, since Shaw doesn't use any of the HD audio formats which require HDMI anyway. I'm just curious as to what causes the problem.
Red Ice Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:48 AM   #4
ericschand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hey Red Line, I have the exact same setup as you, except a Samsung TV.
Motrola 6416 -> Denon 2310CI -> Samsung TV using HDMI all the way through.
The same thing happens to me. I can't get through one TV show without it
occurring.

My guess is that it's the same as the sound dropout problem, but I don't know
for sure.

Is there anyone who works at Shaw that's able to inquire? Or am I forced to phone
Shaw?

ers
ericschand is offline   Reply With Quote