Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 08:34 PM   #1
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Call of Duty 4

Anybody play this yet? I just got it for the PC and multiplayer is a blast. Single player is supposed to be only about 5 hours long though. Already right now there are currently 7000+ players online for PC. I'd say so far this is more fun than COD and COD2 for online.
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

The trailers looked absolutely amazing.

Does the actual game look as good?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:20 PM   #3
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

The game is fantastic for the 360. I suck at multiplayer, but it's a ton of fun. I got it yesterday and have played for maybe an hour so far. No single play yet.
metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:54 PM   #4
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Started the single player part, game looks pretty amazing.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:17 AM   #5
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

The sniper mission is one of my best gaming experiences of all time (until the end which is impossible).

I'd say the variation in locales and moods makes this game possibly more...pretty...than Crysis ever will be. There's just a certain ambience in it for some reason, especially in Chernobyl.

Anyway, if you think the SP is short, make sure to play it on Vetran and you may never pass the game. I started the game on vetran and it's killing me. It might take weeks to pass at this rate because I'm playing certain parts of levels dozens of times over.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:47 AM   #6
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe thats fun for you, but for me having to re do a part over and over again gets kind of boring after the 5th time. I played on veteran on the demo level and kept getting killed from stupid grenades that guys can launch 100 yards that land at your feet.

And when you'd get to the roftop to hit the tanks with the anti tank weapon, it's nearly impossible to shot the thing off without getting shot because you have to be in the open.

I'll buy it and play it when I get the time. Everyone I talk to says it's amazing, but i'm a little more skeptical.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:49 AM   #7
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Got mine yesterday aswell. Online is intense 100% of the time. Explosions, smoke, choppers, planes flying all the around blowing shiz up.

Haven't tried single player yet, but I'm in love with the multiplayer part of the game.
BlAcKNoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:32 AM   #8
photon

Exp:

Lol the AC-130 sequence is awesome. Nothing like killing guys with a 105mm gun.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:47 AM   #9
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

The AC-130 level is probably the most fun I've had in a game for a long time. Also it looks straight out of news footage from Iraq.

The game really is like playing a movie, I was so engrossed with it last night and now just want to go home from work and play more.

Also the game plays really well on my 6600GT which I was pleasantly surprised with.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:47 AM   #10
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
Maybe thats fun for you, but for me having to re do a part over and over again gets kind of boring after the 5th time. I played on veteran on the demo level and kept getting killed from stupid grenades that guys can launch 100 yards that land at your feet.

And when you'd get to the roftop to hit the tanks with the anti tank weapon, it's nearly impossible to shot the thing off without getting shot because you have to be in the open.
That's the thing. Every game can be made "longer" by making it ridiculously difficult - it doesn't add anything to the game though. Why can't developers realize that online multiplayer isn't all there is to gaming?

From all I've read CoD4 sounds like a great game, but a 5-hour single player campaign is an absolute joke. I'll probably still get it (although it's hard to say with a lot of great PC shooters coming out), but it's disappointing that games like the Halflife series are becoming more and more rare by the day..
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:24 PM   #11
photon

Exp:

Wow, short game, but intense. Finished it. The sniper mission is crazy.

Borrow it if you can, tough to justify buying it for the short single player game if you don't intend to do multiplayer, but holy crap is it worth it. One of the best single player experiences in a long time.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:33 PM   #12
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Yeah, I think I'll rent this. I played through CoD 3 twice on the 360. Second time on Veteran, and damn that's tough. 5-6 single player is definitely on the short side and I don't play a lot of multilayer shooters with the exception of Team Fortress 2.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:43 PM   #13
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Very short, intense and nothing you haven't played 100 times before. If you are a multiplayer guy you should have some good times with the game. If you don't play MP and are a single player guy your $$$ might be better spent on Asasians Creed or Mass Effect in the comming weeks.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:22 PM   #14
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

The graphics are nothing short of amazing. The first mission on the ship is jaw dropping! Yeah, I've played other games like it but the scripted events in COD are incredible and so much fun. I'll be playing MP likely but even so would consider it a worthwhile investment even for the short SP, it's that good.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:02 PM   #15
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post

I'll buy it and play it when I get the time. Everyone I talk to says it's amazing, but i'm a little more skeptical.
To be honest, the demo mission was probably one of the most boring ones in the game, but I guess they included it because it gives you some idea of the variety of gameplay.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:08 PM   #16
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP View Post
That's the thing. Every game can be made "longer" by making it ridiculously difficult - it doesn't add anything to the game though. Why can't developers realize that online multiplayer isn't all there is to gaming?

From all I've read CoD4 sounds like a great game, but a 5-hour single player campaign is an absolute joke. I'll probably still get it (although it's hard to say with a lot of great PC shooters coming out), but it's disappointing that games like the Halflife series are becoming more and more rare by the day..
Frankly, Half-Life bores me to death, it's so linear and constricting. COD4 at least gives you some choice of alternate routes and a little sandbox gaming. Increasing the difficulty does make the game better IMHO, it adds a lot because it changes the whole way you play the game. You either get desperate or get creative in dealing with the way the game AI works. I've just passed it in Vetran mode, it probably took 25 hours of gaming altogether, playing many missions over and over again. You really need to have some very creative tactics to get past some of the missions in vetran mode, even if it means exploiting the game, then that's puzzle solving by itself.

There is stealth in this game (not just the sniper mission) if you didn't realize it - there are many missions where you can actually sneak through if you kill enemies without too much noise. If you can do it properly with stealth, you can sneak through the mission without it throwing hundreds of enemies at you. Once you set off a guard or somebody cries out, you see doors open and guards start pouring in. It's very tough to be stealthy, once little yelp from the soldier will make the game send hordes of enemies at you.

The only games I really enjoy are the kind that make you play over and over again to try to pass a level (like old style games) so this suits me fine. Half-Life 2 bored me to tears. I could probably get 10x the gameplay out of COD4 than Half-Life 2 (and I just passed Episode 2 just to get it over with and get the story, will never replay that ever again). COD4 gives you a sense of immersion in a real world - yet cinematic experience. Half-Life feels like you are in a comic book. Maybe my problem is I just never acclimated to the story of Half-Life 2. I liked Half-Life 1 but HL2's world was just an immense jump into a place I didn't really want to be and therefore playing that game was a struggle to keep my interest.

The gnome addition was the best thing in EP2 in my opinion, gave me a challenging concept I had to try over and over again to actually accomplish.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-08-2007 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:55 PM   #17
greerb
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Has anyone played it for PS3 yet? I am planning on picking it up next week on payday. Since trading in my gen 1 360 this past Monday for a PS3 I am fairly dissapointed with the game quality of NHL and Madden 08. But finally having both a Blu-ray and a HDDVD player is great. I'm hoping COD 4 is not a huge letdown on the PS3.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:02 AM   #18
Shawnski
CP's Resident DJ

Exp:

Wow, played some of the single player mode, very nice.

But the multiplayer side takes it to a whole new level. Two thumbs up (and a big toe.)
Shawnski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:34 AM   #19
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greerb View Post
Has anyone played it for PS3 yet? I am planning on picking it up next week on payday. Since trading in my gen 1 360 this past Monday for a PS3 I am fairly dissapointed with the game quality of NHL and Madden 08. But finally having both a Blu-ray and a HDDVD player is great. I'm hoping COD 4 is not a huge letdown on the PS3.
from what I have read it's not a let down.
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:45 AM   #20
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Penny Arcades comment on CoD4:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/11/09

Made me laugh.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote