Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-08-2016, 01:12 PM   #41
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
it is a one-trick pony that sells for one reason: nostalgia. And there is a finite supply of that,
To a point I guess, but how many people buying these shelled out for the same games on Virtual Console, or remixed or re-releases on SNES,GBA WII, WIIU, etc...

How popular was Super Mario All Stars, which was essentially* also banking on nostalgia?

I don't know if the choice to limit supplies is going to create and keep more interest after Christmas or not, but I'm pretty sure Nintendo's nostalgia bank runs pretty deep.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:12 PM   #42
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nintendo really screwed this up IMO.

I kinda thought that at first they were doing the shortages to generate hype but that by Christmas they would bring in more stock to make sure to meet the demand.

They are going to completely miss their window on this though IMO. It will still sell well in the New Year but not near what they could have done if they had inventory these next 2 weeks.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:13 PM   #43
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I really don't understand Nintendo's end game strategy with the NES Classic. This is definitely an impulse buy type item. They should be stocking EVERYWHERE with these, right near the checkout aisles. They'd be flying off the shelves. Instead, they create this BS demand by purposely choking their own supply of them. They've totally dropped the ball on potentially making mounds of cash off this thing, and for what purpose? To drive up hype and piss off consumers?
This is Nintendo's strategy for literally everything and it is awful. I think they lose out on a lot of money simply by not having enough supply. Not having enough in stock forces people to buy through ebay at ridiculous prices which doesn't benefit Nintendo. It also discourages the impulse buy. I know for me, I ran out to buy a Gamecube adapter and some controllers to play Smash Bros for the Wii U but I couldn't find any. By the time Nintendo managed to get them back in stores I no longer had any interest in buying one. It's ####ing stupid. Nintendo is their own worst enemy.

Last edited by cDnStealth; 12-08-2016 at 02:15 PM.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:18 PM   #44
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
This is Nintendo's strategy for literally everything and it is awful. I think they lose out on a lot of money simply by not having enough supply. Not having enough in stock forces people to buy through ebay at ridiculous prices which doesn't benefit Nintendo. It also discourages the impulse buy. I know for me, I ran out to buy a Gamecube adapter and some controllers to play Smash Bros for the Wii U but I couldn't find any. By the time Nintendo managed to get them back in stores I no longer had any interest in buying one. It's ####ing stupid. Nintendo is their own worst enemey.
I am in the same boat with this.

When this came out I went by Wal-Mart in the morning and if they were readily available I'm sure I would have impulse bought one.

But now a couple of weeks later I don't really care anymore. Have thought about it a little more, looked at the games it includes, and decided I'm not really interested.

Once Christmas passes I am sure that it will be a similar experience for most people.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2016, 01:34 PM   #45
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

also losers: retail staff that are already dealing with the xmas rush, and now on top of that have to spend time dealing with angry shoppers that can't find a NES at their store.

I might be the only person on earth that rented and enjoyed Silent Service 5+ times, so for the game lineup it ships with, I may not even be their target audience.
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:35 PM   #46
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't get over how you can't expand the game library...Nintendo could have had a goldmine selling its old games again for $10 online

Honestly this thing is just emulation...it looks cool but you could have the whole library on your PC or phone right now for free
Old 12-08-2016, 01:47 PM   #47
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I can't get over how you can't expand the game library...Nintendo could have had a goldmine selling its old games again for $10 online

Honestly this thing is just emulation...it looks cool but you could have the whole library on your PC or phone right now for free
This isn't a full console release. This thing is pretty much an emulation machine with a nice nostalgic outer shell. They already have the Virtual Console and eShop (on the Wii, Wii U and 3DS) if you really are willing to pay for the old games. It's not ideal but frankly, I think people complain enough as it is for their prices of their old games. Nevermind $10 a pop.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:53 PM   #48
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I recently bought a cool portable 14" CRT from a thrift store. I'm going to go find my NES in my parent's basement and put a flashcart inside and have more authentic joy than the NES Mini would ever give me.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #49
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
This isn't a full console release. This thing is pretty much an emulation machine with a nice nostalgic outer shell. They already have the Virtual Console and eShop (on the Wii, Wii U and 3DS) if you really are willing to pay for the old games. It's not ideal but frankly, I think people complain enough as it is for their prices of their old games. Nevermind $10 a pop.
I'm not saying it would be a good deal...I'm saying they really missed the boat with the NES mini...would have sold like hotcakes if available (massive install base) and people would continually buy more games for it if possible.

Anyway, I have my old NES with multiple games I have collected plus a flash cart with the whole library so I am set. And my Punchout! actually has Tyson not some random as the final boss
Old 12-08-2016, 02:21 PM   #50
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

For those that have one - how does it look on a big screen? I have a 50" LED and was wondering how the games would look - like HD channels or more like a regular (non HD channel) that doesn't cover the whole screen?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:34 PM   #51
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The NES CE outputs in high-definition and allows a limited selection of display options. You can set the system to 4:3 mode to imitate the proportions of classic TVs, to true-pixel mode to see the games with perfect, undistorted graphics, or the CRT mode to see everything through a fuzzy, imperfect filter that resembles a cheap connection on an old TV.
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/nes-...endos-nes-mini
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2016, 02:34 PM   #52
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
For those that have one - how does it look on a big screen? I have a 50" LED and was wondering how the games would look - like HD channels or more like a regular (non HD channel) that doesn't cover the whole screen?
There are multiple screen modes that you can choose. The best is pixel perfect doubling. The original games were designed in a 1:1 aspect (a pixel is a perfect square afterall) so you can't get around that without distorting the games. There's no way to expand to full widescreen without having glitches or stretched pixels. Even 4:3 is slightly stretched from pixel perfect.

Really easy to google or youtube
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2016, 03:42 PM   #53
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Even with the extended supply crunch Nintendo had with the Wii, they still sold over 100 million of them over its lifespan. Hard to say if that number would be that different if they were able to meet demand initially. Between that and the sustained hype for Amiibos until they caught up to demand, I don't think they're too concerned with losing many sales. In the end, if you really want it now, you'll either go to the second hand market or wait it out at a store.

I also wanted to add that if you have a Wii U collecting dust, it's a pretty great Virtual Console machine as well due to the fact that you can play the games on the gamepad only. Getting better at Super Castlevania IV with save states has made life much easier for me!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2016, 04:20 PM   #54
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I built myself a Raspberry Pi based emulator that lets me run Nintendo, SNES, Genesis, Sega Saturn, N64 and Playstation games. I'm working on getting USB based controllers for each one as well.

Debating selling these machines if there is any demand.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:04 AM   #55
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
I built myself a Raspberry Pi based emulator that lets me run Nintendo, SNES, Genesis, Sega Saturn, N64 and Playstation games. I'm working on getting USB based controllers for each one as well.

How much?
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Superflyer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2016, 08:09 AM   #56
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post

I have no idea what you're talking about, but I am intrigued.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2016, 08:19 AM   #57
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about, but I am intrigued.
Raspberry Pi is like a very small computer, like palm sized. It has very little resources so it is not like a computer you use for everyday use but it is very good as small things, such as running an emulator. They usually run on a memory card for the hard drive. They also have ports for USB, network and video output.
I have seen people do some really cool things with them like setting up audio and light shows, smart mirrors, and robots. Really the sky is the limit with these things.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Superflyer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2016, 08:21 AM   #58
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not only is it hard to get the systems, the people who have the systems are struggling to get their hands on another controller! Part of the fun of these classic consoles is the 2-player component.

I managed to get my hands on one of the systems from TheSource.ca the night before they were officially released. It's fun, however, definitely not worth the huge mark-up people are asking.

I think a lot of the appeal is the HDMI port. Although a lot of the games are available on the Virtual Console, most people don't have the Wii U and the regular Wii doesn't have HDMI.
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:23 AM   #59
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

A Raspberry Pi can be setup to run as an emulator all the way up to PS1 games. So if you buy a cheap Pi http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX61462

Then just put an image on the flash card and use a controller like PS3 wired or wireless with a Bluetooth adapter.

http://www.emulationstation.org/gettingstarted.html

The basics but if you want an all in 1 HDMI solution with crisp graphics you can't go wrong with Pi.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2016, 08:31 AM   #60
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wanted to try and make a portable Pi using http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX59330

Its on my to do list
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote