Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2017, 08:29 AM   #41
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will post results in the spoiler tag after the episode airs to allow posters time to catch up to the episode.

I was happy with how the season started though!

Last edited by Otto-matic; 07-05-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:46 AM   #42
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol, my first pick whens that leg, my last pick gets the boot.

Decent teams, great challenges. I was surprised the girls didn't finish last despite their penalty.

Next episode looks great! The skeet shooting should be amusing.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:06 AM   #43
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

While I don't have a problem with people using the penalty, since it's clearly part of the game, the fact that it was taken pretty much first thing annoyed me. Clearly the penalty is too easy or the task is too difficult if that's an easy go-to option. Maybe what I'd like to see is increasing penalties. So, you take it once and it's two hours, but if you take another one, it's four hours, etc. That way it's there for extraordinary circumstances, but teams aren't encouraged to take it whenever a difficult task comes along.

The girls who took the penalty did well on the tasks that followed, and the last two teams were really bad, so I was glad that one of them was eliminated.
Amethyst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:28 AM   #44
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think a penalty should even be an option. You stay at it all day. If you can't complete it, you go home. If you give up, the host comes and makes fun of you (similar to MTV's "The Challenge"). It's The Amazing Race, you take a penalty on the first challenge? Get real. There are thousands of other people who would be thrilled to be in your position and not be such a lame quitter.

Was really hoping they were going to go home after that.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2017, 04:02 PM   #45
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I don't think a penalty should even be an option. You stay at it all day. If you can't complete it, you go home. If you give up, the host comes and makes fun of you (similar to MTV's "The Challenge"). It's The Amazing Race, you take a penalty on the first challenge? Get real. There are thousands of other people who would be thrilled to be in your position and not be such a lame quitter.

Was really hoping they were going to go home after that.
I'd be fine with them doing away with it, although I think they need to keep it just to make sure things move along. If one team can't get a task, they can be eliminated, but what if several can't? You either end up like the first season where one (or more) team is so far behind that it is a logistical nightmare for filming or everything gets backed up so that you are way behind schedule for the race overall.

However, if they are going to allow teams to skip a task and incur a two hour penalty, then I don't think there's anything wrong with a team making that decision. They are playing within the rules. What I do think though is that the penalty should be severe enough that it's not an "easy" decision. I'd rather it be more of a hail mary type thing rather than something people do on a regular basis. A past season, several teams were taking penalties quite often and that frustrated me, because I wanted to watch the tasks.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:13 PM   #46
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was actually surprised that there was enough separation from first to last that the two-hour penalty didn't kill them right away. The other teams must have really struggled.

It's weird that the Canadian teams are much more willing to take penalties than the American teams are. Maybe they need to increase the penalty time.

If you're not willing to even attempt the very first challenge of the race, you should just be automatically eliminated.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:23 PM   #47
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

That bike polo challenge was pathetic. The Brian Elliot they had in net didn't even try to make a save.
Johnny Makarov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:18 PM   #48
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that was predictable. If you are going to have a mother/son team, at least make sure the mother is somewhat capable at athletics. I really prefer watching teams who don't flail. How can so many be so bad at riding a bike??? The hockey players in the first season were a treat to watch. Most of these teams it is painful.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:17 PM   #49
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

ive seen other versions (from asia) and they make you take the 2 hour penalty on the spot.

I think the Canadian version is too nice and they like the drama of the countdown clock at the end with a team waiting.

----

morse code! anyone can do any morse code problem in 30 minutes tops

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 07:41 AM   #50
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

This episode wasn't overly entertaining. Some of those shots of Fort Mac from the air, it's crazy to see the devastation. A lot of rebuilding going on as well which is also great to see.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:48 AM   #51
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good too see Ft.Mac starting to get back on its feet.

Strange they're heading back to BC again. I wonder if they are just doing a solely Canada stops edition and skipped the international travel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 12:07 PM   #52
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I sure as hell hope not. I assumed their return to BC was to eventually use Vancouver Intl to get somewhere in Asia.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #53
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't be surprised if they stayed in Canada the whole time because of the 150th Anniversary.

On the other hand, one of their main sponsors this season is a company that specializes in travel to Asia, so you'd think they'd want to showcase some of their destinations.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:07 PM   #54
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, that too.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:22 PM   #55
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hope they have a mix of Canadian and international travel. I found the all-Canadian version okay for the first time, but a big part of the appeal to me is seeing other countries and having teams deal with international travel and language barriers.

I missed the first twenty minutes or so. By the time I started watching, the teams seemed to be in a really weird order. Did some teams go for the express passes and not get them, putting them behind or was it something else?
Old 07-12-2017, 03:29 PM   #56
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Upcoming leg locations
Spoiler!

Old 07-12-2017, 05:37 PM   #57
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I missed the first twenty minutes or so. By the time I started watching, the teams seemed to be in a really weird order. Did some teams go for the express passes and not get them, putting them behind or was it something else?
Everyone flew to Fort Mac on the same flight, so last week's finish order didn't matter.

When they landed, they had to drive to an adventure park. At the park, they had to climb all over trying to find three different numbered tags that were hidden in little pouches on the course. That's also where the Express Passes were hidden, so it was just luck for a team to get the Express Passes. As it turned out, one team found all three Express Passes (Team Give'r).

Some teams took the wrong turn leaving the airport and went a long way in the wrong direction. That caused those teams to fall behind. The team that got the most-lost, however, was the brother-sister team and then they got lucky at the adventure course and found all three clues right away and leapfrogged a couple other teams.

BTW, you can stream the part you missed at CTV.ca.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:52 AM   #58
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
YouTube stars Dan Kipnis and Riya Malik had one strategy going into The Amazing Race Canada this season – cheat.

“Mine was to cheat,” Dan, 23, laughed following Tuesday night’s elimination episode. “If I was able to look over someone’s shoulder to see their answer I definitely would. It’s kind of how we figured out the Morse code challenge in the first episode. We’re not exactly the strongest team, so we tried to use our little ways when we could.”
http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/07/12...o-cheat-to-win
Old 07-13-2017, 08:53 AM   #59
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The seemed to think they were way awesomer people than they are.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:16 AM   #60
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Everyone flew to Fort Mac on the same flight, so last week's finish order didn't matter.

When they landed, they had to drive to an adventure park. At the park, they had to climb all over trying to find three different numbered tags that were hidden in little pouches on the course. That's also where the Express Passes were hidden, so it was just luck for a team to get the Express Passes. As it turned out, one team found all three Express Passes (Team Give'r).

Some teams took the wrong turn leaving the airport and went a long way in the wrong direction. That caused those teams to fall behind. The team that got the most-lost, however, was the brother-sister team and then they got lucky at the adventure course and found all three clues right away and leapfrogged a couple other teams.

BTW, you can stream the part you missed at CTV.ca.
The getting on the same flight part always bothered me. Is the 1st place team really at the airport at 2am while the last place team gets there at 7am? That's a 5 hour sleep advantage for the last place team.

Or is that just editing?

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post: